XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

ECU Tune and Pulley Upgrade Satisfaction for 5L SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by russduka
Cant wait to see results I was also going to go ahead with either eurocharged or the rsc tune. I have actually already also have a pair of milltek 200 cell cats that have been waiting for my car to be delivered. But do to the weather and some issues on the car factory I haven't had the chance to pull the trigger and get the tune pulley and high flow cats done.
How much were the 200 cell high flow cats from milltek? I looked at paramount and vienzu. I think they were around $1,100/side. With the highflow cats, performance exhaust, which you have, and the tune you should achieve over 620hp. Together with the other performance features on your car you will have one fast cat.

Last edited by DGL; 02-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Anybody adding a wideband gauge when they do the pulley & tune?

Rich

Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

The Eurocharged tune uses the stock AFR's and is quite rich. Don't know about the others...

Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
How much were the 200 cell high flow cats from milltek? I looked at paramount and vienzu. I think they were around $1,100/side. With the highflow cats, performance exhaust, which you have, and the tune you should achieve over 620hp. Together with the other performance features on your car you will have one fast cat.

The Cats cost $1000 per side. I purchased them through eurotoys. Viezu and paramount also sell the same milltek cats. I believe only paramount rebrands them with there name. And regarding the final numbers im looking to get closer to 640hp hopefully.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by russduka
The Cats cost $1000 per side. I purchased them through eurotoys. Viezu and paramount also sell the same milltek cats. I believe only paramount rebrands them with there name. And regarding the final numbers im looking to get closer to 640hp hopefully.
You should be able to do that, I am around ~630hp without the sport cats.

Your car is awesome by the way. Congrats.

The following users liked this post:
russduka (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Highflow cats are next once I can get the tune nailed down. Either the Milteks or RSC is going to release some soon as well.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

My train of thought is to have all of the hardware mods such as the high flow cats and pulley installed before the tune. But I guess it doesn't matter because we're all getting off-the-shelf tunes.

Anyone know what the RSC hi flow cats will cost and when they will be available?

Last edited by DGL; 02-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'll find out about the RSC Hi Flow cats as I'm about to call Hershel now.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

So Jerry informed me the that loaner tool didn't come back so no new tune today. I am however going to record boost pressures and timing while driving, then apply the tune again and do the same. This should give me some information.

could not get a hold of Hershel about the cats last night ill try him again this morning

DGL (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Maxima... I am stupid... Can you give us a idea of what your car came stock and exactly what your adding to it again...I'm sorry. Milltek high flow cats and corresponding tune... Did u change the exhaust too? Pulley with tune to come as well?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member

Currently for the engine it has a 3LBS Pulley, RSC Cat back exhaust, RSC tune. So theoretically it should be in the ~620HP range but once the ECU "learns" it seems to be either retarding timing or blowing off the extra boost. I'm going to apply the tune this morning on the way to the office and log the data to see what kind of boost pressures I'm getting. After work I'm going Kart racing so it will have enough time to learn and we will see where the boost is then

And no your not stupid it impossible to remember what everyone has on their cars here

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

So I retuned it and connected dash command and set it to record. I was one of the first people to pass a minor single minor car accident on the highway so I had a clear road ahead of me.

I hit a max boost of 15.5psi in 4th and 615HP on the gauge which if course isn't all that accurate but a approximation.

So I'm either immune to 600HP or this thing is WAY off.

DGL (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM

How did it feel? Still running out of steam at high RPM?

On my way to work this morning I also had a wide open stretch of road and I hit it in 4th gear, specifically for paying attention to the higher RPM feel. My car seems to build speed to a virtual apex right at redline. Things start becoming a blur, it's a major rush. I sense no high RPM bog...just the strong feeling of building speed. This car is seriously fast.

DGL (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

With the RSC retune it was a beast all the way to 6549 RPM noted by the Dash Commander. Easily hit triple digit speeds in seconds. Now let's see if learns and cuts off the boost at higher RPM.. I didn't have the high RPM cut off as before and spun the tires at 60MPH.. Thats what I expect.

I contacted Hershael at RSC last night via text to see if he could check with the tuner to make sure the boost limiter is removed.

Now I need the cats, RSC was going to use the cats from my car to send to England and have the high flow versions made, so I need to follow up with him as I'll be without a car for 2 weeks. Which is fine as I have a few other mods that need to get done at the same time as well.

If a few guys want cats I'll see what he will do on a group deal.

DGL (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
With the RSC retune it was a beast all the way to 6549 RPM noted by the Dash Commander. Easily hit triple digit speeds in seconds. Now let's see if learns and cuts off the boost at higher RPM.. I didn't have the high RPM cut off as before and spun the tires at 60MPH.. Thats what I expect.

I contacted Hershael at RSC last night via text to see if he could check with the tuner to make sure the boost limiter is removed.

Now I need the cats, RSC was going to use the cats from my car to send to England and have the high flow versions made, so I need to follow up with him as I'll be without a car for 2 weeks. Which is fine as I have a few other mods that need to get done at the same time as well.

If a few guys want cats I'll see what he will do on a group deal.

Let us know if your car self adjusts my reducing power as time goes on.

A thought on the CATS: I know the stock CATS are expensive and the hi flow CATS are no pocket change. Have you considered drilling out the stock CATS to break out the cells completely and turn them into down pipes? Will this lead to other problems or is it possible?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

I've thought about it but the electronics on these cars are so sensitive I'm worried about causing problems. I'm also saving all my stock parts in case I need to revert it back for some reason.

DGL (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON AROUND HERE!!!" - said in the voice of Vince Lombardi. How come I am lost all the time!! Someone explain to me high flow catalytic converters vs non-high flow...is there more pollution with this? I take it that it "free's up" the engine to ship out more exhaust allowing more inflow of air via the supercharger, a thinner mixture, a larger piston explosion.... MORE HORSEPOWER... Is that correct? Is that why you need a "tune" if you get the high flow cats? So that the computer/engine knows to push more air in because it can exit faster??? What exactly is a tune anyway... dag nabbit... its finally out there... Im Cole Trickle... I just know how to drive...kind of... - thats it!!

PS- i did hook up a battery tender recently and felt like a man... I accomplished something on my car!!!!

Loth

Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I've thought about it but the electronics on these cars are so sensitive I'm worried about causing problems. I'm also saving all my stock parts in case I need to revert it back for some reason.
Smart thing to do!

Do you have smog tests to worry about?

I did weld up a high flow cat for my RX-7 years ago but, never tried to pass CA smog with it. I just use the factory cats for smog test. Not remembering the price of the 300 cell cartridge but, it was definitely peanuts compared to the $1000+ figures shown here. I only used it a few times before replacing it with just a straight through resonator.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

High flow cats just like high exhausts equal less back pressure which makes it easier for the combustion chamber to expel spent exhaust, and take in fresh air/fuel. The cat back systems are usually good for ~20HP and the cats another ~20HP. The free flowing cats still offer enough back pressure and heat to not freak out the LAMDA(o2) sensor but still meet emissions requirements.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (02-21-2014), Lothar52 (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Smart thing to do!

Do you have smog tests to worry about?

I did weld up a high flow cat for my RX-7 years ago but, never tried to pass CA smog with it. I just use the factory cats for smog test. Not remembering the price of the 300 cell cartridge but, it was definitely peanuts compared to the $1000+ figures shown here. I only used it a few times before replacing it with just a straight through resonator.
They don't check smog here in FL, but I'm ok with the 20HP with the 200 cell cats. Besides they are welded in and don't want to change them on a regular basis. Plus the last car that I removed the cats from I ended up smelling like gas everytime I drove the car. Which is fine for a race car but not a daily driver. I' also looking at a 20% increase in exhaust note which is fine on this car but anything louder may get annoying for a daily driver.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (02-21-2014), Lothar52 (02-21-2014)

Quick Reply: ECU Tune and Pulley Upgrade Satisfaction for 5L SC