XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is dumb to put a ground effects package on a Xk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Is dumb to put a ground effects package on a Xk?

Thinking of putting the xkrs ground effects package and front/ rear spoiler on my 2007 XK non supercharged Jag....is that goofy or cool?
Feedback appreciated!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe you should keep in mind that the car will retain the most value when it's in original state. You might get less money back for the car as the public that's interested in a car like that will be restricted. So the return of your investment will be zero or less than zero.
The XK is a fast car, but you might look goofy if you can't be faster against another car with your XKRS lookalike.
I can't look into your wallet, but I expect the OEM XKRS rear spoiler to be mega expensive.

On the other hand, it's about what YOU like. if you like it and want to pay for it, that's motivation enough to do it. Not everything has to be related on what is economic and the practical thing to do.

The following users liked this post:
hawaii (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

That's a good question to ask. I would suggest that some who start visually modding their cars often seem to have a hard time stopping. What starts as an effort to make a common car look more unique, or a dated design look more current, somehow gets out of hand. I can see that urge with a Civic, but an XK not so much.

If modding is more your hobby, then mod it as you like and enjoy your craft, and the end result. Some lose interest in the car when the project is complete and move on to another. What will likely appeal to others will be a stock XK, and you'll have made your car difficult to sell. Modding is an expensive hobby...but lots of hobbies are. And who knows...in a few years the rarest XK may be a stock one!

Bruce

hawaii (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

It sounds like you are asking for an opinion. Yes, I think it is dumb.

Like Bruce H. said, the XK is already distinct and needs no embellishment. That, and adding a ground effects kit would go against the refined sleek image that the design of the car achieves.

And yes, modding an XK does make it hard to resell. I've seen several on eBay that have apparently been modded and have been on there for months, even at a significant price discount over stock XKs.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it depends on the car and the package itself. I had a C5 Vette with the Specter Werks rear fascia(whole new bumper) with euro taillights and ACI front spoiler and when I put my car for sale at my friend's driveway, I receive a handful of offers within the first week and sold it on the 2nd week to an older guy who was retired and owned 2 older 70's Vettes. I had a '04 MB E500 that was stock and had it for sale at my same friend's driveway and only got 1 call in 3 weeks with a low ball offer. Eventually trade it in at an Audi Dealer.

If you want to do some exterior ground effects for your XK I would suggest the Jaguar Exterior Styling Pack which is made by Jaguar specifically for the 07-09 XKs. According to Jaguar, the Exterior Styling Pack consists of front valance, rear valance, upper and lower mesh grills and rear bumper with exhaust tailpipe finishers. The pieces come primed and ready for paint and therefore I don't think it's a package that comes with the car in the showroom but a package that you need to purchase after you buy your XK. According to Ian Callum,".....The enhancements we have made for the XK Exterior Styling Pack give the car an even more stylish and purposeful look by deliberately lowering the visual stance of the car and creating exciting new elements that work with the elegant profile of XK." I think if you go subtle and made by Jaguar you'll be fine during resale (but you'll probably won't get more for it) and not an aftermarket kit that is riced out.

The following 2 users liked this post by GhostriderXKR08:
GordoCatCar (06-26-2017), hawaii (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

I dont think it will look bad. Id say go for it

id say no if it was an aftermarket kit....but since its OEM, i dont see why not.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
Thinking of putting the xkrs ground effects package and front/ rear spoiler on my 2007 XK non supercharged Jag....is that goofy or cool?
Feedback appreciated!
I am putting the Mina parts on...the rear diffuser, the front splitter, the side skirts, and the larger whale tail spoiler. I was gonna do the OEM Jaguar parts but I saved quite a bit with the Mina parts.

I love the way the parts make the XK/R look. They do add a little extra "stance" to the car. I think the XK would be fine with this kind of look. I don't personally like some of the other aftermarket body kits.

Now, if you put any "R" badges on your XK that would not be good....

Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Oh dear, I'm dumb. I thought ground effects package meant fluorescent underglow lighting!

Sure, go with the ground effects package (splitters, lower valance, etc.).

Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally i think it is dumb to as ask goofy questions and cool to do what you like(w/in reason)! I also think some of the response to the original question are dumb!

How in any way possible will adding the XKR's spoiler, valence, splitter and side sills going to lower the value of the XK or make it look bad. The XK and XKR visually 95% identical to start with. It's not as if he suggested adorning the XK with R badges!

If he had checked a few more options boxes when he purchased the XK everything would look fine and he would be able to maintain the value of his XK for resale?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Here is my take on the "mod Issue". I have bought a number of Jags over the decades. Every Jag I ever considered buying that had any mods whatsoever were struck from my list. The problem for me has to do with the "mind set" of the previous owner. Any indication that he was a wannabe racer was a caution sign. I would not even buy a car with an aftermarket. air cleaner.

Now for the contradiction. I installed a faux quad exhaust on my XK. I just could not help myself. The look was irresistible. I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 12-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I think it is goofy. A guy has one here and it goes down the road looking like an 1800s old lady dragging her skirts.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

If you want to do it then do it,But do it with taste, The problem is I dont think there are any co doing a xkrs kit as yet ?. My only advice is do not compromise the car in anyway that cannot be reversed infact keep all original parts to do so if you find a problem later when you decide to sell you can always put it back to original and sell the parts later,meantime you will have enjoyed your car the way YOU wanted. I myself have removed my rear seat to make more luggage space and built a tonnaeu cover will post when finished under Post, My car is now a two seater, But can be put back to original in less than an hour .If you find a co that makes the s kit then let us know, I would to consider doing the same.send an email to wingking.com I think they are considering making the spoiler for the xkrs
Bernie 2008 XKR Vert

Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 08 not 13

I believe, since Mina was mentioned, he is referring to the 2008 only available in Europe XKR-S.

Jaguar XKR-S | Auto Express

Yes an XKR-S did exist prior to the current model available in the US.
Yes it was with the 4.2 ltr. engine.
Yes it's top speed was only 12 mph less than the 2013 model.
Yes it also had a 10mm suspension drop compared to the XKR.
Yes it's body kit was smooth, subtle and imho kept more true to the sleek Jaguar style.

Simply gorgeous.. that's why I got one from Chris at Mina.

sherbercars (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
I believe, since Mina was mentioned, he is referring to the 2008 only available in Europe XKR-S.

Yes it's body kit was smooth, subtle and imho kept more true to the sleek Jaguar style.

I didn't know that...and it looks good!

Mike V (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V

Thanks for that info makes good reading we learn something every day from this fine forum. I assumed he was thinking of the 2013 S I do like the spoiler and front spliter on this model .I will check out the mina that you have .do you have pics of your car?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Thanks for that info makes good reading we learn something every day from this fine forum. I assumed he was thinking of the 2013 S I do like the spoiler and front spliter on this model .I will check out the mina that you have .do you have pics of your car?
Beware on the front splitter there are different sizes for 07-09 then the 10+ models since the front bumper change in the 2010+ models but Chris at Mina has both. Just specify your model year.

You can see mine with the front splitter, rear diffuser and extended side sills in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ack-day-84808/

Also see threads with pics of Ghostrider's XKR, he has the same kit and helped me out when I ordered mine.

sherbercars (12-23-2012)
Old 06-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have a rear diffuser, front diffuser and exhaust splitters for sale...

Guys, I bought my 2007 XKR on Saturday. It came with a uninstalled, unpainted front and rear diffuser kit, plus splitter exhaust tips. Same as picture attached. There was a 3/4" crack on the rear fiberglass that looks repairable. I've decided to leave my car "au natural." Cost $1800. Will let it all go for $600 plus shipping

Attached Thumbnails Is dumb to put a ground effects package on a Xk?-00c0c_lxgcqfy1fw7_600x450.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatJag
Guys, I bought my 2007 XKR on Saturday. It came with a uninstalled, unpainted front and rear diffuser kit, plus splitter exhaust tips. Same as picture attached. There was a 3/4" crack on the rear fiberglass that looks repairable. I've decided to leave my car "au natural." Cost $1800. Will let it all go for $600 plus shipping
Tomcat are you able take a photo of the actual items for us

Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

95% of the time it's goofy all the way. Unless they are factory parts or copies of factory parts I would not go near it. Nothing *******izes a car like a body kit. Maybe some lights under the car or a few stickers can be included?

Old 06-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a request to send pics. Will do so tonight.

Quick Reply: Is dumb to put a ground effects package on a Xk?