XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Drooping sun visor 07 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drooping sun visor 07 xkr

I saw a brief thread about this. Not much info from that thread. Dealer will not cover under cpo warranty. New one is 400$ usd. Anyone try to fix this? If so, how?

Thx, tom

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

fixed mine. sun visor had come apart inside of the cover at the top. took off mirror, sprayed some foam glue up into the top. Put clamp on to hold tightly together overnight. now works fine.

The following users liked this post:
DGorvetzian (01-19-2013)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks rtmyers1.

I'm stuck at step 1. How is the single support swivel post that mounts the visor to the roof removed? Is it just a push fit into the roof retainer cup, or are there screws under the post trim plate?

Thanks, Tom

Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM

I left connected in the car. Just gently remove the mirror and you can then see up in side of the visor. Some glue and a couple of c clamps that will fit around the end of the visor to hold it together should do the job if it is the same problem I had.

DGorvetzian (01-19-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

->RTMEYERS1

Thanks very much for your post. My new (to me) 2007 XK has the exact same problem, so I pulled the visors (yes, there is one torx screw that holds the visor in place; gently pry the cover off and you'll get access to the screw) and popped the mirrors out.

It appears that the pole that goes in the visor fits in to a sleeve with a cam, and the body of the visor is made up of clamshell plastic that clamps around the cam. In my case, and I'm guessing in yours, the clamshell's tabs that hold the two halves together have broken, allow the clamshell to come apart a bit, thus allowing the cam to rotate somewhat before it locks and the pole then swivels within the sleeve.

As I look in to the visor with the mirror removed, it appears I have two options:

1) spread Gorilla Glue along the edge of the clamshell and hope that it holds the clamshell together; or

2) pry the clamshell open a bit, inject Gorilla Glue inside the clamshell and let it lock the sides of the clamshell together, along with the cam that's attached to the sleeve.

I think option #2 is the better option, but I'm not sure how long the sleeve is (I can't see inside), and I'm a little afraid of the Gorilla Glue actually gluing the pole to the sleeve such that it won't rotate any more.

Can you provide more specifics on how you used the Gorilla Glue to fix yours, whether or not you injected the glue inside the clamshell, and whether your fix is now still working 5 months later? (The last question also begs the question of whether or not you use the visors regularly, or if you were just concerned about holding them up tight against the headliner.)

Thanks,
Doug

LoudHogRider (01-13-2016)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Interesting issue... I hope it does not become a "known and common" problem with our '07's.

I see that the part numbers changed for 2008 and on (and price dropped by $60), so i have to wonder....

BOL on your fix
-Vince

Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM

Yeah, this is my 7th Jag, and the first 5 were all between 13 and 33 years old when I sold them. This car is just 5 years old, and I'm really surprised at the number of small plastic bits that are already broken on this car. Both visor clamshells; glove box latch mechanism; connection pin for glove box damper. It does indeed make me a bit concerned about my ability to keep this car past its 10th or 15th birthday. Aside from the expense of keeping everything working properly, I'm not very confident that Jag will continue to make and stock the little bits that break over time.

I recall trying to get a replacement plastic retaining bezel for the convertible top switch for my 7 year old XJS, and Jag simply stopped making them. Period. Out of luck.

I hate Mercedes, but one thing I must give them credit for is that there's almost nothing you can't buy for a Mercedes -- ANY Mercedes. The part might cost an arm and a leg, but if you want a brake light lens for a 1956 MBZ, you can most certainly get one. It's not even a question.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I noticed that both of the sun visors on my XKR click when you lower them. Is this a sign of failure?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Alan,

Not sure; mine were busted when I bought the car, so I'm not sure what the pre-failure scenario was. My guess, however, is that you're just hearing some stickiness between the post and the sleeve in which the post spins. Once the clamshell breaks (and thus allows the cam to rotate a few degrees within the clamshell), I think you'll see it because the visors won't snap hard against the headliner. They'll droop by the same amount that the cam is rotating within the visor.

I guess it's possible that the clamshell could be partially separating, allowing the cam to rotate just a tiny bit -- not enough that you would notice the visor drooping. As the clamshell separates further, it will provide more rotation room for the internal cam, and then (I'm guessing here) the visor will droop lower and lower.

/Doug

amcdonal86 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok so you guys have the newer model, but surely this helps some?
Please see below....

Visor Mirror Repair (Video) FAQ - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Attached Thumbnails Drooping sun visor 07 xkr-car01.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM

Jim,

Thanks; that's an excellent video on how to repair floppy mirror covers. The problem in this thread isn't with the mirror covers; in our case, the entire visor is drooping, not staying snugged up against the headliner.

/Doug

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM

I'm sorry. Just saw this. My wife uses all the time and it is still holding very strong. A little gorilla glue goes a long way. It does expand as it drys so you need to hold the visor together firmly. I rotated the mount carefully a few times while drying and was careful with the glue and it did not effect the rotation……. Thanks, Rick

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks, Rick. Does that mean that you injected the glue inside the clamshell, rather than just spread it along the edge of the plastic?

/Doug

Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM

Yes, I used a screwdriver to move the glue along the seam by going through the mirror opening and with c-clamps holding the shell together.

DGorvetzian (02-05-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by DGorvetzian
Alan,

Not sure; mine were busted when I bought the car, so I'm not sure what the pre-failure scenario was. My guess, however, is that you're just hearing some stickiness between the post and the sleeve in which the post spins. Once the clamshell breaks (and thus allows the cam to rotate a few degrees within the clamshell), I think you'll see it because the visors won't snap hard against the headliner. They'll droop by the same amount that the cam is rotating within the visor.

I guess it's possible that the clamshell could be partially separating, allowing the cam to rotate just a tiny bit -- not enough that you would notice the visor drooping. As the clamshell separates further, it will provide more rotation room for the internal cam, and then (I'm guessing here) the visor will droop lower and lower.

/Doug
Actually, I noticed that the clicking happens when I am stowing them back into place. But currently, there is very little play in them and they still fit flush with the headliner.