XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Front License plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, the tow hook mount started to bother me, and I removed it.

Went with desert's toggle bolt system (3" bolts) mounted on the lower grille.

Sleek (relatively), and looks like part of the car rather than added on.

Anyway, experimenting is fun.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Screw the front plate, I'll take my chances.

The following users liked this post:
sandydlc (06-11-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will NEVER EVER drill a hole in my car. There is zero reason for a front plate and if necessary i will use the tow hook if i get too many tickets but f every cop in illinois if I'm ruining my car.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this retractable plate on youtube. It works fantastic and is so stealth. If I was required to have a front plate in my state, I would definitely get one

Old 05-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered and received the Sitca?? (Something like that) that uses only two small screws on the underside of the bumper. I also ordered the James Bond remote power folding one which was back ordered but hopefully will have it too.
I ordered both as I would rather have the spiffy power folding unit, but, I am not sure it will have adequate ground clearance when retracted. Additionally I wonder if the wind at high speed may cause it to chatter, in the retracted mode.
Anyway, providing I get the power one before I get my car, I will try the power one first and let you know my findings. Either way, no holes in the bumper.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (11-04-2018)
Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting to like the tow hook mount. Being off to one side reminds me of the one guy at school that was cool enough to pull off wearing his belt with the buckle off to one side.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I also live in Texas - a "front plate required" state - had the car for about two years - no front plate, no tickets yet and no intention of fitting one - but I do know that you can get mounting brackets from Jag - just not gonna do it!!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the front plate...on the 07 I had, I didn't have a front plate on it and I lived in NY which is a front plate state...3 yrs...no tickets. On my 08, which I bought used, it came with the front plate bolted into the bumper. While Cali is also a front plate state, it tears me up that my car has this ugly bolted on front plate. I am contemplating removing it and having a good body shop fix it since I hate it so much.

The whole front plate law also seems to be very subjectively enforced...I NEVER see a corvette with a front plate, or other high end sports cars...I almost feel like the police agree that it's a shame putting a front plate on a sleek sports car. Lol

Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalJag
The whole front plate law also seems to be very subjectively enforced...I NEVER see a corvette with a front plate, or other high end sports cars...I almost feel like the police agree that it's a shame putting a front plate on a sleek sports car. Lol
The greatest problem we face now is that LEO is shifting many of its duties from "Serve and Protect" to "Cite and Generate income". So I would expect this to become more of an issue as the years pass.
Plates (like loud exhaust) are not a time worthy stop, as I believe it generates a "Fix-it" ticket, only good for $25 or so. But you can bet you wil gett looked at closely for other issues, and the plate will just be an add-on to any citation.

Wait till they legalize camera citations.... The front plate issue will really come to life then!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-30-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both my husband and I own cars that do not have a front license plate mounting bracket and would require drilling into the front bumper in order to install one. In my opinion that devalues the car and I don't see how you should be required to damage your car and how the State Patrol can ticket you for that alone. Now, if you're caught going over 100 mph, they will have no mercy and nail you for every petty infraction, including the front plate but that's what radar detectors/laser jammers are for!!

Sandy

Old 05-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been stopped by local Houston police for no front license plate (in one of those freeway underpass U-turn lanes where they like to set up sting operations to check for seatbelts). The cop's response was "that's why they give you two", but he only gave me a warning. Unfortunately, it is the law here in Texas and they can ticket you for it if they want to--they really don't care if it defaces your car.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sandydlc
I don't see how you should be required to damage your car and how the State Patrol can ticket you for that alone.

Sandy
Not arguing with you Sandy, but the simple truth for us here in Washington is that "It's the law...." Clear cut, plain and simple and in black and white... (RCW 46.16A.200, and just found out it carries a $124 fine.)

I'd love to see it changed too, but with all our toll systems going in place its just going to get worse.

Of additional interest is the new mobile car cameras we maintain on our police units. They record your license plate and GPS location just by passing you head-on (even with 140mph approach speeds)! Advantage is that if the car is stolen they get an instant in-car alert.

I also fear a darker side to the big brother money making effect that is soon to be coming...

Vince

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not arguing with you Sandy, but the simple truth for us here in Washington is that "It's the law...." Clear cut, plain and simple and in black and white... (RCW 46.16A.200, and just found out it carries a $124 fine.)

I have to agree, it's the law there's nothing you can do so either keep ponying up the fines or put a plate on.

I also fear a darker side to the big brother money making effect that is soon to be coming...

Vince
No doubt, have you seen the average speed cameras that they use in the UK? They have a camera using number plate recognition at the entry and exit of a section of road, it doesn't matter what your speed is when you pass the camera, the system calculates your speed between the camera locations.
SPECS speed cameras explained, UK SPECS traffic cameras

Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
No doubt, have you seen the average speed cameras that they use in the UK? They have a camera using number plate recognition at the entry and exit of a section of road, it doesn't matter what your speed is when you pass the camera, the system calculates your speed between the camera locations.
SPECS speed cameras explained, UK SPECS traffic cameras
Yup, my point exactly....

Last year(or two?) they installed plate monitoring "traffic cams" around the Seattle area. All done under the guise of "easing congestion".

Wont be but a few more years and those cams will start issuing tickets because there was no way you can travel from point A to point B in X minutes without breaking the speed limit....

Isn't technology wonderful....

V

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Isn't technology wonderful....

V
Indeed! I believe they have a similar system on the French Autoroutes which are toll roads, if you reach the next tollgate to quickly....Kaching!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, the "fixit" ticket has become a thing of the past in most states.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Also, the "fixit" ticket has become a thing of the past in most states.
Still valid here in WA State, but I did confirm that a missing front plate does not fall under that category. It is simply a $124 fine now.

V

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Still valid here in WA State, but I did confirm that a missing front plate does not fall under that category. It is simply a $124 fine now.

V
That's what I meant. Front license plates don't fall under the fixit ticket in most states anymore.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry HouTex that you got stopped. My experience in Houston is like Kevin's. 1 1/2 yr with no stop for no front plate on my blk 07 xkr. Of course one nice thing about TX plates is for a fee you can order them in just about any color and in a couple of dozen designs. I went with the following.

Name:  IMG_0033.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

So I decided to tackle this project with a "keep it simple" idea.

Using aluminum strips, I built a plate holder that is quickly removable from the car, with little evidence of its existence.

First was the retaining bracket to mount under the nose.

Then a couple brackets to hold the plate and interlock with the retainer.

With plate in place you can see how the latching will take place.

View with the plate mounted:

Pinching the brackets lets you slid the plate off the car:

Still a few refinements to go, but for Version 1, I am pretty happy...

Vince

The following 3 users liked this post by CleverName:
britannia (01-12-2013), guy (11-05-2018), kustom (01-10-2013)

Quick Reply: Front License plate