Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Had to do it , front plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Had to do it , front plate

Well after a week and a warning I finally mounted my front licence plate holder. I didn't want to do it but I didn't want to get harassed either. So after looking at it for a while I came up with a way of doing it. I mounted a 3/4" x 1/2" aluminum angle under the center nose section. Only drilled 2 small holes but it was under the center and if removed at a latter time you can't see the 2 holes. Next I mounted the Jaguar plate holder upside down and using the 2 countersunk holes screwed into the aluminum . I also used double sided tape on the upper center mount which held the mounting bracket to the front center cross member. Everything is tight and I don't take away much of the cooling area under the center section. The plate is on solid and unless you try to rip it off it should stay forever. I think it looks OK and is balanced.

Attached Thumbnails Had to do it , front plate-jag-plate-holder.jpg   Had to do it , front plate-jag-plate-2.jpg  
Old 05-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Well after a week and a warning I didn't want to do it but I didn't want to get harassed either.
what a shame. I feel badly for you. However, it could be a lot worse. YOu could live in Chicago, where cops dont have a problem stealing cars off the street that they want, by having it towed and hidden, until they can do a numbers job on the car

Or you could live in southern cal, where they ticket and impound cars with straight pipes, as environmental hazards for noise pollution. Or worse you could have the car seized if you do a O2 senor bypass or cheat the ecu to ignore the sensor

The following users liked this post:
Jffcurt (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Part of the problem in the US is the shape of the plates, and then the bulky holder. Euro plates are wider and shorter, so they fit better between the two grills, and they're plastic so they can bend a bit to match the curve. And, since everyone here has to have front plates, there's no issue with mounting them straight onto the bumper, since no-one is ever going to remove them.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

So glad I live in Florida!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Looks good, but the license plate itself, is missing some numbers......

I really don't understand why people block out their plates on photos.

Do people really think they are trying to protect their identity?

Once anyone goes on a computer their indentity is lost. Do people think that someone will try to run the license plate and find the car to steal? Do people think that someone will track down the license plate address and come rob your home?

What most people don't realize, if someone wants to gain access to you or your information, in todays world with computers it is so easy to track down anyone.

There was a great documentary last Sunday with Morgan Spurlock on CNN about how much information is out in cyberspace on anyone that uses a computer and the company that gathers all that information on all of us. That company is Epsilon. Check them out. Anyone who saw this broadcast would certainly understand what I am saying.

There is no privacy anymore, so why try to be or go "incognito".

MaximA (05-14-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Do people think that someone will track down the license plate address and come rob your home?
Please post your home address

Leave the keys in the Cayman

GIve me the combo to the safe

And I will leave you that video my boyfriend made

Have a great day:icon_slap2 :

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
MaximA (05-14-2014), richzak (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
Please post your home address

Leave the keys in the Cayman

GIve me the combo to the safe

And I will leave you that video my boyfriend made

Have a great day:icon_slap2 :
Come on over.....

Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I also have a front plate. But I basically mounted it using one of those cheap $5 plate holders like this:

However, I mounted it over the front grille. To do this I used toggle bolts, and some thick rubber dishwasher tube, which provides the spacing. The plate hovers over the grille and doesn't move in high speed. We'll see how the rubber holds up through the years, but it has been fine for 18 months now!

http://www.floridatoolandfastener.co..._300-01-01.jpg

The result is not bad.

Attached Thumbnails Had to do it , front plate-c54b3894-9844-4966-8fae-6f20bf7e8d73_300.jpg   Had to do it , front plate-xkrfront.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I also have a front plate. But I basically mounted it using one of those cheap $5 plate holders like this:

However, I mounted it over the front grille. To do this I used toggle bolts, and some thick rubber dishwasher tube, which provides the spacing. The plate hovers over the grille and doesn't move in high speed. We'll see how the rubber holds up through the years, but it has been fine for 18 months now!

http://www.floridatoolandfastener.co..._300-01-01.jpg

The result is not bad.

Very nice photo.........great looking car.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
There is no privacy anymore, so why try to be or go "incognito".
It is to stop number plate cloning. I don't know if it still is, but it used to be quite common in the UK. Put the same number plates from a similar car on your car and you can go through speed cameras, get parking tickets, etc and not worry about the consequences.

You also don't have to worry so much about getting stopped for no road fund tax or insurance, assuming the original car is legal

Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
what a shame. I feel badly for you. However, it could be a lot worse. YOu could live in Chicago, where cops dont have a problem stealing cars off the street that they want, by having it towed and hidden, until they can do a numbers job on the car

Or you could live in southern cal, where they ticket and impound cars with straight pipes, as environmental hazards for noise pollution. Or worse you could have the car seized if you do a O2 senor bypass or cheat the ecu to ignore the sensor
New Yorkistan is no better...

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The "Authorities" say the front plate helps them track down the bad guys. If they really need that to apprehend someone, Lord help us! Many States do not require a front plate and they function just as well.

I'll take the fines as long as it does not add points to my insurance. I haven't used a front plate in a decade and the only ticket (very nominal citation) I got was when the car was meter parked in front of a town hall.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The "Authorities" say the front plate helps them track down the bad guys. If they really need that to apprehend someone, Lord help us! Many States do not require a front plate and they function just as well.

I'll take the fines as long as it does not add points to my insurance. I haven't used a front plate in a decade and the only ticket (very nominal citation) I got was when the car was meter parked in front of a town hall.
You can get away with it in certain areas but, New York isn't one of them. It just gives them a legitimate reason to pull you over. Not worth the hassle imho

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

This used to be a fix it ticket in the old days but now it's just another way for revenue. When you go to court today it costs between $75-$150 just for court fees let alone the fine. I also live 10 miles away from a trooper barracks so there are a good number of statee's on he local roads. Even the LEO's I know say the new kids would ding you so no use putting up with the hassle.
As to showing plate numbers it's just a roll over from my Ferrari days. That group would not show plates based on having high end cars which translated to maybe high end goods in the home. There are ways to get your home address from your plates. I would bet there are people looking at even this site for potential targets . The world has changed .

Last edited by jagtoes; 05-11-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Another thing I've heard is that not having a front plate (or having a taillight out) is probable cause for the police to pull you over. If you've had a glass of wine at dinner, this could be problematic...

Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This used to be a fix it ticket in the old days but now it's just another way for revenue. When you go to court today it costs between $75-$150 just for court fees let alone the fine. I also live 10 miles away from a trooper barracks so there are a good number of statee's on he local roads. Even the LEO's I know say the new kids would ding you so no use putting up with the hassle.
As to showing plate numbers it's just a roll over from my Ferrari days. That group would not show plates based on having high end cars which translated to maybe high end goods in the home. There are ways to get your home address from your plates. I would bet there are people looking at even this site for potential targets . The world has changed .
I used to live about a mile away from one of those too (Ulster County). Freakin' cops were everywhere. As long as you knew the right people you could get away with pretty much anything. My g/f's ex was a detective for the Statee's and he got sick of getting her out of tickets (she drives like a lunatic). He eventually got her a Junior G-Man Badge. It looks like a real undercover badge that has his card underneath it. It's basically a gold PBA card that will get you out of most anything.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am still driving on my dealer's temporary reg (bought mine from a used car dealer) I plan on milking that as long as I can. But they are enforcing the front plate here in the Peoples Republic of California. Now with the plate recognition police cars, red light cameras, toll bridges that no longer take money (snap a pic and bill you). I know I am going to have to, but sure not looking forward to vandalizing the front of my car. Has anybody tried the Altec show n Go ?

License Plate Frames - Altec Products Inc.

sherbercars (05-15-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Reason For Front Plates

I think the initial reason for requiring cars to have both front and rear plates was that it doubled the chances of eye witnesses getting the plate number of a car fleeing a crime scene or involved in a hit & run accident.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by liquid-chris
I am still driving on my dealer's temporary reg (bought mine from a used car dealer) I plan on milking that as long as I can. But they are enforcing the front plate here in the Peoples Republic of California. Now with the plate recognition police cars, red light cameras, toll bridges that no longer take money (snap a pic and bill you). I know I am going to have to, but sure not looking forward to vandalizing the front of my car. Has anybody tried the Altec show n Go ?

License Plate Frames - Altec Products Inc.
That's pretty slick - never seen that before.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
I think the initial reason for requiring cars to have both front and rear plates was that it doubled the chances of eye witnesses getting the plate number of a car fleeing a crime scene or involved in a hit & run accident.
The State of Iowa just passed a new law that prohibits licenses plates being in a frame for the same reason mentioned above. In Iowa the County is on the license plate and it was a crime fighting reasoning for the new legislation.

Red light cameras in New Mexico have been ruled unconstitutional and in our city (second largest in the state) they have all been disconnected and the camera portion of the devices covered up.

Quick Reply: Had to do it , front plate