XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts
Thumbs up Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.

After much research and thought, I have decided to install a pulley and tune by Eurocharged into my 2012 XKR-S Convertible. The pulley installation and tune will be on location at Eurocharged Performance Houston and overseen by Jerry Thornton, the President of Eurocharged Performance. According to our plans, appointment is Friday, November 1st at 4:45 PM.

We will be doing before and after dyno runs. I will post my findings on the forum for everyone to see. If the recent Eurocharged tuning thread is any indicator of the gains I have to look forward to, I will indeed be quite happy.

Also, considering the Eurocharged tune costs roughly half the price of the ETG tune, I am interested to see if there is any reason to spend more money for essentially similar results. The Eurocharged tune is estimated to bring an additional 85 hp and 90 tq to the motor, which already produces 550 hp and 502 tq from the factory. I look forward to testing these claims.

XKR-S : Jaguar XKR-S Stage 1 Power Package

I understand there will also be a Jaguar XFR getting tuned on that day, prior to my appointment. Maybe he will chime in with his results as well.

I will keep you posted as we progress!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Certainly interested on the before and after dyno - hope you love it.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
After much research and thought, I have decided to install a pulley and tune by Eurocharged into my 2012 XKR-S Convertible. The pulley installation and tune will be on location at Eurocharged Performance Houston and overseen by Jerry Thornton, the President of Eurocharged Performance. According to our plans, appointment is Friday, November 1st at 4:45 PM.

We will be doing before and after dyno runs. I will post my findings on the forum for everyone to see. If the recent Eurocharged tuning thread is any indicator of the gains I have to look forward to, I will indeed be quite happy.

Also, considering the Eurocharged tune costs roughly half the price of the ETG tune, I am interested to see if there is any reason to spend more money for essentially similar results. The Eurocharged tune is estimated to bring an additional 85 hp and 90 tq to the motor, which already produces 550 hp and 502 tq from the factory. I look forward to testing these claims.

I understand there will also be a Jaguar XFR getting tuned on that day, prior to my appointment. Maybe he will chime in with his results as well.

Interesting that they get so much out of the XKR-S with the same engine since they only get 35 out of the XKR. Why is this?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your results, but the numbers seem a bit optimistic to me- we shall soon see! Better get tire Rack on your speed dial!

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Interesting that they get so much out of the XKR-S with the same engine since they only get 35 out of the XKR. Why is this?
I think you just clicked on the wrong link. That is for the XKR tune only. The XKR Stage 1 Power Package shows the larger gains. It includes the pulley and the tune.

XKR : Jaguar XKR 5.0 Stage 1 Power Package

Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Octurbo
Looking forward to seeing your results, but the numbers seem a bit optimistic to me- we shall soon see! Better get tire Rack on your speed dial!
Yup, I think the Pilot Super Sports in 305 for the rears is in my near future.

In the thread below, UsmaXKR2010 picked up between 80 to 100 rwhp (depending on he day he dynoed) which is pretty amazing. I asked Jerry if the XKRS would show less gains since it already comes tuned higher from the factory, and he said he expects it to show similar gains...so we shall see!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-98134/page2/

Honestly, I am going in with realistic expectations and hoping for the best!

Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I will be shocked if you get anywhere near 85 hp or 90 tq. I will be surprised if you get more than 30hp. I hope I am wrong. If you look at the link it is 2006- that means they are getting these improvements on the 4.2 as well as the 5.0. I am curious how they are going to be able to neatly remove your upper pulley on your car & reinstall it on a hot engine. You are having a before & after dyno run so the engine will take a few hours to cool down. Are they planning in doing all the work at the same time?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
I will be shocked if you get anywhere near 85 hp or 90 tq. I will be surprised if you get more than 30hp. I hope I am wrong. If you look at the link it is 2006- that means they are getting these improvements on the 4.2 as well as the 5.0. I am curious how they are going to be able to neatly remove your upper pulley on your car & reinstall it on a hot engine. You are having a before & after dyno run so the engine will take a few hours to cool down. Are they planning in doing all the work at the same time?
You bring up some good points. I think Jerry told me that he has three guys willing to stay late on Friday for us to do the pulley/tune install. So maybe we will do the before dynos...grab some food and eat, then switch pulleys/install the tune and re-dyno.

I am going to predict....50 to 65 rwhp. I think with the added boost from the pulley and the addition of the tune, it should be within reach.

Again, UsmaXKR2010 posted before and after dynos, picking up a huge gain...So that is encouraging to say the least. Either way its not a huge amount of money to find out, but I hear ya.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

R-rated: Following your link the dyno run is listed in print as 453 max HP, but the graph looks more like max 400 to me, which compared to their stock measurement of 372 max HP is pretty far off from their claimed gains.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a suggestion for you. We found in testing the pulley makes very little difference. Have your dyno run done & then reflash the car to see the change. Then have the pulley installed, the lack of boost is not the problem with the tune in these cars. The issue is throttle opening & boost being bled off.

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (10-31-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by AVMIII
R-rated: Following your link the dyno run is listed in print as 453 max HP, but the graph looks more like max 400 to me, which compared to their stock measurement of 372 max HP is pretty far off from their claimed gains.
It was discussed there is something really off with the graph. Even the MPH at the bottom of the graph is wrong if they were indeed in 3rd gear. Here is the .PDF of the final runs and the graph matches the numbers. I don't know why they choose to use that weird graph on their website. I will bring it to their attention.

Take a look at it. Thoughts?

Before

After

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1384261_10151964394874941_1448113257_n.jpg   Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-1450814_10151964394879941_403210917_n.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 10-31-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

I think you just clicked on the wrong link. That is for the XKR tune only. The XKR Stage 1 Power Package shows the larger gains. It includes the pulley and the tune.

XKR : Jaguar XKR 5.0 Stage 1 Power Package

Since it's the same engine with tuning being the only difference; with the same pulley - should the standard XKR not show a far greater gain than the XKR-S which starts off with a 40hp advantage?

An XKR and XKR-S with a pulley/tune should both net the same power so the increase should be greater on the non S model.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM

30rwhp is still very respectable for a tune gain btw... I just don't understand their math. There is a place in FL that also addresses the transition - are these guys doing the same? If you want some real numbers then add some E85 too (but on'y after the scientific research is completed)

Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Since it's the same engine with tuning being the only difference; with the same pulley - should the standard XKR not show a far greater gain than the XKR-S which starts off with a 40hp advantage?

An XKR and XKR-S with a pulley/tune should both net the same power so the increase should be greater on the non S model.
There are some slight differences with the exhaust on the XKR-S as well, but I asked them the same exact question and he said the gains should be similar.

Ultimately, in my opinion I think the tuned XKR-S will make a bit more power than the tuned XKR. However, I am thinking along the same lines as you, which is why I predict around a 50-65 rwhp gain, roughly 40 hp less of a gain than Usma2010XKR saw.

I guess we will find out tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted! Either way, even 30 to 50 rwhp is a good deal for $1000, IMO. I have no idea what will happen though.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 10-31-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 PM

There are some slight differences with the exhaust on the XKR-S as well, but I asked them the same exact question and he said the gains should be similar.

Ultimately, in my opinion I think the tuned XKR-S will make a bit more power than the tuned XKR. However, I am thinking along the same lines as you, which is why I predict around a 50-65 rwhp gain, roughly 40 hp less of a gain than Usma2010XKR saw.

I guess we will find out tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted! Either way, even 30 to 50 rwhp is a good deal for $1000, IMO. I have no idea what will happen though.
make no mistake.... 1K for 30 rwhp is a great value. For 40K you get 40bhp on the XKRS vs XKR haha.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM

make no mistake.... 1K for 30 rwhp is a great value. For 40K you get 40bhp on the XKRS vs XKR haha.
Not if you bought one used like me!

Even still, there are other reasons to buy an XKR-S...Personally, I really love the fact that I haven't seen a single one on the road, ever. There were only 25 convertibles brought to the U.S. in 2012.

One of my favorite cars for sure. Love it.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Matt:

A few questions.

What are you looking to gain by having the pulley completed?

Why are you doing it?

Are you displeased with the current HP and performance of the car?

Are you planning to put the car on a road racing track on a consistent basis?

Does the cost of the work, outweigh the performance that you are seeking?

I would think that more HP would not have any major benefit over what yo have now, unless you're planning to race the car competitively. I would assume that driving the car on regular USA highways and roads that you have plenty of power already without the added cost to achieve slightly more HP.

I would be interested to find out your thoughts for what you're doing and spending to obtain the results you seek.

I see many Jaguar owners modify cars, when the cars out of the factory are set up and beautiful as the way they come of the line. Unless there is a very special reason to enhance performance or style thru modifications.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Matt:

A few questions.

Why are you doing it?

I would think that more HP would not have any major benefit over what yo have now, unless you're planning to race the car competitively. I would assume that driving the car on regular USA highways and roads that you have plenty of power already without the added cost to achieve slightly more HP.

I would be interested to find out your thoughts for what you're doing and spending to obtain the results you seek.

I see many Jaguar owners modify cars, when the cars out of the factory are set up and beautiful as the way they come of the line. Unless there is a very special reason to enhance performance or style thru modifications.
I know you are a huge advocate of keeping things stock and I can certainly appreciate that. I do like to keep the outside of my vehicle looking stock (except for my Lotus), but I am one of those types who sometimes can't leave well enough alone.

Every vehicle I've had I've modded to some degree, and some more than others. I think each one benefited in its own way, as the factory cars in general are usually compromised or conservative in some way and can be improved upon. For example, the stock P-Zero tires on the XKR-S can be changed and traction improved...but I would keep the stock wheels all day. So for me its just the fun of extracting that little bit more.

It's all about fun and I just want to do it for the hobby, no really good reason other than that. My car will still appear completely stock, and I intend to keep it that way. I did the same thing with my 06' Carrera S (tune/headers/cats) and it was great. In fact the Softronic tune was the best thing I ever did to that car. It still looked completely stock from the outside but ran like something else. I hope this Eurocharged tune delivers similar characteristics.

Thanks for all the feedback, and Stay TUNED!

Attached Thumbnails Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.-12935_211133269940_358489_n.jpg  

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 10-31-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Everyone likes pics!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Matt:

A few questions.

Why are you doing it?

Even the GT does not have additional power! Racing competitively - that power won't help; at leat nowhere near as much as suspension and brakes... Its for grins alone - this is even the case when looking at an XKR over an XK if we're honest.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've only had my 2010 XKR a week, and it's the first car that I've had and haven't had the oppourtunity to "floor" it on the first or second drive. the other day I was driving on a back rode doing 40 mph, and just goosed it a little and in no time I was into triple digits. No new story here to longer time owners I'm sure. I -can understand wanting to mod your vehicle either to get a little more power that you might somehow take advantage of, or for "bragging" rights. However I read several reviews that the car should be faster from launch, but isn't due to Jaguar's conservative choice of rear wheels/tires. Apparantly the choice was biased towards comfort and less road noise, as opposed to wider, more performance oriented tires. My point here, and it's likely been debated in previous threads, is if you want to go faster, wouldn't you first attend to wheel/tire issues?

Quick Reply: Eurocharged XKR-S with dyno charts.