XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Final Fifty Convertible FS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 315 Posts

Also, quick questions: aren't the cats the two cans you can see on either side, way up in front?
And wouldn't the performance active exhaust have an x-pipe? Where would that have been?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Those up front are Cats. The 2012+ XKRs had the X-Pipe with no resonators, and the Performance Active is on the actual Back Box itself. Since that back box is removed, so is the PAE.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 03-16-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Oh I'm sure the car originally came with Performance Active Exhaust.
According to the GM, and I believe him, they can't CPO it as is. Jaguar will only CPO full-stock cars. Reading between the lines here's what I think the deal is: it was a cash purchase from a relative of the original owner, who's deceased (they also picked up a Bentley). I'm guessing it wasn't until they first put it up on a lift that they saw the exhaust-- and are now realizing they probably overpaid for it.

The one thing I'd say to them is that their advert still lists the car as having the performance exhaust. They've got to be straight with any new owner about that.
I have never met a dealer that offered a price on a car without a thorough examination so they can offer less.

If they took it in trade and "over paid" it was because they made it up on the sale on the other end.

I could be wrong, buy and pay what you like :-)

Old 03-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Also, quick questions: aren't the cats the two cans you can see on either side, way up in front?
And wouldn't the performance active exhaust have an x-pipe? Where would that have been?
Yep the 2 cans way up front are the cats. As for the exhaust I believe there were 2 options for the 5.0 XKR. The standard exhaust was what this looks like and it has a resonator with a mixing chamber and also has the vacuum actuated valve in the back box. The PAE (performance active exhaust) is/was a $1400 option which deleted the resonators and had an X pipe. I believe the back box is the same for both.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Since the car is a Final Fifty, PAE was standard-- it was part of the Final Fifty package. I just don't see where/how the X pipe would fit.
And there was no trade for this car. They bought it without making a sale.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Ah I missed the fine print about the PAE, actually for some reason I had it in my head that a Final Fifty was an XK, not an XKR. (I seem to recall some European version of Final Fifty in Germany that was a very lame sticker pack on an XK).

Seeing an XK centre exhaust section in the photo also confused me. Pretty odd that the owner of the car got hold of a stock XK exhaust to put on this thing.

Anyhow, an XKR with the PAE means a straight through centre pipe, with an x-pipe in it, and a unique rear muffler which is different to the regular XKR one. They aren't cheap, and neither is the centre pipe either.

It's not $7k for these two parts, but if the dealer is insisting on changing the cats as well, then it would start to add up.

You have to wonder about the rest of the car though, if the PO did this to the exhaust, what else has he fingered?

I'd want to be sure it hasn't got a crap tune flashed into it, that the sound system hasn't been messed with, and so on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
pk4144 (03-16-2018), SinF (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:04 PM

Since the car is a Final Fifty, PAE was standard-- it was part of the Final Fifty package. I just don't see where/how the X pipe would fit.
Final Fifty Convertible FS-23658396_1779695139003062_1371531485157921432_n.jpg

This is the centre pipe from the PAE, XKR-S, etc

There are not mufflers or resonators, just the x-pipe.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

If the cats have been changed, and since the car is in California, how can he sell it without putting it back to stock?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
If the cats have been changed, and since the car is in California, how can he sell it without putting it back to stock?
I think as long as the Cats are CA legal it does not matter whether they are OEM. I'm not sure who makes 50 state cats for these (nameless?).

Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

This is my 2012 PAE option at $1400 according to my window sticker.

Attached Thumbnails Final Fifty Convertible FS-dsc00091.jpg   Final Fifty Convertible FS-dsc00092.jpg  
pk4144 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This is my 2012 PAE option at $1400 according to my window sticker.
$1400 on top of the cost of the standard exhaust. When you have to buy them as spares it's more expensive.

The centre pipe is $1330, the rear muffler $4750, USD, according to some US-based dealer online shops. Plus taxes, etc...

EDIT

Does my head in when people remove the PAE from a car, half the time they throw the damn things out without realising what they cost!

EDIT again

You guys get ripped off in the states for these, in the UK they are $925 and $3300, respectively.

Last edited by Cambo; 03-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
pk4144 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,187 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Our high octane petrol is $2.50/gal, which is $0.65/Liter, or £0.50/liter.
How much is petrol over THERE?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

I consider it such a shame what has happened to this car in just three short years. I realize that the original owner is now deceased and that he had every right to do whatever he wanted to do to this car as he paid for it. But having most likely dropped north of $100K on it and to see it as it sits today is frustrating. Why didn't he just buy a regular XKR if this was to be the result.
I can certainly understand why car historians/collectors value originality in a car 30 to 40 years later.

SinF (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
I consider it such a shame what has happened to this car in just three short years. I realize that the original owner is now deceased and that he had every right to do whatever he wanted to do to this car as he paid for it. But having most likely dropped north of $100K on it and to see it as it sits today is frustrating. Why didn't he just buy a regular XKR if this was to be the result.
I can certainly understand why car historians/collectors value originality in a car 30 to 40 years later.
+1.
I liked this car more than I thought I would when I drove it. (And sure, it wasn't babied, but it's FINE. Enough with this "it's a dirty car" stuff. Nope.) They actually had one of the senior mechanics go out with me on the drive, and while we were driving around he agreed that he liked the sound of the PAE more. Me too. I have NO IDEA why the original owner would do this.
Other than that the car is super solid. My opinion is they've got to put it back to stock. It's one of only 25 convertibles like this, it's super low miles, and that dealership has good techs.

Last edited by pk4144; 03-16-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If this car has custom exhaust, it likely has other mods, like an engine tune. Some of these mods could be damaging and very expensive to reverse.

XKR KBB value is $52 to $57K. This is what you should be paying for this car unless it is mint, 100% stock and certified. Plus, final fifty is only meaningful to XKR owners. It won't make this car collectible in the future unless all XK become collectible.

Last edited by SinF; 03-16-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I have to agree with you on that. I don't think that "final 50" adds as much to the value as the sellers think.
Funny thing, there was a BRG-on-black XKR-S 'vert for sale in Michigan (of all places for a British car) a few months back that I really liked the look of, but it sold before I could get up to take a look. I knew it would go fast.
This one... it's a pretty car, and I LOVE those low miles, but the white interior just doesn't do it for me. I'll be curious to see how long this car stays on the lot, especially if they don't change that exhaust back and certify it.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:00 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

This car has many red flags.

1. The ivory interior is a mess. I had ivory seats in my 2013 XKR. I took exceptional care of my car and it looked better than new at 8,000 miles when I sold it. The ivory seats on this car look beige with all lot of staining. The stitching is black in a lot of areas from abuse.

2. The exhaust has been changed to some make shift hack.

3. The dealer replaced the stock rear tires. They say the tires were cracked.

4. The front splitter was replaced. Dealer says it was damaged. This could easily have happened.

Overall, the car is not clean. Can't be CPO'd. For only 4,000 miles this car has not been cared for. I offered them $55K cash; however, I will not make that offer again. It's a shame a car with only 4,000 miles looks like it has 30,000 miles based on the condition of the interior. Who knows what the original owner did to this car. Based on the condition it could not have been good.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

After more considered thought on this car I have a theory as what may have happened here. It is only a possibility and a guess, so don't read anything into it that may not be there. (Look closely at the underside photo provided , and all the scratches where you can see the reflection of the photographer.)

Perhaps the owner at some point had an unintended "off-road adventure" and somehow tore off the original exhaust system or otherwise damaged it significantly. Then seeing the extremely high cost of the OEM replacement parts, perhaps decided to get this franken-exhaust installed to save on the repair costs. (I just can't bring myself to believe that someone with this type of car and with such low mileage would go about the process of a costly exhaust replacement simply to get a different sound from the car.)

Only a wild guess, but perhaps someone can get a car-proof or car-fax on this vehicle.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
After more considered thought on this car I have a theory as what may have happened here. It is only a possibility and a guess, so don't read anything into it that may not be there. (Look closely at the underside photo provided , and all the scratches where you can see the reflection of the photographer.)

Perhaps the owner at some point had an unintended "off-road adventure" and somehow tore off the original exhaust system or otherwise damaged it significantly. Then seeing the extremely high cost of the OEM replacement parts, perhaps decided to get this franken-exhaust installed to save on the repair costs. (I just can't bring myself to believe that someone with this type of car and with such low mileage would go about the process of a costly exhaust replacement simply to get a different sound from the car.)

Only a wild guess, but perhaps someone can get a car-proof or car-fax on this vehicle.

You may have hit that nail square. It looks like the PO may have backed into/over something that damaged the back box (exhaust tips are easy to bugger up). I didn't detect scrape marks beyond that in the picture. If that is the case it wouldn't lead me to think other mods may have been made, but then again, only the PO knows for sure.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Sparky you may have something there with your theory. Taking a closer look at the scratches it appears the car either bottomed out or hit something. I just went out and looked at mine and both the back box and the rear pipes hang below my rear defuser. Although I have a standard defuser and the one on the car is larger/different he could have damaged the rear of the exhaust. It could have been a track mishap where insurance wouldn't cover it so they went the cheap way out. Still interesting to see what the history was. Also replacing the rear tires is an indication of smokin them to much.

Quick Reply: Final Fifty Convertible FS