XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Does anyone else's car have this unusual problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone else's car have this unusual problem?

Hello and hope you are all fit and well.
My first post I think so please be generous and kind or my mom will be very upset.

I have a 2010 XKR convertible which had 18 K miles on it when I bought it nearly two years ago and now has 42K miles on it and is my DD.
I love the bloody thing and still get a thrill every time I get in the car and press the button.

I have an I-Phone 6 which has always connected to the car as soon as i get in it and the phone function works perfectly with the car as it should.
Just after buying the car and reading up on the forums here I ventured out and bought a Bovee BT module thingy that plugs straight into my "original" I-Pod cable and hey presto, streaming music and audio books through my cars stereo system.

Just recently the car has started having an unusual tantrum in so much as when I now get in the car the I-Pod connection is on permanent pause and there seems nothing I can do to make it not do this. It will not play any audio from my phone except the actual phone calls which still works as it should.

So, what did I try:
I purchased a new I-Pod cable from Jaguar which made no difference.
I deleted my phone from the car and re-paired it again, which made no difference.
I have tried re-docking the I-pod cable/device many, many times, you guessed it, no difference.
I made sure that I have music on my phone which made no difference.
I replaced the cars battery which made no difference.
I worshipped at the alter of Cetek which made no difference.
Finally and after exhausting everything else I could think of I tried starting the car whilst holding a pint of Newcastle brown Ale in one hand, wearing a union jack pork pie hat and singing a rousing rendition of "Rule Britannia" and...... well you get the message.

So, it occurs to me that my BT module in the car is stuffed but if that is the case how can I still pair the phone at all and it still works as it should.
Just to add to the confusion (my semi permanent state by the way) just a few days ago when I started the car, the bloody thing started streaming from my Spotify through the cars stereo system.
Great I thought, its magically fixed itself somehow and off I went on my 17 mile commute to the place where they keep the grindstone to which I press my nose firmly each day.
I swore I had a wee skip in my step that morning!!

Alas, it was not to be as when I returned to the car to start my journey home that evening the bloody thing was paused again and has not been heard from since.

Believe it or not I have actually done my due diligence and searched and searched these forums and read most phone related posts, I even understood a couple of them, but I don't seem to be able to find one that quite replicates this behaviour from my car and so I have plucked up the courage to ask for help from this fine forum.

Any ideas ladies and gents??

Old 06-09-2018, 05:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Welcome to the forum gisherton,

Your post was "locked for moderation" which explains why there haven't been any replies. I've cleared it now.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I can't speak to Iphones and their connectivity but, if you think it is possible that the BT module is wonky, check the battery voltage. As you read various forums you'll notice these cars are extremely sensitive to low voltage. With the car sitting idle for at least 10mins the voltage at the battery's terminals should not be below 12.6V. Low voltage will throw strange DTC's and the like.

Hopefully other members will chime in on iphone specific advise.

gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by gisherton
I made sure that I have music on my phone which made no difference.
This is the usual reason for it constantly pausing so I assume you mean that you have some music loaded through itunes on it and not just offline Spotify tracks? If so, have you tried playing those tracks?

The only other thing I have seen people mention is to try disabling Siri. I used an iPhone 6 Plus and an 8 Plus with my '07 XKR and it just worked.

gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

After originally purchasing my 13 XKR I went through a similar issue, For me what worked was placing songs in my iTunes, making sure to close ALL apps before plugging into car. And pushing the play button in the audio section on the actual center infotainment screen...Only then would it pick up the songs in my iTunes, After getting initial sound I could simply open up Spotify and have free flow enjoyment of my music.
Only happened to me after a iTunes update don’t know what caused it but just glad I found a solution hope it helps you out. Good luck
-dag

gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Bluetooth phone and the iPod connection are completely unrelated, so it's nothing to do with your phone module, if you can make/receive calls then nothing to with the phone module whatsoever.

If you can plug an iPod loaded with songs into the iPod connector and it works, then there's no issue with the car systems.

As mentioned you need to have at least one song on the phone, loaded by iTunes, in order for the Bovee to work, the car has to "see an iPod with a song on it" in order to engage the iPod functions.

gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol, the problems are annoying, but the solution is so simple.

You need to have at least ONE music file in your official iphone music app.

Use iTunes to sync at least one music file.

I use this blank file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ef27aitzf...0Song.m4a?dl=0

For music I use Deezer, so this problem was a big pain in the a$$ with IOS 11.

P.S. The phone must be connected to two BT devices:
- the car (for calls)
- the BT music device

Last edited by Nosferatu; 06-10-2018 at 01:45 AM.
gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

OR, get any Android and all these problems disappear.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
barnsie (11-06-2020), envincibal (06-13-2018), gisherton (06-10-2018), MarkyUK (08-25-2018), Norri (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Cee Jay (06-10-2018), gisherton (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 10:20 PM

Thank you all for the replies and to GGG for informing me to post an intro in the relevant place which I have now done.
All good suggestions and there are a couple of things mentioned which i will try when i get in the car tomorrow as follow's:

Make sure I have I-tunes music files on the phone but I'm 99% sure I have, as mentioned the device will stream occasionally and it has worked seamlessly in the past.
I will ensure the car is fully charged but it lives on a Cetek every night and has a new battery so I don't think that is the problem, I wish it was that simple.
I will close all other apps before connecting the phone to the car (I hadn't tried this one before).
I do have an I-Pod classic which i use in the car on the same Jaguar cable and it does exactly the same as the phone, sometimes it just works but most of the time it will dock the device and then immediately pause and no amount of re-docking or button pressing will help, either on the cars screen or my devices.
I will connect my wife's Samsung to the car and see if that makes a difference, if it does then i guess its goodbye I-Phone....

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to try and help with great advice.
I'll let you know what happens.

GGG (06-11-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Update for those still interested and based on the previous suggestions by you kind folks:

Car was fully charged and voltage checked and all Ok.
Closed all other Apps on my phone and ensured that i had a I-Tunes file ready to play (billy Joel?)
Deleted my phone from the car and re paired once again.
Same with the Bovee.
Bovee and phone both connected successfully.

I started the car and the portable audio connection tried to dock the i-pod and phone (i tried both) and the screen just showed that it was permanently paused again on both devices.
This takes between 20-30 seconds from the time it states Docking I-Pod to stating "paused".
The screens also shows "no playable audio" when i check the folders.
I get no result by pressing play on the cars info screen.

I then tried the same thing with my wife's Samsung and had exactly the same result so it doesn't appear to be just an Apple thing.

The strange thing is that it does work on occasion but I never know when and I cant replicate it.

Do you think it might just be a bad connection in my centre console where i plug in the 30 pin connector next to the USB port.
The USB port works fine by the way and will play songs from a portable device all day long.

Anything else I should try that you can think of at all before I go "all Elvis" on the bloody thing and shoot it.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 AM

I'm still looking for help on this strange problem if anyone has any further suggestions.
I have tried everything that has been suggested and I still get exactly the same results being that sometimes the car will just stream from my phone automatically when i get in and turn it on and other times it will not.
When it doesnt, there is no combination of things that you all have suggested that will make any difference, it will not work.
The next day I can get in the car and not do anything and it will work immediately.

Could it possibly be the actual 30 pin connector in the centre console that is loose or just going bad (I mean the plug/jack part that I actually plug the cable into).
Has anyone suffered this before and changed out that part and if so was it successful?

Sorry to keep this thread alive but this is extremely frustrating trying to replicate conditions and getting nowhere.

All and any help will be gratefully received.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Your expecting Joseph Lucas' and Steve Jobs' love children to play nice together. Forget-about-it...

gisherton (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
OR, get any Android and all these problems disappear.
What do you use to stream music via Bluetooth? From what i've read, the Bovee WMA1000 works with iPhones, not Androids. I have a Galaxy S8.

I've been using an ancient iPod nano to stream music and it works great, including the steering wheel controls. I'm too lazy to copy the songs from my S8 to that iPod.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-20-2018 at 12:44 PM.
gisherton (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Ranchero:

Thanks for the answer but I'm trying to figure out why they play nice sometimes but not always.

Stuart,
I do indeed use the Bovee WMA1000. The problem is that it works sometimes but not all the time and its becoming increasingly more unreliable of late.
I have read all the usual threads and have gone through extensive procedures to check all cables, different phones, music in my library etc etc and hence why I was asking if anyone had actually replaced the physical connector in the glove box because for the life of me i cant think what else it can be.
The Bovee and my phone connect all the time but more often than not now the car will dock the device (either phone or I-pod) and then immediately pause and it seems there is nothing i can do to un-pause it.
On occasion when I get in the car, with exactly the same set up, the car will stream effortlessly from the phone although those occasions are becoming less frequent.

Thanks for the time guys, much appreciated.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

As Cambo notes, the vehicle's phone bluetooth module is unrelated to the iPod connectivity module. They are separate and distinct technologies and nothing to do with each other. Your Bovee should connect to your phone regardless of whether your phone is connected to the car and you should get music.

Have you tried:
Connecting any other phone to the Bovee? That will eliminate the phone as the problem, if it works.
Disconnecting the bovee from the cable and plug the phone in directly with an adapter? Doing this will eliminate the Bovee and cables as the problem.
Using just an iPod with the Bovee instead of the phone? This should eliminate an Apple software issue, maybe.
Try starting a song before entering the car. The song should pause while you start the car and the Bovee is connecting, then resume through your car audio.
Lastly for grins, do not pair the phone with the Jaguar, just pair it with the Bovee. This also might tell you if the phone's firmware or software are confused.

Let us know the result of each of these.

Last edited by Sean W; 08-20-2018 at 01:47 PM.
gisherton (08-22-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Delete your phone from the audio interface then reboot the audio module and you will be good to go.

gisherton (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is all way to complicated for me....

I can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and right now it is the soulful tune of that gorgeous V8 burbling under the bonnet....

Music is overrated, whilst this V8 makes the right noises....

Sorry I couldn't help, I am way out of my depth with the problems you are encountering....

The following 2 users liked this post by Peet01:
gisherton (08-22-2018), guy (11-07-2020)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply guys and thank you for the suggestions.

MUFC (are you a Red )
I have tried that already but will give it a go again just in case I messed it up first time.

Sean,
I have tried most of what you mention but not all.
I have tried different cables (I have two) and I have also tried connecting directly to the car with a Apple adapter but with just the same results.
I have tried using my wife's Samsung phone and get the same results also.
My I-pod is an old classic so not sure if that has BT or not but will try and get one from someone else to try if not and give that a go.
I will also try your last two suggestions as I have not tried that before.

PEET,

Couldn't agree with you more but for those times when the traffic is too slow to enjoy the music from the engine then normal music and books offer a poor substitute

Thank you for the time and suggestions all and ill get back over the weekend and let you know how it goes with the ones I have yet to try.

Cheers

Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

MUFC (are you a Red )
I have tried that already but will give it a go again just in case I messed it up first time.

Yes, with a red XKR-S of course !

Quick Reply: Does anyone else's car have this unusual problem?