Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Doors locked with key inside!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Doors locked with key inside!

This is NOT supposed to happen. I know previously when I left the key inside and tried to lock the door, it would beep at me and protest. Today, I was working on the car, driver door open, installing the wheel spacers and the key was left inside on the passenger seat. I pushed to door closed after about 15 minutes but, DID NOT attempt to lock it.

Once I was done with my work, I left the car out for about 30 minutes and when I returned the doors, trunk were all locked, yes, key inside. It was my lucky day that it happened at home where I have a spare key, which was needed to open the door. The car should be smart enough not to lock if it senses the key inside.

The same thing happened to me once with one of my other cars, and never happened again. That time I needed to call AAA to get me back into my car.

Any idea why it would lock one day and not others? Afterwards I tried to do the same thing, left the key inside, came back in 30 minutes and the doors were NOT locked. Now I try locking it by pressing on the exterior door handle knob with the key inside it still refuses and beeps. So much for repeatability...

Albert

Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
This is NOT supposed to happen. ... The car should be smart enough not to lock if it senses the key inside. ... Any idea why it would lock one day and not others? ...
Albert,

One possibility: If the battery in your Smart Key is weak it might not be recognized if left on the passenger seat, which would allow the car to lock. A weak battery can cause intermittent Smart Key operation. It's cheap and easy to replace.

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-issue-63544/

Just my

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Albert,

One possibility: If the battery in your Smart Key is weak it might not be recognized if left on the passenger seat, which would allow the car to lock. A weak battery can cause intermittent Smart Key operation. It's cheap and easy to replace.

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-issue-63544/

Just my

Stuart
Thanks Stuart, that makes sense. I'll replace the batteries in both units tomorrow.

It still begs the question how did it lock in the first place? I simply pushed the door closed by its sheet metal and did nothing to actually lock it.

Albert

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

In the '10's, there's an option in the car setup to have the car auto-lock itself after 10 minutes or so, if I remember right. Is that on?

axr6 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
In the '10's, there's an option in the car setup to have the car auto-lock itself after 10 minutes or so, if I remember right. Is that on?
Good question. I have to check into that.

I never lock my cars in my garage and almost always the car remains un-locked for any period of time. Now that you mentioned this, I remember at least once when I came out expecting to open the door and they were locked. I'm sure I did not lock it by purpose.

Looks to me that there is some electronic gremlins crawling around....

Albert

Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

If the autolock option is on and your keyfob batteries are tired the car won't see the keys inside and will lock itself.

axr6 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Batteries changed today. Hopefully end of problem.

Thanks guys,

Albert

Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key locked itself in XK

I did not lock the door. I ran back for a minute quickly to the house and left the key on the console. I came back and the door is locked. That is not supposed to happen. Yes, it usually beeps and won't lock. What do I do? AAA or do I need to get Jaguar in the morning?? Ugh. How much is this going to cost?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

AAA should be able to unlock your doors. I think it is a fluke, sometimes the car just likes to lock your keys in it!

What I have always had a habit of doing in any car with automatic locks is to roll down the driver's side window if I was going to leave the keys in the car.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

^ Yup AAA pops it open in no time

I had/have the same issue that finally forced me to hide an E-Key on the car so I could always get in... Had to use it already once!

See this thread as well

Vince

Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Just a word of advice about leaving keys in your car, even parked inside your own garage.

Last month my garage was broken into. The thief loaded up my 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with lots of items from the garage. The sherriffs dept and myself felt that if the thief would have been able to find a set of keys in the car, we would have opened the double garage door and drove the car out.

Thus, I make sure that when the car is parked IN THE GARAGE....all car doors are LOCKED, and there is no extra set of keys left in the car.

Just something to think about. The thief filled up the back seat, front seat and trunk with high dollar racing equipment, helmets, Alpine Star gloves. He even took off his old shoes, left them behind, and left with a new pair of Alpine Stars racing shoes.

In addition, he took the car cover off the 2013 Sonata, filled it up with items from the garage and carried everything out as if he was Santa Claus.

This is no joke, but a real experience.

Be aware, be careful....LOCK YOUR CAR, even if in your garage.

Muddydog (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

For 5.0 cars (not sure about 4.2):

EMERGENCY KEY BLADE

To extract: Press and hold the release button [triangular, on upper left side of Smart Key] while pulling the key blade from the Jaguar Smart Key body.
To insert: Press and hold the release button button while pushing the key blade into the appropriate slot in the Jaguar Smart Key.
The key blade operates the left-hand door lock, the luggage compartment lock and glove compartment lock.

Locking and unlocking the doors

Remove the left-hand door lock cover as follows:
1. Insert the emergency key blade into the slot on the underside of the cover.
2. Gently lever the key blade upwards.
3. Carefully twist the key blade, to lever the cover off the retaining clips.
Insert the key blade into the exposed lock to operate.
Note: To refit the door lock cover, push it firmly back into place until it clicks into position.

To lock: Ensure all the doors are closed, then turn the key blade towards the front of the vehicle and release. This will lock the doors, but will not arm the alarm.
To unlock: Turn the key blade towards the rear of the vehicle and release. If the security system is disarmed, the doors and luggage compartment will be unlocked. If the security system is armed, only the front left-hand door will unlock. The interior lighting will be turned on at a reduced level for two minutes.

If the vehicle is unlocked using the key blade with the security system armed, the alarm will sound when a door is opened. To deactivate the alarm, press the unlock button on the Jaguar Smart Key or press the engine starter button with the Smart Key inside the vehicle.
If the Jaguar Smart Key is inoperable, the alarm can be deactivated by docking the Smart Key into the starter control unit.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Pretty sure the emergency key only opens the car, doesn't turn it on. At least for the '10+ models, which have no key, but instead have a key-fob slot and an on-off button.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Pretty sure the emergency key only opens the car, doesn't turn it on. At least for the '10+ models, which have no key, but instead have a key-fob slot and an on-off button.
Correct - and, of course, you can't open the car with the emergency key if the fob (with the key inside it) is locked in the car ;-)

Basically, that procedure is mostly for a dead fob or a dead car (you can use the key to lock the car if it has no power). Once you've opened the car with the mechanical key, you can 'dock' the fob - it then takes its power from the car, wakes up, and you can press Start.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha Ha, Yes, the key is inside the car, thus the blade is inside the car. I always lock the car when I leave it, I just ran back to the door for a second. The fob battery may be low, I doubt they are both low and they are both inside, but... ya never know. Best not to ever ever ever shut the door with the key inside. Calling AAA although Jaguar service 'voice of doom' acted like it was going to be extremely difficult for them to open. Cross fingers.
UPDATE: AAA guy slipped the tool through side of window (convertible) and since key was on seat in plain view he was able to flip it over and push the unlock key! haha

Last edited by CClifton; 12-23-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by CClifton
Ha Ha, Yes, the key is inside the car, thus the blade is inside the car. I always lock the car when I leave it, I just ran back to the door for a second. The fob battery may be low, I doubt they are both low and they are both inside, but... ya never know. Best not to ever ever ever shut the door with the key inside. Calling AAA although Jaguar service 'voice of doom' acted like it was going to be extremely difficult for them to open. Cross fingers.
Actually I have two key fobs and both needed replacement batterys. The battery is a low priced CR2032 battery and are so easy replace. No more calling AAA needed.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Correct - and, of course, you can't open the car with the emergency key if the fob (with the key inside it) is locked in the car ;-) Basically, that procedure is mostly for a dead fob or a dead car (you can use the key to lock the car if it has no power). Once you've opened the car with the mechanical key, you can 'dock' the fob - it then takes its power from the car, wakes up, and you can press Start.
Right, but clever has an extra emergency key. I don't know about the older cars, specifically, but stashing the emergency key on or near the car no longer carries the risk of someone starting it and driving off with it.

Lately my automatic locks and start/stop button have not been recognizing my key fob either. I thought maybe it was a sign my car battery was getting weaker, but from this thread I'm thinking I need to replace the battery in the key fob first.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Right, but clever has an extra emergency key. I don't know about the older cars, specifically, but stashing the emergency key on or near the car no longer carries the risk of someone starting it and driving off with it.
This too is correct....
That third E-Key has already paid for itself!

Vince