XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 01:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exhaust

Hello and happy new year, I am considering removing the muffler and left that the intermediary had you vehicles, because the original noise is too shy

Old 01-01-2021, 02:23 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

I have electric cut out valves on mine and love them!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valves-217000/

Old 01-01-2021, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8
I have electric cut out valves on mine and love them!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...valves-217000/
Did you have a difference in the behavior of your engine loss of torque for example? And driving without a rear silencer is not too hard on the ears where it is

Old 01-01-2021, 02:50 AM

Not sure, maybe but it sounds a lot faster!

The following 2 users liked this post by peterv8:
MarkyUK (01-01-2021), V7Sport (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8
Not sure, maybe but it sounds a lot faster!
That is to say more noise OK but the car has changed less torque or nothing has changed?

Old 01-01-2021, 11:31 AM

It's hard to say/feel but I don't care if I loose a few pony's, I love the sound!:-D
I couldn't stand driving around with strait thru pipes, way to loud for everyday use.:-)

Old 01-01-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

i've been driving around with no muffler on and it is great, but i'll be taking it to a shop soon to have a custom build done.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,185 Likes on 3,106 Posts

A guy near me has an older Saab with straight pipes. Evidently he thinks it sounds great but it isn't. About the worst sounding ghetto piece of crap I've ever heard. He's an older guy (40s), moved into his parents' basement about nine months ago. I've considered using Expando-foam insulation inside his tailpipe some dark night.
It's horrendous, that gawdawful noise it makes.

The following users liked this post:
guy (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jons
i've been driving around with no muffler on and it is great, but i'll be taking it to a shop soon to have a custom build done.
Did you see a difference in behavior? And why are you going to customize the exhaust too much noise?

Old 01-01-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
A guy near me has an older Saab with straight pipes. Evidently he thinks it sounds great but it isn't. About the worst sounding ghetto piece of crap I've ever heard. He's an older guy (40s), moved into his parents' basement about nine months ago. I've considered using Expando-foam insulation inside his tailpipe some dark night.
It's horrendous, that gawdawful noise it makes.
Everybody who listened to mine like it, when I go from closed to open they all get a big grin!

Old 01-01-2021, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I didn't think Volvo fitted a V8 until midway through the noughties? A straight through on anything less than a V8 does sound a little tinny at town speeds.

I've no backbox/muffler and my XKR sounds rather nice, although at dyno it was down 17 horses, a remap will take that mod, my K&N's and smaller SS pulley into account, my Indy advises that I should easily see 560bhp, and close to 600 if I went for 200 cell cats.

The remap is £400, the cats are around £2k

Remap being done in the Spring

Old 01-01-2021, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Don't experiment with the Jaguar exhaust. Buy an engineered solution if you want to sound more. It easy to make it too low back pressure and car drives like a wounded dog. You'll just want to put it down... Quicksilver exhaust or the like is the way to go!

Old 01-02-2021, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts
Old 01-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Xk646
Did you see a difference in behavior? And why are you going to customize the exhaust too much noise?
the car? no, a difference in sound only. me? yes, different behavior.

a base XK is just so well made of a cabin, i found i can't really enjoy its V8 fully because most of the time the passive valves aren't open. without the muffler you get to hear it all, pretty much anywhere in the rpm/load range. i don't hammer it through 1st and 2nd to hear it roar every time a traffic light turns green. it now also loudly drones like any other V8 near 1500rpm to one degree or another depending on engine load and such. for the most part i just drive "around" that. 95% of my time i'm just going around town, no highway, and i already get under 12mpg doing that, so i really lose nothing by just downshifting to stay close to the posted speed limits but above 1500rpm.

so to answer your second question, for one, i'd like a little signature uniqueness on the car. something interesting, done by hand. two, i anticipate an eventual end of this work-from-home lifestyle many of us are in, and i'll be back in regular traffic and on the highway, listening to a drone whether i like it or not, probably. less pressing but still important is the additional concern that i'm now dumping hot exhaust directly around the diff case, and the car simply wasn't engineered that way. even if it's nothing to worry about, it isn't good either.

i know i could cut my muffler up, open those valves permanently, but i think i'd rather just sell that secondhand, or keep it boxed up in case the car has to go back to stock at some future point.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Don't experiment with the Jaguar exhaust. Buy an engineered solution if you want to sound more. It easy to make it too low back pressure and car drives like a wounded dog. You'll just want to put it down... Quicksilver exhaust or the like is the way to go!
haven't noticed any change at all, and have not yet read a technical article that indicates scavenging power is lost by removing or changing the tail end of the exhaust system.

Cee Jay (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 10:31 AM

the car? no, a difference in sound only. me? yes, different behavior.

a base XK is just so well made of a cabin, i found i can't really enjoy its V8 fully because most of the time the passive valves aren't open. without the muffler you get to hear it all, pretty much anywhere in the rpm/load range. i don't hammer it through 1st and 2nd to hear it roar every time a traffic light turns green. it now also loudly drones like any other V8 near 1500rpm to one degree or another depending on engine load and such. for the most part i just drive "around" that. 95% of my time i'm just going around town, no highway, and i already get under 12mpg doing that, so i really lose nothing by just downshifting to stay close to the posted speed limits but above 1500rpm.

so to answer your second question, for one, i'd like a little signature uniqueness on the car. something interesting, done by hand. two, i anticipate an eventual end of this work-from-home lifestyle many of us are in, and i'll be back in regular traffic and on the highway, listening to a drone whether i like it or not, probably. less pressing but still important is the additional concern that i'm now dumping hot exhaust directly around the diff case, and the car simply wasn't engineered that way. even if it's nothing to worry about, it isn't good either.

i know i could cut my muffler up, open those valves permanently, but i think i'd rather just sell that secondhand, or keep it boxed up in case the car has to go back to stock at some future point.
you say to stay below 1500 turn why it becomes too noisy at 2000 or 2500?

Old 01-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You say rolled like a wounded dog why because there are more valves and more back pressures that have been studied for? And for what reason ?

Old 01-02-2021, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,185 Likes on 3,106 Posts

STOP SAYING CAR EXHAUSTS NEED BACK PRESSURE
Yep, I agree. Completely.

HOWEVER......
Any specific TUNE may require back pressure. ie; Tuned to match the more-restrictive airflow.

If you get a better flowing exhaust system, you also need the TUNE to utilize that better flow.

MarkyUK (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Xk646
you say to stay below 1500 turn why it becomes too noisy at 2000 or 2500?
no not below specifically -- just away from. that's around where any V8 drones. they're roughly all the same in that respect.

although i couldn't tell you what exact gear i was in, i have heard drone from my XK at 1200 and at 1800 with the muffler off. i've made a point to glance down and check, just to be sure, before i finish researching this exhaust build. currently i believe there are some aftermarket cobra engine mufflers that should suffice but if there isn't space to put them in then i might, for example, go with straight-through glasspacks and helmholtz resonators. in which case i'd need to be sure to help my muffler guy out so we get the chamber volume correct.

anyway i'm typically in 4th instead of 5th, or 3rd instead of 4th, whenever i want to dispel the drone. it's not an exact science because engine load varies with a lot of things, including the incline of the road. i think any of those OBDII phone apps can give you a display of the value if you care to see it. i'm assuming our engines measure it and make it available.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...oad-determined

Old 01-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yep, I agree. Completely.

HOWEVER......
Any specific TUNE may require back pressure. ie; Tuned to match the more-restrictive airflow.

If you get a better flowing exhaust system, you also need the TUNE to utilize that better flow.
oof. his caps not mine. but yeah that makes sense. at any rate i'm okay sacrificing power for a kickass soundtrack, in this case.

peterv8 (01-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Exhaust