XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Exhaust X pipe and XK mod help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Exhaust X pipe and XK mod help

I've seen most of the threads about the exhaust mod's and fuse 19.

I've just been lucky enough to get a centre section from a XK with the one resonator box so contemplating what to do now!

I'm not sure if to just fit that first to see what the difference is or just go for the the full X pipe?

I do want a louder 'Aston' type sound but i definately don't want any drone on motorway driving. Currently got fuse 19 out.
(my Subaru was an awful drone!)

Couple of questions:
1. Wouldn't the swap affect back pressure and would it need a re-map?
2. How easy is it to get the standard centre section off without damaging it?
3. Any drone?
4. Where is the best place to get the small X pipe in the UK? is it a weld in job or bolt in?

Cheers for your thoughts!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The x pipe is not going make it louder (it did not do so when I added to my XK). I have been told by VAP that there's an inherent sound deadening effect from an X pipe. I would look towards a complete setup from Spires, VAP, or Quicksilver.

The following users liked this post:
elindo (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Spires X-pipe and the original exhaust from my 2007 XK. It does add some HP but the sound isn't affected by it. I think the noise has changed due to the removal of the resonator. I think I will in the future go with either Spires muffler or the Paramount muffler for a different exhaust growl.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The x pipe is not going make it louder (it did not do so when I added to my XK). I have been told by VAP that there's an inherent sound deadening effect from an X pipe. I would look towards a complete setup from Spires, VAP, or Quicksilver.
I don't want to go for a full system, mainly due to cost. I wonder if it's different if you put an x pipe on an XK as it doesn't have the active 4 pipes perhaps? Hope not wasted my money getting the XK centre!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swisstone
I don't want to go for a full system, mainly due to cost. I wonder if it's different if you put an x pipe on an XK as it doesn't have the active 4 pipes perhaps? Hope not wasted my money getting the XK centre!
X pipe on my XK was a total waste of money. If you don't want the full exhaust system, 200 cell cats are the way to go. I know this all costs, but this is an expensive car to start with...

guy (02-23-2020)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

An "x" pipe supposedly adds some "crackle" to the exhaust tone, but two other forum members post above there is no worthwhile change.
Removal of a resonator in exchange for an "x" pipe is not a big difficult project, particularly if the system is dismounted.
An "x" pipe will have no material effect positive or negative on "drone". Drone is addressed by your active exhaust muffler.
The addition of a simple "X" pipe is well within the flexible margins of the car's computer-controlled fuel mixture. You will not need a "tune", but do a "hard reset" to have the motor "relearn" they exhaust system.
"X" pipes from USA suppliers like Dynomax and Magnaflow are comparatively cheap.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Thanks guys, well I must have mis understood what the advantage of an x pipe is! Not sounding like it's what I'm after.

Will putting the xk centre pipe in the xkr system (so going from two resonators to one) make no difference at all?

I'm not really after more 'crackle' just a bit louder and preferably deeper.

The various videos on YouTube seem to be different? Anyone got a good representation of x pipe on the xkr with fuse 19 pulled?

Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM

This is 'FLYC2C' s great video as just found his thread. Hope he doesn't mind! Thanks to him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAe...ature=youtu.be

Uses the XK mid pipe in the XKR with and without fuse 19.
Sounds good to me! Could do with a standard car comparison now.

Drive by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQf...ature=youtu.be

I assume this isn't with the x pipe so not sure how it would then sound?

Last edited by Swisstone; 09-12-2017 at 03:52 PM.
ralphwg (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I wouldn't do an X pipe for sound improvement. A correctly built X pipe will allow exhaust pulses to travel down both sides of the pipe which dilutes the exhaust pulse and that's what makes the exhaust quieter. Because it doubles the pulses per bank it will change the resonance dynamic in the exhaust and you may pick up drone. The factory box is so quiet you probably won't notice it. On mine with the X pipe and factory back box I heard a strange resonance dynamic right at idle with the car in park. It was a very deep rumbling drone, almost like an earthquake. My assumption is the factory box isn't designed for a 4 exhaust pulses per revolution in each pipe and the drone was a side effect of that.

TLDR:
I've read several occurrences since I joined of X pipes making the exhaust quieter and giving minimal tone changes on an otherwise stock exhaust. If you want a stronger exhaust note with a minimal tone difference, change to a pair of lower cell count cats.

Last edited by Ranchero50; 09-13-2017 at 03:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
guy (02-23-2020), ralphwg (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

My experience was that the removal of the resonator made the car have a more hollow sound, rather than a throb. So if you are after an Aston sound, I wouldnt do it.

I got a Paramount back end for my 2008 4.2 XF, it was probably the best exhaust note I've heard, almost identical to an Aston V8 - hugely loud, snarly, and throbby, with no drone. Best mod I've done to a car.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the inputs guys. Money is the limitation st the moment and different cell cats and paramount back ends doesn't sound cheap so may be one to think about in the future.

so what do you think about the videos and change the centre pipe for the single resonator one from the XK? Is that an improvement and a little louder as it seems to say by the video? That thread seems to rate it.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Cats were pretty inexpensive comparatively. Just bought some extra pipe and o2 bungs to fit with them. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to perform the work.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 AM

I'll look into the cats then if it makes a difference. I've got the XK centre atready so can record before and after on that as a first attempt!

Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I've got 100cell cats + x pipe into quad rear box and it's loud !

I would suggest going 400cell cats or doing what hendo did and gut the second portion of the cat .

Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

I would back off on the resonator and wait until you can do the cats and exhaust at same time. As expensive as it may be, you'll end up paying twice once you are not satisfied. The resonator delete will end up making the drone more pronounced.

Having been there in your situation and now owning an Aston, I can imagine the sound you want and how'd I go for it. The 200 cell cats and a well engineered exhaust without doubt or sit tight until then. I'm sure with a little penitence you'll have the cash sooner than you think. The stock exhaust is quite engineered and I tried different mufflers on my XK and it was money flushed down the toilet. The back pressure was too low and the car drove like a dog; new mufflers in the dumpster. I put the old muffler back on (x pipe remained on the car) and traded it in at that point. Was disappointing... I thought the money to do it right was a lot and maybe I could do it on the cheap; don't do it...

Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Magnaflow makes reasonably-priced replacement cats for our Jaguars, but I cannot find info on "cell count" with these cats. Does anyone know the cell counts?
Thanks.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

The $370 a side down pipes are probable stock count.

I went with the MPE-59975 (summit PN) Magnaflows and they were $117 each. Add in four o2 bungs and two 2.25" J bends and it's @ $300 to swap the cats plus labor.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I've fitted an X section in lieu of the dual resonators as well as 200 cell cats but retained the factory rear box and while it is much louder and aggressive I have no drone at cruising speed on highways. Didn't cost much either, less than a grand parts and labor. Do a search on here for Fricken Fast as he posted some youtube videos of his 200 cell cats.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Rey,
Magnaflow makes cat converter replacements for our cars so long as you don't live in either the Peoples' Republic of California or the Comrade State of New York. In fact, in my search last week, I found that there are no, none, zero after market cats for our cars (5.0L) that meet C.A.R.B. ( California Air Resource Board) certification requirements. I'm getting tired or resetting my check engine light.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I've fitted an X section in lieu of the dual resonators as well as 200 cell cats but retained the factory rear box and while it is much louder and aggressive I have no drone at cruising speed on highways. Didn't cost much either, less than a grand parts and labor. Do a search on here for Fricken Fast as he posted some youtube videos of his 200 cell cats.
The FrickenFast cats are $1,750, plus shipping. https://frickenfast.us/t/high-flow-race-catalyst How did you do the cats and x-pipe for under $1K? Whose cats did you use?