XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Electronic Parking Brakes- Educate me please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Electronic Parking Brake- Educate me please

Please do not tell me to Google it. I would rather hear from the members here. My 2007 xk is my first car with an EPB. I have used it occasionally and it does a good job as far as I am concerned. Correct me here if I am wrong:

• Pulling the switch up locks it
  • Pushing it down unlocks it
  • If it is in 'lock mode' , moving the shifter from Park to another gear will also unlock it
The main components are the switch, the EPB module and the EPB motor? Is this correct? If yes, where is the module and the motor located? What do they actually do? Does it lock the rear brakes when it is engaged?
Does the EPB ever need to be serviced? If yes, what needs to be done?

My buddy has a 2008 S-Type and upon inspection his EPB switch looks just like the XK EPB switch and he is getting the error 'Parking Brake Fault , Can't apply parking brake".

Is there a reset procedure he can try? Also what do people do if they get the opposite problem where it will not disengage? How do you get past that?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There's little difference between a manual PB and an EPB. Instead of the driver's arm lifting a park brake lever to pull a set of cables attached to the brake calipers, the EPB motor does the same thing in response to a signal from the module.

The calipers apply the rear brake pads firmly enough to bring the car to a swift stop and securely hold it in place.

How and when the EPB is applied/released is more complex than you have laid out and the need to manually override or interfere is rare.

Get your buddy to post in the S-type section and we'll try to help.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Let's clarify a bit. When you park the XK you must set the parking brake by pulling the lever up ( and you should use the parking brake regularly to keep it in proper operating condition and to prevent damage to the transmission park pawl ( as when icar moves while in P).
But the brake releases automatically when you step on the brake pedal and move the shifter to R or D.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

JEPC has the clearest diagram of the Parking Brake components:

Electronic Parking Brakes- Educate me please-parkbrake.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The Module is behind the rear seats.

Graham

Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Speaking of education..

Another thread mentioned that it was OK to give it full throttle from launch with the parking brake on. I've always given it a little tap to release, then pulled away.
Should I have a case of 'traffic light grand-prix', does the EPB really release that quickly, or is there a risk of damage?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

That was me! In my non-Jag cars I find it a nuisance to keep my foot on the brake at a light now. In the Jag I use the E-Brake (as the dealer showed me) at lights of longer duration and whether I lightly tap or floor it the release seems to be lightning quick. I discovered that punching the throttle from an E-Brake stop is like a launch control. It releases and gets up and goes.

In the 2012 the E-Brake can be set via a manual process, but it does automatically engage when you put the car in Park.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Also, the free download workshop manual gives lots of info and the electrical guide.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by RobB
Should I have a case of 'traffic light grand-prix', does the EPB really release that quickly, or is there a risk of damage?
Depends whether you hit the car in front of you or not.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

I never use the parking brake although i never park on hills, but on the flat i put it in P and that does the job.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Just tried it today, way cool!
Sitting at the traffic light, ebrake on, light goes green, punch it!

Old 08-27-2016, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I had to use my "emergency or handbrake" once in my driving career. Way back somewhere in the 70's when I had my 66 XKE I was driving in town when "bang" my front rotor broke t the top hat. In order to stop I had to use the handbrake. Made the 10 mile drive back home shifting and hand-braking all the way. Fun drive but a little scary at times. I don't think you can use the E-brake in these cars to do that.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
. I don't think you can use the E-brake in these cars to do that.
Why not?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Why not?
With the old handbrake you could modulate the brake pressure . I think the E-brake is either on or off. While driving the E I would downshift to slow down and use the E-brake to slow to stop just like stepping on the brake peddle.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 PM

You can do the same with the EPB at least on an S-type. There should be a mention in the owners manual advising that the paddle must be lifted several times to incrementally apply the EPB- if the car is in motion.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

You can do the same with the EPB at least on an S-type. There should be a mention in the owners manual advising that the paddle must be lifted several times to incrementally apply the EPB- if the car is in motion.
XK shop manual says:

Dynamic Apply
There are two 'Dynamic Apply' modes; low speed dynamic and high speed dynamic. The low speed dynamic mode operates at speeds between 2 mph (3 km/h) and 20 mph (32 km/h). The high speed dynamic mode operates at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h)
If the parking brake switch is pulled up to the 'Apply' position and vehicle speed is within the low speed dynamic range, the control module drives the actuator to apply full parking brake force to the rear wheels.
If the parking brake switch is pulled up to the 'Apply' position and vehicle speed is within the high speed dynamic range, the control module will apply braking force to the rear wheels at a slower rate until full braking load is reached or the switch is released. The rate with which braking force is applied is controlled by the control module, which monitors both current drawn by the actuator and positional information from the actuator hall sensor and compares this to information held within its configuration software

Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Just tried it today, way cool!
Sitting at the traffic light, ebrake on, light goes green, punch it!
Exactly, it really allows for a pretty solid launch

XK shop manual says:

Dynamic Apply
There are two 'Dynamic Apply' modes; low speed dynamic and high speed dynamic. The low speed dynamic mode operates at speeds between 2 mph (3 km/h) and 20 mph (32 km/h). The high speed dynamic mode operates at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h)
If the parking brake switch is pulled up to the 'Apply' position and vehicle speed is within the low speed dynamic range, the control module drives the actuator to apply full parking brake force to the rear wheels.
If the parking brake switch is pulled up to the 'Apply' position and vehicle speed is within the high speed dynamic range, the control module will apply braking force to the rear wheels at a slower rate until full braking load is reached or the switch is released. The rate with which braking force is applied is controlled by the control module, which monitors both current drawn by the actuator and positional information from the actuator hall sensor and compares this to information held within its configuration software
Excellent info, thanks!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 PM

XK shop manual says:

Dynamic Apply
Sounds identical to the S-type. I suggest you try it out (on a quiet road).

Old 08-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds identical to the S-type. I suggest you try it out (on a quiet road).
We may be reading this differently but based on what I interpret when you put the brake on it is on FULL which means no modulation. With the old levered handbrake you could change the braking by holding in the button and pulling more or less. At 2mph to 20 mph it goes on FULL and above 20 it applies pressure until it hits 20 and then on FULL. You have no control over the break pressure. That's the way I read it.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 AM

Give it try and see for sure.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Essentially at speed it applies more and more i.e. starts out not very hard braking.

It's tested here at our annual inspection (MoT) though not at high speed (impractical to do).

It's an emergency (as well as parking) brake so has to do something sane(ish) at all speeds.