Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driving with top down

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Considering you can put the rear windows down and up while the top is up we know White XKR knows how to make the windows go up with the top down. That being the case maybe this is a simple modification that can be done without installing the total top kit.
Sure it can be done, but the big difference between the X100 where it is a fairly popular mod. and the X150 is that the relays to control the windows on the X100 are exposed and the control for them is easily accessed. On the X150 the, relays are embedded on a printed circuit board and not exposed, so it is a more challenging mod.

Also unless the rear windows are lowered before the top is closed, the seals and/or quarter window can be damaged. When the rear windows were raised manually with the top down, this lowering takes place automatically when the top is closed with our module.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

As I think I mentioned before but will mention again I think the one touch open/close modification is a great asset to convert owners. It should have been a standard feature from the factory. The part that concerns me is the remote feature because I assume you turn on the electronics of the system to activate the top which in turn starts a power draw on the battery. For those who have a min. battery charge this could render the car DOA. My procedure for opening the top is to start the car and while in open loop idle I open the top. By the time the engine goes into closed loop at reduced idle the top is down and stowed and I drive away. If the one button press was locked out until the ignition was on and the car started I would think this exposure would be eliminated. Other then that it's a great feature.
The top system draws less than 1/3 of 1% of the battery charge for each top operation. If this is enough to cause battery problems, then you already have serious battery problems.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-01-2019 at 10:18 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Cee Jay (05-01-2019), kj07xk (05-01-2019), ralphwg (05-01-2019), Stuart S (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The module draws less than 1/3 of 1% of the battery charge for each top operation. If this is enough to cause battery problems, then you already have serious battery problems.
Thanks , not knowing how the circuit is made I appreciate the info. Do I assume that the rest of the electronics don't wake up when the top is energized and is there any electrical load on the hyd. pump system. I just replaced my 5 year old battery that was at 80% max charge rate. I didn't start seeing any gremlins yet but with the new battery other then things being brighter there wasn't much change. As I said the modification is great and should have been a mfg. standard.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks , not knowing how the circuit is made I appreciate the info. Do I assume that the rest of the electronics don't wake up when the top is energized and is there any electrical load on the hyd. pump system. I just replaced my 5 year old battery that was at 80% max charge rate. I didn't start seeing any gremlins yet but with the new battery other then things being brighter there wasn't much change. As I said the modification is great and should have been a mfg. standard.
I clarified my statement and to say the top system, (not the module) draws less that 1/3 of 1% for each top operation. Most of this is the pump. The module itself has a trivial power draw and goes to sleep when the rest of the vehicle does. Anytime you press a key fob button the electronics wake up, but they will return to sleep in a couple of minutes or so if the car is left alone..

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-01-2019 at 10:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jagtoes (05-01-2019), kj07xk (05-01-2019), ralphwg (05-01-2019), Stuart S (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=WhiteXKR;2063611 The remote, besides the added convenience, it is just plain cool to watch, especially on the X150.[/QUOTE]

Having just fitted one to my X150 I'm happy with it, & can confirm it's cool. Just love walking up & the roof going down as you get in.

And if worried about your mechanic activating & damaging it on the ceiling, then there's that bypass switch to disable the system before you leave it with him.