XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Garage Opener

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Garage Opener

Under what circumstances does the integrated Garage Door opener not program? I've tried numerous times to program it by holding the opener next to the Homelink and and pressing both at the same time. The fast flash never happens and it doesn't get programmed.

Do I have to buy a certain type of opener and program it first. And then try to program the Jag one?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Have you tried the instructions for a rolling code transmitter using the learn button?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

+1 on the rolling code programming...my garage door opener uses rolling codes...most modern ones do.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

You may need to clear it of the old codes first.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

If its simply an incompatibility issue, you may check into getting a Universal receiver. Sears sells one that plugs into an outlet and wires to the two electrical lugs on the lift motor for the wall switch. Its supposed to update old units to the new rolling code type but I bought one because my unit's internal receiver failed and it was cheaper than replacing the circuit board. I have programmed my xj8s system for the $27 Sears 315mhz Universal Receiver and it works just great.

Last edited by pdupler; 12-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Try this first. First try erasing any old codes by holding button 1 and 3 at the same time until the lights get faster and the nshut off. Now program your new remote by pressing the number you want it to until that light goes out. Now push the purple or black program button on your home garage motor and quickly go to your car and try the button a few times until your garage light flickers a few times. Then it should work fine. Make sure you hold the remote to the homelink close together.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I recently acquired an 012 XK and I have not been able to program it to a Genie garage door opener. The shop foreman from the dealership where I got the car has come out twice (once before & once after replacing the unit in the car) and has been unable to get it to work either. The factory is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Under what circumstances does the integrated Garage Door opener not program? I've tried numerous times to program it by holding the opener next to the Homelink and and pressing both at the same time. The fast flash never happens and it doesn't get programmed.

Do I have to buy a certain type of opener and program it first. And then try to program the Jag one?
That only works on very old garage door openers. Most newer ones have a rolling code - there should be a "Program" button on the side of your garage door opener - just push the "Program" button, then get in your car and push the Homelink button you want to program until the door opens/closes. You usually have about 30 seconds to push the Homelink button before the opener resets. You may have to push the Homelink button for 2 seconds/release/repeat.

Last edited by Gray XK; 06-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

The procedure is the same almost regardless of car manufacturer. They all OEM the same Homelink circuit.

I have brand new Genie rolling codes and I promise they work fine. But it's a multi step process.

Clear your Homelink like BigCat said. Then program your homelink by holding the remote near the Jag's button and pressing the desired homelink button and the remote at the same time. 10 seconds or so later, you should see the blinking change to steady and you're ready for the next step. You need to push the learn code on the Opener itself and within 30 seconds or so push and hold the button you just programmed on the Jag for about 10 to 15 seconds. Now release and press again. And again -- the door should move.

We are, of course, assuming that the hardware isn't defective on either side. It's just that homelink is a little fiddly.

The following users liked this post:
Sather97 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing to be sure of (I made this mistake at first): Be sure your car is in "convenience mode" when programming the remote/homelink. This means after openning the door, don't touch the start/stop button - - just with the "convenience" lights on, but not the nav system, the full instrument panel, etc.

Convenience mode
When the door is opened using either the Jaguar Smart Key or keyless entry, the electrical system enters convenience mode.

I was scratching my head at first because I would always try to program the stuff after powering the car up in what I call "auxillary" mode, meaning engine off but start button pushed. Once I tried it in true "convenience" mode, the programming/homelink worked.

Last edited by OC_Gunman; 06-19-2012 at 11:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OC_Gunman:
ExKayRick (07-13-2020), Sather97 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
+1 on the rolling code programming...my garage door opener uses rolling codes...most modern ones do.
U are right dude any one know about such programming,.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Here's how I programmed the HomeLink buttons in my 2009 XKR for my rolling code garage door.

The HomeLink buttons inside your car must first be initialized in order to be recognized by the rolling code receiver. But before you do so, you have to clear the HomeLink transmitter buttons in your car by holding down the outside 2 buttons until the light above Button #2 flashes quickly. Then you can initialize each HomeLink button. Follow these steps:

1. Open your garage door and then unplug your garage door opener motor.

2. Next, get the remote control transmitter that came with the garage door opener and go sit in your car.

3. Hold the remote control transmitter next to the HomeLink button you want to initialize and press them both until the HomeLink light above the middle button flashes quickly (about 10 seconds). Release both buttons.

4. Plug the garage door opener motor back in.

5. Open the panel on your garage door opener motor housing and press the red (usually) "send" button to send the rolling code to the car.

6. HURRY! Get back in your car and within 10 seconds press the HomeLink button you just initialized and hold it until the light bulb(s) in the garage door motor housing flash off and on. Release that HomeLink button and then press it again (for 2-3 seconds). It should work to open and close your garage door. (If not, try repeating the above steps for Button #2 and Button #3.

You can repeat the above steps for the other 2 buttons if you want to program all of them to work to open your garage door or another door. If you have more than one car, you should to program all of them at the same time so they all have the same rolling code.

Hope this helps,

Stuart
p.s. If this worked for you, consider giving me a "Thanks" by clicking the Thumb Up icon at the bottom right of this post.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-28-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add postscript
The following 10 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Arjtpa (07-30-2012), crebri (08-28-2012), eg320 (11-29-2012), Feffman (02-28-2018), hawaii (11-29-2012), mhminnich (04-11-2016), Mpresion (08-12-2012), myexcursion (03-01-2018), SkipM (09-04-2012), time2go (12-07-2012) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Here's how I programmed the HomeLink buttons in my 2009 XKR for my rolling code garage door.

The HomeLink buttons inside your car must first be initialized in order to be recognized by the rolling code receiver. But before you do so, you have to clear the HomeLink transmitter buttons in your car by holding down the outside 2 buttons until the light above Button #2 flashes quickly. Then you can initialize each HomeLink button. Follow these steps:

2. Next, get the remote control transmitter that came with the garage door opener and go sit in your car.

3. Hold the remote control transmitter next to the HomeLink button you want to initialize and press them both until the HomeLink light above the middle button flashes quickly (about 10 seconds). Release both buttons.

5. Open the panel on your garage door opener motor housing and press the red (usually) "send" button to send the rolling code to the car.

6. HURRY! Get back in your car and within 10 seconds press the HomeLink button you just initialized and hold it until the light bulb(s) in the garage door motor housing flash off and on. Release that HomeLink button and then press it again (for 2-3 seconds). It should work to open and close your garage door. (If not, try repeating the above steps for Button #2 and Button #3.

You can repeat the above steps for the other 2 buttons if you want to program all of them to work to open your garage door or another door. If you have more than one car, you should to program all of them at the same time so they all have the same rolling code.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

I had all but given up programming my garage buttons! Every few months or so, I've tried..and tried..and tried. I got in the mood and decided to try again. Then I read this post. It seemed weird but ... IT WORKED !!!! Whooo Hooo !!!

Anyone having trouble, read and follow this post like gospel!

The following users liked this post:
philbone (07-21-2016)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope this method works. The neighbors are getting tired of me honking for my wife to run to the garage and press the button

Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
I hope this method works. The neighbors are getting tired of me honking for my wife to run to the garage and press the button
Haha... automatic!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Hope this helps,

Stuart
p.s. If this worked for you, consider giving me a "Thanks".

OMG! I was racking my brains out as any way wasn't working.... That was until I tried this method.... And it now works like a charm!

Thanks so much!!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM

I had a similar problem programming my car, I ended up using the remote from the garage door opener to program the car. I tried everything two or three times as instructed, and as a last resort it worked.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Finally got around to trying Stuart's instructions - and it works. I've only tried it 10-15 times on my own. Guess I just needed it laid out step-by-step.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also call Homelink if the above instructions don't work for you. My maintenance guy called Homelink and told them the model number of the garage door and my car. Homelink then read him specific instructions for that combination (and they were very different than what the Jaguar manual said). He was surprised at how knowledgeable and courteous the people at Homelink were, especially because they stayed on the phone with him until verifying that the pairing worked.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't tried it yet, but will, but thanks was because I liked your wheels

Quick Reply: Garage Opener