XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AVMIII
I've only had my 2010 XKR a week, and it's the first car that I've had and haven't had the oppourtunity to "floor" it on the first or second drive. the other day I was driving on a back rode doing 40 mph, and just goosed it a little and in no time I was into triple digits. No new story here to longer time owners I'm sure. I -can understand wanting to mod your vehicle either to get a little more power that you might somehow take advantage of, or for "bragging" rights. However I read several reviews that the car should be faster from launch, but isn't due to Jaguar's conservative choice of rear wheels/tires. Apparantly the choice was biased towards comfort and less road noise, as opposed to wider, more performance oriented tires. My point here, and it's likely been debated in previous threads, is if you want to go faster, wouldn't you first attend to wheel/tire issues?
I see what you are saying and it makes perfect sense, especially if you are looking for more speed from a stop or from very low speeds. You will get massive wheel spin in most of those situations if you have the traction control off.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way around that even with better and slightly wider (street) tires, as I believe there is always going to be a lot of wheel spin in a car with this much torque. The trick is to feather the throttle until you have traction, and then hold on because you are going to shoot off like a rocket.

The XKR really does well from a roll, say 40 to 140...it flies. That is where I spend most of my time. I don't race people and I don't launch the car, so the traction issue isn't as so bad at these speeds.

The other reason to go for the tune first is simply price and convenience. Its pretty cheap and takes almost no time at all. So I am going to check it out today and I will report back. Soon I will upgrade my tires to the Pilot Super Sports, 305 on the rear. Dont know if it will help much but its worth a shot.

Wish me luck!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

More power = more fun... Looking forward to the results...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

You're all wrong. If you REALLY want performance increases you need one of these bad boys:

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
Big Otter (01-04-2016), Matt in Houston (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston

The XKR really does well from a roll, say 40 to 140...it flies. That is where I spend most of my time. I don't race people and I don't launch the car, so the traction issue isn't as so bad at these speeds.

The other reason to go for the tune first is simply price and convenience. Its pretty cheap and takes almost no time at all. So I am going to check it out today and I will report back. Soon I will upgrade my tires to the Pilot Super Sports, 305 on the rear. Dont know if it will help much but its worth a shot.

Wish me luck!
It looks like this is going to be really exciting for maybe 5 or 6 of us, and a complete mystery to everyone else

You shouldn't see a degrading of traction at low speed unless you're pretty careless with your right foot, and no more-so than if you had bought a more powerful car. ETG claims that the TCU limits are lifted or raised in the R-S tune, which is plausible as its peak torque is significantly higher than what the XKR TCU allows before bleeding off boost to limit peak torque. Since you are raising boost, and that would increase peak torque, it will be interesting to see if your peak torque does increase, or gets limited by the ECU.

But even if peak torque is limited to near stock levels, torque at higher rpms (well beyond peak tq rpm) should not be limited, and that in turn is where you would see your peak horsepower increase. And that will improve maximum acceleration as the tranny shifts at redline, and only uses the higher rpm range beyond where peak torque might be affected.

The baseline dyno you posted is not at all credible or usable, and I think they've got it mixed up with something else, but it's definitely not representative of the 5L S/C, nor is the gain you might expect comparing it to the tuned dyno posted.

I'm going to guess that you'll see about a 40 hp gain on the dyno if they are able to do a 100% comparable before and after run...and that's a big if. You'll need to drive the car some distance for it to learn and adjust to the new tune, which probably means dynoing post-tune on another day, under different conditions. I would suggest they are highly motivated to show the most dramatic power increase possible, a view supported by the dynos they're promoting, and I can think of several ways they can do that between your dyno runs. Make sure they monitor AFR on all runs, and display the results as either "uncorrected" or "standard correction". SAE correction that their posted dynos show are intended to only be used for normally aspirated engines run at altitude where the effects of altitude lower the measured results. The SAE correction inflates those values so that they are comparable with results measured at closer to sea level. A forced induction engine already compensates for changes in altitude (air density), and applying SAE correction to those measurements only over-inflates the results.

I think most of that gain will come from the increase in boost at higher rpm as the stock R-S tune likely already has a slightly leaner air/fuel ratio, and a slightly more aggressive ignition map than the XKR, and they won't have as much room for gains as they would when tuning the regular XKR.

You're likely to feel a subtle increase in torque from higher boost, but not so much in the seat of your pants at higher rpms...although timed acceleration would definitely show the improvement.

Should be an exceptional value for the power gain, as the cost to you is more in line with what it would more typically cost for a 10 hp gain on many cars.

Good luck, and thanks for being the guinea pig on this one!

Bruce

Old 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.

The baseline dyno you posted is not at all credible or usable, and I think they've got it mixed up with something else, but it's definitely not representative of the 5L S/C, nor is the gain you might expect comparing it to the tuned dyno posted.

Should be an exceptional value for the power gain, as the cost to you is more in line with what it would more typically cost for a 10 hp gain on many cars.

Good luck, and thanks for being the guinea pig on this one!

Bruce
Thanks for the detailed information in your post. Perhaps I should also refer them to this thread so they can see what the people are looking for when it comes to the dyno charts.

I have no idea about the credibility of the dynos from UsmaXKR2010's thread, as none of us were there but him. I can only hope the company is being ethical about promotion of its services and not trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. I understand claims can vary but it will be great to show some numbers. So far, my communication with Eurocharged has been great and I look forward to our meeting in a few hours.

Being the guinea pig is also one of the reasons I wanted to do this. I think this forum has been a great base of knowledge for me. I will consider this one of my contributions and a way to give back. I know people have been asking to see dyno charts on the 5L s/c and I hope we can bring some good ones to the table.

Thanks again for the comments! I am getting excited to see what happens.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 PM

Still up here at Eurocharged. They are almost done changing out the pulley. My base run was 481 and 478.8 rwhp.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
You're all wrong. If you REALLY want performance increases you need one of these bad boys:

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts
I've been looking all over for one of those.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 PM

My results after pulley/tune at Eurocharged. I believe the two final runs were done in sport mode but without dynamic mode on. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I might go back in December and do a few more dynos to see how it looks.

539.6 rwhp
535.9 rwhp

A gain of 58.6 rwhp!

The tq between 2500 to 4000 shows a nice gain of around 65 rwtq. My drive home was about 45 miles and the car pulls harder, there is no doubt about it. It is very noticeable. I am eating right now but when I'm done I will post up a pic of my dyno runs from their printer. They are going to email me the runs and a video as well.

Very impressed with Eurocharged. They all stayed late to help make this happen and the guys working on the car to swap pulleys were awesome.

More of my review and charts soon.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Outstanding!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Sweet!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

My results after pulley/tune at Eurocharged. I believe the two final runs were done in sport mode but without dynamic mode on. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I might go back in December and do a few more dynos to see how it looks.

539.6 rwhp
535.9 rwhp

A gain of 58.6 rwhp!

The tq between 2500 to 4000 shows a nice gain of around 65 rwtq. My drive home was about 45 miles and the car pulls harder, there is no doubt about it. It is very noticeable. I am eating right now but when I'm done I will post up a pic of my dyno runs from their printer. They are going to email me the runs and a video as well.

Very impressed with Eurocharged. They all stayed late to help make this happen and the guys working on the car to swap pulleys were awesome.

Great results Matt.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 PM

I arrived at Eurocharged right at 4:45 PM and was greeted by the staff. Everyone seemed very polite and professional. One of the guys went to my car with a laptop to (I think) read the original file, and then he pulled the car around back to setup our first dyno run.

Here you can see Jerry strapping down the car.

Here are two of my baseline dynos. Not bad! Best one was 481 rwhp. The runs were carefully done in 4th gear. If you floor it too soon, it will downshift to third. I think we actually did three pulls. One was discarded because of a downshift.

Removing and replacing the new pulley took the most time, by far. There isn't much room at all to access it. The old pulley was carefully cut off and the new pulley was heated up and put on. This took about 2 hours, plus the motor needed to be cooled down a bit before they could even start. The tune was installed while the pulley was being removed. I hung out in the office and chatted it up with Jerry and his staff. From what I gathered, they all love to fish and play with cars all day. Maybe one day I will take an offshore fishing trip with Jerry on his boat.

I was very happy to see the results, a gain of 58.6 rwhp! My initial prediction was 50-65 rwhp...So I pretty much hit that right in the middle. I went from a peak output of 481 rwhp to 539.6 rwhp, with nice gains all across the RPM band. The torque numbers between 2500-4000 look especially nice. That is usable real estate right there.

I will have more data available to post when they send me the charts via email. We also looked at AFRs and everything looks great.

The Eurocharged Houston location has a Dyno Dynamics dyno, and it seems quite calibrated. I have read these are some of the most accurate dynos.

If my baseline was 481 rwhp and we account 15% for drivetrain losses:

481 x 1.15 = 553.15 hp, and the XKR-S is rated at 550 hp, so this is very close. The only other mod I had on my baseline run is BMC airfilters in the airboxes.

If that is true, and my final number was 539.6 rwhp, then lets add in drivetrain losses (539.6 x 1.15) = an estimated 620.54 HP, which is an estimated gain of 67.39 hp. I say these numbers are an estimation because I don't know for sure if 15% is the exact number for drivetrain loss on this car, but it should be close.

In closing, I hope this information is helpful for someone who might be considering a pulley and a tune. After I drive it a for a week or so I will comment further on driveability, but so far it seemed perfect on my trip home.

I must say, I'm extremely satisfied at this point and I can only recommend the guys at Eurocharged. I think they did a great job. Thank you all for reading this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-792432_10151968167099941_1592103676_o.jpg   Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1278856_10151968167114941_1252609111_o.jpg   Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1400216_10151968167109941_378367968_o.jpg   Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1417698_10151968167409941_800826336_o.jpg   Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1398888_10151968167399941_1007690465_o.jpg  

Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1384339_10151968167104941_112775341_n.jpg  
The following 9 users liked this post by Matt in Houston:
Bruce H. (11-02-2013), Bruce M. (11-02-2013), ccfulton (11-02-2013), dcmackintosh (11-21-2017), jleuz1 (11-02-2013), MaximA (11-02-2013), patrickw813 (11-02-2013), ralphwg (11-02-2013), V6 JDT (11-03-2013) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Received 102 Likes on 49 Posts

I must say, I'm extremely satisfied at this point and I can only recommend the guys at Eurocharged. I think they did a great job. Thank you all for reading this thread.
I think it is safe to say that your experience with Eurocharged along with the data to back up the numbers will generate a lot more business for that company.

Once my exhaust is finished being built I will place an order for the tune and pulley from Eurocharged no questions asked.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out the community with your experience! I cannot wait to experience my future gains.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

539.6 rwhp
535.9 rwhp

A gain of 58.6 rwhp!

Those are significant gains. Nice work. I look forward to hearing your impressions as you drive it more

Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Thank you for documenting and sharing your results thats a great gain! Very nice!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I sense a group buy coming. Who's in...

The gain on the standard XKR should be around 100hp. Woohoo. A 100hp gain would be substantial. Comments.

Last edited by DGL; 11-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Looks great, Matt! You must be thrilled with the whole experience.

Did they mention for you to do anything different now, like make sure not to use anything lower than 91 octane, or use 93-94 under certain conditions? How did they monitor air/fuel ratios, and will those be plotted on the emailed copies? Can you note what they adjusted, like AFR and ignition maps, TCU torque limiters, rev and speed limiters, etc. Thanks

Bruce

Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.

Looks great, Matt! You must be thrilled with the whole experience.

Did they mention for you to do anything different now, like make sure not to use anything lower than 91 octane, or use 93-94 under certain conditions? How did they monitor air/fuel ratios, and will those be plotted on the emailed copies? Can you note what they adjusted, like AFR and ignition maps, TCU torque limiters, rev and speed limiters, etc. Thanks

Bruce
Thanks Bruce!

They didn't mention anything about changing fuel. Here in Texas we have 93 octane and that is all I have ever used. I think they might have a 91 octane tune as well for those states that don't have 93 on every corner like we do here.

They used an exhaust sniffer on the dyno. I saw the AFRs and they looked very safe. When they email me the dynos I should have it to post.

As for the tune, it is pre-written and is supposed to have speed limiters removed but I cannot verify this myself. I don't think they raised the RPM limit. TCU, not sure if it was raised or not, but it doesn't appear to be limiting the torque from the looks of the dynos. I did see Gun4Hir's baseline dyno after the pulley and it did have the TCU limiting his run, but after they installed his tune the limiting was gone. To me this proves they have successfully raised it.

Maybe one of the Eurocharged staff can answer some if these questions better. Jerry did show me the way the tuning software works when creating the tune and it is very interesting.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks Bruce!

They didn't mention anything about changing fuel. Here in Texas we have 93 octane and that is all I have ever used. I think they might have a 91 octane tune as well for those states that don't have 93 on every corner like we do here.

They used an exhaust sniffer on the dyno. I saw the AFRs and they looked very safe. When they email me the dynos I should have it to post.

As for the tune, it is pre-written and is supposed to have speed limiters removed but I cannot verify this myself. I don't think they raised the RPM limit. TCU, not sure if it was raised or not, but it doesn't appear to be limiting the torque from the looks of the dynos. I did see Gun4Hir's baseline dyno after the pulley and it did have the TCU limiting his run, but after they installed his tune the limiting was gone. To me this proves they have successfully raised it.

Maybe one of the Eurocharged staff can answer some if these questions better. Jerry did show me the way the tuning software works when creating the tune and it is very interesting.
It is certainly not ideal but the ECU will compensate for 91 octane by advancing or retarding the timing when needed. They may claim another tune but in reality it's just marketing.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

If my baseline was 481 rwhp and we account 15% for drivetrain losses:

481 x 1.15 = 553.15 hp, and the XKR-S is rated at 550 hp, so this is very close. The only other mod I had on my baseline run is BMC airfilters in the airboxes.

If that is true, and my final number was 539.6 rwhp, then lets add in drivetrain losses (539.6 x 1.15) = an estimated 620.54 HP, which is an estimated gain of 67.39 hp. I say these numbers are an estimation because I don't know for sure if 15% is the exact number for drivetrain loss on this car, but it should be close.
That is a very impressive gain!

15% is a decent rule of thumb for an automatic, but to be completely correct the math should be RWHP / 0.85. In other words:

481 / 0.85 = 565
539.6 / 0.85 = 634

So either the drive line is very very efficient or Jaguar under rated the XKR-S a wee bit. Either way you cut it, that is a phenomenal amount of power.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.