XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Do You Guys Keep Rear Fogs On?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Do You Guys Keep Rear Fogs On?

So I was thinking the fog light switch operated some sort of front fog light. Tested it last week and noticed it was in the rear like on my last XJR. Only these are very cool looking instead of just some bright square tail light.

So without them on the rear lights look like one "less than" and one "greater than" sign < > as those are the only things illuminated. To me the full dotted circle LED's look way cooler. But I wonder:

1) Are they too bright for folks behind you and...

2) If not is there a way to program them to come on whenever the lights come on so you don't have to keep pressing the button?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
So I was thinking the fog light switch operated some sort of front fog light. Tested it last week and noticed it was in the rear like on my last XJR. Only these are very cool looking instead of just some bright square tail light.

So without them on the rear lights look like one "less than" and one "greater than" sign < > as those are the only things illuminated. To me the full dotted circle LED's look way cooler. But I wonder:

1) Are they too bright for folks behind you and...

2) If not is there a way to program them to come on whenever the lights come on so you don't have to keep pressing the button?
I really am going to step out hard on this one...

I can attest to post after post through the years on many car sites that YES they are way too bright for daily use. You will certainty gain notoriety from many drivers trapped in traffic behind you, posting cell phone shots of the rear of your car along with many endearing terms such as Idiot, Moron, and Stupid Teenage Drivers.....

In a word... don't do it...

Most drivers consider it rude, annoying, and like myself with light sensitive eyes... very painful...
I can certainly see it as a predecessor to road rage these days as well.

End of rant
Vince
http://youtu.be/6actEtrOA78

Last edited by CleverName; 04-16-2012 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Rocket Launch

I am a child in a man's body and not afraid to admit it... Tha being said I treat the fog lights like rockets lit to thrust In other words if I have someone tailgaiting me or to close to my bumper at the lights I like to flick the fog lights on then LAUNCH IT! Pedal to the metal, leaving them in the dust... c-ya wouldn't want to be ya!

Other than that I shut them off til the next time to launch... I agree with Vince, leaving them on all the time will just annoy other drivers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike V:
Big Otter (03-01-2017), gunlover (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I'm with Vince, please don't drive with either the rear or front fogs on in normal conditions.

Especially at night.

All you achieve is blinding the other driver.

Which kind of defeats the point.

Do you really want me driving behind you with my eyes half shut, or looking out of the side window?

Or would you prefer me to notice that you have touched your brakes, or that we are approaching almost head on?

In a couple of weeks, we will hit a time of year when we get some very dense pea-souper early morning sea mists (hand in front of your face stuff), about the only time of year that these things may be useful, and then only for following the track of the car in front. Which is wrong anyway because a driver would not be driving subject to road visibility conditions.

And if it is a dark rainy but clear night.....Arghhh.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I seldom drive in a city or town but am considering this to avoid getting rear-ended...

Products

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

It's actually illegal to use them in the UK unless there is bad visibility due to the dazzle hazard.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,750 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Needless use of fog lamps/driving lamps is one of my favorite rants ! :-).

The other day I had my fogs on.....a very rare thing for me but I actually felt that I needed them. I was totally mortified when I realized I had forgotten to turn them off. Now everyone was thinking that * I * was one of those a**holes who leaves his fogs on for the cool factor. Arrrrgh!

It would've been nice if Jaguar included a fog lamp indicator in the instrument cluster. On the X300s the warning indicators are incorporated into the switches and thus fully obscured by the steering wheel.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't sit in a car behind mine with them on... Hence the question. I simply liked the shape of the lights rather than just the corners on. Wish Jag lit up the circular part as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

They're pretty bright... which is great for foggy mornings! I use them when there is reduced visibility in fog or heavy rain. But they're definitely bright enough (at least in the LED versions on the 10+) to cause a little eye pain if you're in the line of fire.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjk
I seldom drive in a city or town but am considering this to avoid getting rear-ended...

Products
I already have this installed on my Jag. (except I have the "delay" version)
Had it on my last two cars as well, and worth the money...

Vince

The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
It would've been nice if Jaguar included a fog lamp indicator in the instrument cluster. On the X300s the warning indicators are incorporated into the switches and thus fully obscured by the steering wheel.

Cheers
DD

But there is an indicator in the instrument cluster! Or at least there is in the UK. A green indicator for front fog lights and an orange one for the rears.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Default Warning

Originally Posted by manicguitarist
But there is an indicator in the instrument cluster! Or at least there is in the UK. A green indicator for front fog lights and an orange one for the rears.

No, no, no, you are mistaken the orange one is the "Imminent Burnout Warning" indicator to warn tailgaters and those who creep too close to your rear bumper that the rubber is about to fly.

I'm telling you Jaguar thought of everything

Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,750 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by manicguitarist

That's good to know. Either my bulbs are burned out or the lamps are defeated on the USA models...which wouldn't make sense.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add fyi....

As most will know, 99% of rear end collisions are the fault of the rear car.
However.... the 1% of the exceptions are those that have been PROVEN to have had their fog lamps on at the time of the collision.

The reason for this is that the Fog lamps are often the same intensity, if not stronger, than the brake lights.

How do they know?
well, after the checks have been made as to vehicle speeds, (which will assymilate distance between cars), the elements of the bulbs will "break" differently, thus telling the assessors whether the fog lights were on (legally or otherwise) or not.

Apart from that, it's FRICKING ANNOYING!!!!
Fronts, however, not so bad, they DO look cool, and point downwards!

In my opinion, you wouldn't drive around with your high beam on full all the time, so why would you drive with rear fogs? They're ugly too!
If you want looks... then get a great looking extra set of led's etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

I had a look at Topix and the handbook (2010) shows the rear fog warning light to the right of the high beam light on the tach.
I don't see the front one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
instruments.pdf (208.7 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Norri; 04-17-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default rear fog lights

I live at the NJ shore and we get fog so thick at times I can barely see the leaper. I agree with the replies here with this being the only time the rear fogs come in handy and should be used.

I have been on the road at times when i only noticed the car in front when his break lights came on. The trunk on the XJ is small enough so using the rear fogs during limited visibility I feel will help to keep other cars out of my trunk saving space for my clubs.

I also agree with the one post that states the rear fogs are as bright as the brake light, but even with that said, if one can not notice the brake lights comming on when the rear fogs are on they should not be on the road, fog or not.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by LunarWolf
Just to add fyi....

As most will know, 99% of rear end collisions are the fault of the rear car.
However.... the 1% of the exceptions are those that have been PROVEN to have had their fog lamps on at the time of the collision.
Ha, that reminds me, another great way to deal with daytime tailgaters is; as they continue to try and drive up your tailpipe quickly turn on your lights... to them it looks like your braking when your not and then they brake hard for no reason HAHAHAHAHA

Just another Masshole Road Rules tip.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I know that I will be on most your crap lists but I run mine. Here in the moron city I live in, the drivers seem to see how close they can get to you. I actually leave my rear fog on so I can gauge how close the bumper rider is to me at night. I have on several times at red lights, gotten out and walked behind my car just to see how close they are. Day or night, they do the same thing.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The rule in the uk is that if visibility is less than ( I think) 100metres you have to have your fog lights on. And at no other time.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Default You could use my tips

Originally Posted by 07XKJaguar
I know that I will be on most your crap lists but I run mine. Here in the moron city I live in, the drivers seem to see how close they can get to you. I actually leave my rear fog on so I can gauge how close the bumper rider is to me at night. I have on several times at red lights, gotten out and walked behind my car just to see how close they are. Day or night, they do the same thing.
Sounds like Alabama is the Massachusetts of the south...

I manually turn on my parking sensors to see how close jerks creep up to the rear bumper at the lights, no flatlines yet thank goodness.

Quick Reply: Do You Guys Keep Rear Fogs On?