Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally a good ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Sean, this is the simple answer you are looking for.
Its been 2+ years since I applied part A+B of CC36, nothing else since. So 72 washes approx.
Few weeks ago a forum member visited me, he can vouch how it looked immaculate and the water just flew off it.
Much appreciated Q&C. That answers my question on Sonax CC36 certainly and I'm glad you're still happy to recommend it.
I'm also researching what's entailed in re coating once the product (any ceramic or glass coating) ends its life cycle.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

OK I just looked at the Kamikaze ism. Its the same thing essentially. Few drawbacks, no upshots.
The key difference is, Sonax despite being a car care company that has full spectrum of professional products, such as 5 gal containers of wheel cleaner, does not have a dealer margin structure. Making the products available equally to consumers, in fact its consumers first.
The CC36 is aerosolized, which is a gamechanger that you might not realize not having used both.
So you dont get uneven amounts of fluid on your applicator, you get a thin film. Nor is your applicator building up product from the bottom up and drying on there. Its all to eliminate streaks and make application by novices.

This video will help.

In Germany they used the non aerosol version and you can see the streaks and uneven initial application (@ 2:20s) that he smooths out because he has experience and most importantly has the lighting!!

Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I'm also researching what's entailed in reacting once the product (any ceramic or glass coating) ends its life cycle.
Are you kidding. That's like asking at the altar, 'what happens when her ankles get thick' you will never find that answer.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Are you kidding. That's like asking at the altar, 'what happens when her ankles get thick' you will never find that answer.
LMAO! That's too funny. I watched the first video earlier. I think I found my answer to re-applying but will look for more:

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...how-to-recoat/

and probably more realistically here:

Obviously, like anyone, I want to avoid the deep cutting I've had to do since buying the car and now re-spraying. With the stated goal of keeping her as long as I'm able to drive, the longer the life of the product the less I'll have to do going forward. As it's admittedly a garage queen, and I don't drive it once they apply the first winter road salt to the roads up here, any ceramic coating should last more than the stated one year on Sonax or 2 years on Kamikaze.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Just know, if its garaged you dont need ceramic coating at all. A good wax will do the same thing, but require more frequent application

I have ceramic coating for one thing only, it makes drying a breeze (which is also where you get scratches). Its a near touchless drying with leaf blower.

Yes you will get 4+ years no matter which coating you use. Removal can be easier than what that chap did in the video, I used strong APC (Simple Green) and then only polished with ultra fine compound equal to 8000 grit. So the only thing I removed was the resin from Cquartz.

Incidentally Cquartz is still working fantastic on my wheels which I applied 4 years ago.
-----------------------------------
However, you may be in a unique position.
You realize that they make clear coat your painter will be using with ceramic in it. And it really works, I had to detail a BMW 7 series that had the ceramic clear coat and it ate my lunch, not even sandpaper would cut through it.
Here is one from PPG, so he can get it easy.
2K SCRATCH RESISTANT

https://corporate.ppg.com/Innovation...clearcoat.aspx

From BASF
https://www.basf.com/global/en/media...scratches.html

Last edited by Queen and Country; 11-02-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

I agree Sonax is a no-nonsense company and they dont try to rob folks on emotions. Many brands are repackaged lowend stuff. The classic is Mr Pink soap from chemical clowns. Its bubblegum sentenced pink dish soap- great idea lets make it appetizing to pets and children. And to what end, a car to smell fruity. Triple the price.

So anyone interested in applying ceramic coating and getting flawless results- i can show you how. Its not easy but I can make it super easy. Just start a thread and we can do a step by step tutorial.

Will ya look at the shine and panache of this thing:
I love that liquid, wet look. Fantastic job!

Queen and Country (11-02-2019)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background:
For my needs ceramic coatings have more cons than they do pros.

It attracts dust- high energy surface, the same reason that it repels water, it attracts dust. An issue on dark colors.

Reduces shine. If you want the quality mile deep clarity and gloss, ceramic wont cut it because its effectively a low grade clearcoat that you are applying by cloth.

Rough surface. Not as slick as caranuba wax.

You cant apply any other wax on top of it.

Its a bear to remove when its finally lost its effectiveness.

Now:
Just applied a new type of coating that eliminates most of those problems. I was skeptical. The difference is that its a 2-part coating. The first layer is like all the other ceramic coatings, with one small difference, you can apply it thinner and eliminate streaks. But then there is a second layer that adds the gloss and slickness.

Net result is that I have the gloss of a quality wax and the durability of ceramic. I needed this durability because I have a some organic contaminants that were happily bonding with the wax. The bonus is the insane water repulsion . Lets put it this way, after using a blower to get the water away from the car, I can dry the whole thing with just one paper towel (never do that it will scratch paint)

Its a German product not too well known yet, (the company is) Sonax CC36

I still use the regular ceramic coating for the wheels as it has performed amazingly well in that application. In fact, its going on 2 years and brake dust just beads off it with only water. Weak soap and water when very dirty.

I will post some videos when I can.
Is this a new technology? I've never heard of such floors before. Can I see a picture of your garage?

Old 09-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Originally Posted by jamifids
Is this a new technology? I've never heard of such floors before. Can I see a picture of your garage?
What makes you think Sonax CC36 is used on garage floors?

Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 AM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

if i did not believe gambling were immoral, i would bet you a friendly sum that mr. jamifids here, a brand new member who has just made his first post, is yet another victim of the default thread reader settings: he was reading the garage floor coating thread, jumped down to quick reply, and the UI quickly loaded this thread (or however that works) without him realizing he would be replying to it.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

I won't take that bet. That feature is called "Infinite Scroll", and almost everyone hates it. See:
Introducing Infinite Scroll

Fortunately, it can be turned off. Go to your User CP page and under Settings and Options select Edit Options. Then under Messaging & Notification scroll down to the Thread Display Options category, and then select "Disable Infinite Scroll" option.

You may also want to disable related threads.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-12-2021 at 04:29 PM.
jons (09-12-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
What makes you think Sonax CC36 is used on garage floors?
Finished the thread. Now I understand what we are talking about.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Looks like a good product but I didn't get any info on how long it lasts. The other important thing is the prep of the car. Unless you are a detailer or someone who knows about detailing the prep is the major part of the deal. If you look at the surface finish of the panel that they installed the product on it looked like glass. So the process of washing and claying followed by paint correction and polishing gets the surface ready. That usually takes around 20 hours of labor. Follow that by the application and wait time and the car is tied up for a week. Almost all ceramic products are about the same and they are great . Had my car done back in march and It is great. Wash the car once a week and blow dry it with my leaf blower. Don't even need to wipe it with a microfiber cloth. I'll see how it goes through the winter when I get snow and slush on it. I had a dual coat which supposed to last 5-8 years. We'll see but when you look at the car it looks like glass.