XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Gonna be a tough search

Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Gonna be a tough search

So far I have been using the typical sites (autotrader , cars.com , cargru , jag usa and a few others) and it seems there are a lot of selections for R coupes and a fair selection of 2010-2011's but few to none 2012's. The ones I see are either Black , Ebony , white or silver. So for those who have purchased based on finding the cars on the internet what was the different areas that you searched. Is it just that we are in winter months and not to many converts are coming off lease or being traded. Hopefully the selection process will open up a little in the next couple of months. Just wondering as I know I'll be getting one but may have to settle on a color.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
So far I have been using the typical sites (autotrader , cars.com , cargru , jag usa and a few others) and it seems there are a lot of selections for R coupes and a fair selection of 2010-2011's but few to none 2012's. The ones I see are either Black , Ebony , white or silver. So for those who have purchased based on finding the cars on the internet what was the different areas that you searched. Is it just that we are in winter months and not to many converts are coming off lease or being traded. Hopefully the selection process will open up a little in the next couple of months. Just wondering as I know I'll be getting one but may have to settle on a color.
Think that your using most of the popular search sites for a 2012 Jaguar XKR Convertible. You probably just have to keep looking.

If you Google your desired car, it will make a search of all sites on one page, even dealer listings. Don't forget about eBay......may be your 2nd best source.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Finding the "right car" might take some time and efforts on your part. I've seen some members who were persistent wait quite some time before they found their car. Keep looking. There are not many of these cars made period, so finding a good one can take awhile. Be patient. Autotrader and ebay are your best bets or just google what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

I think your best source is the Jaguarusa.com website. Right now it shows a total of 29 2012 XK/XKR models. There are five red 2012s, including two XKR-S models with 6K miles and one BRG/ivory XKR with 22K miles. You can do an advanced search by color. Here's the link:
http:// http://www.jaguarusa.com/qua...inventory.html

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-05-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I think your best source is the Jaguarusa.com website. Right now it shows a total of 29 2012 XK/XKR models. There are five red 2012s, including two XKR-S models with 6K miles and one BRG/ivory XKR with 22K miles. You can do an advanced search by color. Here's the link:
http:// http://www.jaguarusa.com/qua...inventory.html

Happy Hunting!
Thanks and that is one of the sites I'm going through. The problem for me is on almost all of these sites the selection on convertibles are very limited . It looks like I could buy what I would be looking for if I wanted a coupe. There are a lot of them and in various color selections but as I posted the verts are few and limited in colors. It seems from my searches that the XK were purchased in many more color choices and verts then the R's.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Even when you get away from the black/white/grey/silver axis, some of the other colours are pretty dark - azurite & indigo are almost black, and so is BRG.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Even when you get away from the black/white/grey/silver axis, some of the other colours are pretty dark - azurite & indigo are almost black, and so is BRG.
Yep I agree and depending on the length of my search I may settle for one. So far I am dealing only with pictures so as the weather gets better (I hope in a month or so) I'll get to see them up close. That may change my mind as to whether I'll pick one of them vs waiting for something else coming along. Out of the 11 fun cars I have had only 3 were verts. Although I like the lines of a coupe I want the next fun car to be a vert. Also I do like the slight changes to the 2012 but if the whole package was right I may consider a 2011. Time will tell I guess but the hunting is fun.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I've always felt convertibles are a bit wasted here in the UK, so I went with a coupe. And I settled for Stratus Grey rather than one of the black options, because the car is very special, so I know where you're coming from. I spent several months looking for a car that had the right looks and performance options within my budget, and I'm 100% happy with my choice. So, good luck, stick with it - your car is out there…

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
jagtoes (01-05-2014), Lothar52 (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
My suggestion is just be patient and you will find what you want. In late May 2013, I searched for a Jaguar XKR convert after visiting the local Jaguar dealer and looking at the F-Type. In the dealer showroom was a beautiful 2013 XKR vert that I immediately fell in love with. The price was $108,000 and the dealer would only come down to $103,000.

I then started my search using all of the websites that you are currently using. I looked at many XKR's and finally bought a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition vert with only 13,500 miles for $46,000. The car was in Florida and I had it shipped to me in New Mexico for $900 bucks. The car was and still is in mint condition.

So they are out there. Don't be afraid to pick and choose. This is a big expense, so get what you want. I am so pleased that I went with the convertible model. Here in southern New Mexico I get to put the top down quite a bit. The vert is a beautiful automobile. Although mine is a 2009 4.2 L SC, it has plenty of power for my liking. The car continuously turns heads and I get so many compliments on the car when I drive it.

For my coupe ride, I went out and bought a 2014 Porsche Cayman 981, which I also love. So I have my choice between the coupe and convertible.

For myself, the only Jaguar XKR to own is the convertible.

Best to you on your search.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the Jaguar USA web page and looked at inventory across the nation. I found exactly what I was looking for and my local dealership handled the entire transaction and shipping from another dealer 1000 miles away. The 2 dealerships ended up trading inventory and everyone including me ended up happy in the deal. I felt like I was more protected from a rip off or a bad car, because both dealerships had to do a CPO type inspection in order to transfer the car. I might have paid $300-$500 more, but it was worth it. The car was everything it was supposed to be and then some. $300-$500 isn't much of a premium considered it was handled by a jaguar dealer carrier and was thoroughly inspected by 2 parties. I would try this with your dealer and see if they are interested. Worked well for me.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKR-NC
I went through the Jaguar USA web page and looked at inventory across the nation. I found exactly what I was looking for and my local dealership handled the entire transaction and shipping from another dealer 1000 miles away. The 2 dealerships ended up trading inventory and everyone including me ended up happy in the deal. I felt like I was more protected from a rip off or a bad car, because both dealerships had to do a CPO type inspection in order to transfer the car. I might have paid $300-$500 more, but it was worth it. The car was everything it was supposed to be and then some. $300-$500 isn't much of a premium considered it was handled by a jaguar dealer carrier and was thoroughly inspected by 2 parties. I would try this with your dealer and see if they are interested. Worked well for me.
I'm going to look for a dealer and salesman who I could somewhat trust. I know used car dealers and trust can't be used in the same sentence, lol. My problem is the nearest dealer is either 75 miles north or 85 miles south so I need to find someone who knows someone. I'm working on it.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and the 2013 Blue/Blue is of interest and almost meets my list although the mileage was over my limit of 10K. I do like the color so it goes on the list. The others seem to be the most favorable vert colors of black , white and silver. Thanks

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

He He....
^^All are a "fail" for me.... Every one has only one thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel...
I hope to upgrade in a year or so to the R version, and refuse to have a car with less than I have now... First image I look at is the steering wheel because I love my Adaptive Cruse, and Collision Alert!
The only other feature I don't have that I want is the front parking sensors.

Sigh... I love my car....

Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
He He....
^^All are a "fail" for me.... Every one has only one thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel...
I hope to upgrade in a year or so to the R version, and refuse to have a car with less than I have now... First image I look at is the steering wheel because I love my Adaptive Cruse, and Collision Alert!
The only other feature I don't have that I want is the front parking sensors.

Sigh... I love my car....
F&R parking sensors, Adaptive Cruse Control, and adaptive headlights first became standard equipment on all 2010 XKRs (5.0L, USA models). Not so in later years; ACC was optional. So, you'll find everything you want with the 2010s, plus you'll save $$$ over a 2012. But you won't have a backup camera. My 2009 has all three, but the ACC was an option and it is rare as are the Alcon brakes.

I love mine, too!

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-05-2014 at 11:23 PM.