XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

GPS or Black Boxes on board?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default GPS or Black Boxes on board?

Sounds more like an airplane question, but I was wondering if the 2007/8 XK's have either:
1) OEM non-navigational GPS transmitter to broadcast (I almost said "give away") the location of the vehicle to any inquiring parties, or...
2) any speed, wheel input, g-force, ad nausiem OEM recording devices to "document" any or all relevant actions taken by the driver while, well, driving.

Thank you, Rusty

Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the GPS locator is part of the Sercurity system. The car also records like a black box in an aircraft; speeds, gforces etc. I was assured when I made inquiries before purchase that none of this information is made available to anyone or reviewed by the dealer without permission. However I had one of the active headlights break in my car and the dealer claimed it was as a result of "impact". No impact had occurred however had been through a large pothole. I am hoping that the information was recorded as a fault on the EMS computer not retrieved from the black box. I am told that the information can be quite handy in any accident/insurance claim. I am not sure what time period of information is saved.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davies
Yes the GPS locator is part of the Sercurity system. The car also records like a black box in an aircraft; speeds, gforces etc. I was assured when I made inquiries before purchase that none of this information is made available to anyone or reviewed by the dealer without permission. However I had one of the active headlights break in my car and the dealer claimed it was as a result of "impact". No impact had occurred however had been through a large pothole. I am hoping that the information was recorded as a fault on the EMS computer not retrieved from the black box. I am told that the information can be quite handy in any accident/insurance claim. I am not sure what time period of information is saved.
Hello Davies, and thanks for answering that! I thought it would be wired up for those things, and wanted to be sure. I would imagine the recorders are all digital, and so would be able to record for long periods, maybe years. Probably can be checked and the recorder refreshed during maintenance. Tying the GPS into the security is very smart. Makes the getaway much more difficult (for the bad guys)!

Thanks again!