XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Galpin Motos Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Galpin Motos Car Show

Although we have Supercar Sunday every week, here in So Cal, Galpin Motors (Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, Aston Martin,, Mazda, VW, Lotus, etc.) had their second annual car show this morning, and it was quite impressive. With over a 1000 cars spread across their dealerships along a major boulevard, there was quite a bit to see. If you had pre-registered a car to exhibit, you were also treated to a champagne breakfast in their mezzanine Aston Martin Showroom, it was great. At that location, The Jaguar, Lincoln, Aston Martin, Lotus building, in the front and rear parking lots were parked most of the exotics including Ferraris, Lambos, Lotuses, a new Acura NSX, a Detomaso Pantera (not mine), many Aston Martins, Porsches, and a few Jaguars. I had registered my Pantera two nights ago as I was promised delivery by yesterday afternoon (after four years of restoration/modification). Unfortunately, on the way to the detailer who was to buff out 4 years' worth of dust from the paint before they delivered the car to me, the alternator got fried, and they had to tow the car back to the shop. Another false alarm! I emailed the coordinator of the show asking if I could substitute my lovely XKR instead, and she said, "Of course." So, that's what I took and was parked inbetween a very nice XJS 12 cyl. and a spectacular Series 1 XKE that I've often seen at other shows. We were situated just across the aisle from our cousin Aston Martins. I'm not impressed with the new front end treatments on them. There was also one lonely white De Tomaso Pantera GT5S with an empty space next to it, no doubt reserved for my missing in action Pantera. There were some incredibly well restored Lotuses, but my favorite car that I saw the whole morning, inside of the showroom was a gorgeous 1962 (I believe) convertible Lincoln Continental, just beautiful. And its license plate was RIP JFK. There were thousands of people walking through each of Galpin's dealerships looking at the cars, just a wonderful turnout and fun day. Maybe next year with some advanced notice, we can get a larger Jaguar Forum contingency to show up and meet and greet. Terrific event! Below some pictures.

The following 8 users liked this post by tberg:
JonWat (10-09-2018), kj07xk (10-07-2018), Malt (10-08-2018), peterv8 (10-07-2018), pwpacp (10-08-2018), sharx8 (10-10-2018), TexasTraveler (10-09-2018), winstonsalemncxk (10-07-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Oh wow, the new DBS Superleggera. How was that?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

I just can't get past the front styling of all of the Astons now. There is just no shape but a big hole in the front of every model. And the Vantage front end's panel fit where it meets the side fenders is not good, and the whole effect is very reminiscent of some cheap Mazdas. The Superleggera certainly looks aggressive but that front whale sized mouth is just not my style. As for the Vantage, I think Aston took what could have arguably been the most perfect car design ever and cheapened it, front and side. I do like the molded rear integrated spoiler, but nothing else as much as a five year old Vantage. And by the way, I don't like the lower fascia treatment of the new F-type either. I don't think it's as nice or aggressive as the double verticle intakes of the original.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Isn't the red lotus the one modified by chip foose for jay leno's worker.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

Jagtoes,
It might have been. The car was gorgeous, the engine and bay were so clean, you could eat off of it.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The Rapide S started the big mouth look. It was to separate the models more than they were with Rapide. I have trouble telling them apart!