XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Had an Odd thing (gremlin) happen today

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Had an Odd thing (gremlin) happen today

Just figure I'd post this to see if anyone else ran across this one.

My 07 is a daily driver, 6 miles each way.

Today when I left my shop, got in and started the car, well for a few seconds. Then it died so I went to restart an turned over but nothing firing like it wasn't getting gas. Just kept turning over and over so I hit the Start Stop button to Stop it.

Got out and locked the car, went back into the shop for 5 minutes and figured I'd try again. This time I used the FOB to unlock the car as I approached, got in and started right up. A message displayed that the park assistance wasn't available and should consult the dealer, but all else was fine, no lights, codes, etc.

Even though it's a daily driver I have a CTEK MUS 4300 charger that I connect to on the weekends so just unplugged that morning. Put it back on tonight just in case it is the standard battery Gremlin. Not sure of the battery age as the installer never marked the date on the top of the battery and non AGM, standard interstate MP-93 Acid.

Only thing I can figure is the weather changed drastically overnight, I think 20 degrees yesterday and 52 degrees when I left the shop. I know one time after going to the self wash my screen was stuck on the Jaguar logo on the way home and haven't had that happen since.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Just figure I'd post this to see if anyone else ran across this one.

My 07 is a daily driver, 6 miles each way.

Today when I left my shop, got in and started the car, well for a few seconds. Then it died so I went to restart an turned over but nothing firing like it wasn't getting gas. Just kept turning over and over so I hit the Start Stop button to Stop it.

Got out and locked the car, went back into the shop for 5 minutes and figured I'd try again. This time I used the FOB to unlock the car as I approached, got in and started right up. A message displayed that the park assistance wasn't available and should consult the dealer, but all else was fine, no lights, codes, etc.

Even though it's a daily driver I have a CTEK MUS 4300 charger that I connect to on the weekends so just unplugged that morning. Put it back on tonight just in case it is the standard battery Gremlin. Not sure of the battery age as the installer never marked the date on the top of the battery and non AGM, standard interstate MP-93 Acid.

Only thing I can figure is the weather changed drastically overnight, I think 20 degrees yesterday and 52 degrees when I left the shop. I know one time after going to the self wash my screen was stuck on the Jaguar logo on the way home and haven't had that happen since.
IMO don't even worry about it, these pre 09 cars are always having issues with electrics, i just take it as it comes. There just temperamental. It could be anything and anytime, i'm used to it now.

This is a post i put up a few weeks ago it went,
Exclamation Car wouldn't start, then OK!
Before i start the battery is a new agm, and voltage is as normal . Always on cteck charger at night. So ruling this out,
So started car and went to collect my daughter from college. Lights on and wipers as raining. Hour and a half journey, stopped for fuel on the way, no start issues. Collected her, stop and start, no issues, went to her friends, stop start again no issues. Then about half a mile from home stopped again at our local store for some items. Came out, thought i had the car locked but when i pressed the fob to open nothing happened, was able to open the car door, but everything was locked, couldn't open boot, passenger door was able to open but windows wouldn't move so we sat in and left the doors slightly open in case we got locked in. If i pressed the lights button on the fob they worked on and off but nothing else. Inside nothing, pressed button and break, no go. Put the fob into the smart slot and still nothing, then the touch screen gave one flash, jag logo and off. There was no warning or lights flashing. Decided to go home for the spare fob, so left my daughter in the car. The 2 fobs had new battery's fitted on the first of January this year. So when i returned the car alarm was going on and off, was able to turn it off with the fob I've being using, my daughter said alarm went on and the touch screen came on when i was just gone abut 5 minutes. Car started , and everything OK. Came home checked agm battery and over 13 volts. Don't know what happened, have started it a few times since to see will it start. Everything turns on as it should, like touch screen when opening the doors or pressing the fob. Puzzled

Well the car hasn't done it since, i did put the fob in the slot and nothing still didn't happen, it's still a mystery. Who ever designed the electric end of these car should should have supplied trouble shooting charts.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... I had a minor starter problem yesterday. This morning my Sirius signal repeatably updated and then I heard a weird click sound. After that, my outside air temp went to 0 degrees. After I parked my car for about an hour, it started normally. The Sirius radio worked and the outside temp was 60 degrees.

I suspect the problem could be in the wiring connections. As these vehicles get older, the connectors may need to be cleaned or replaced.

Is there a difference in connectors on the 2010+ models?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw your post powerhouse and felt for you but had nothing I could say that would help so didn't post.

Car has started fine since but only thing I could think of that may have caused it was I may have pulled my foot off the brake pedal a little quick after hitting start button.

One lingering problem is the park assist warning still comes up and no sensors in reverse. Other than a little annoying tone with the message after start all is good. I expect one of the sensors may have gone bad. Haven't looked into it yet but will do when I get a chance. Figure I'd do a search and see if anyone else had park assist issues. I know during the winter a sensor would get stuck on from time to time on cold days and that was even more annoying when backing out of the driveway.

And Jagamadryer, I read a post in the forum at 59 degrees the temp would display 0. Do a quick search and I'm sure your fine. Not sure about the Sirius but may have to do with the temp error. Haven't had that one myself yet and not sure about 2010 wiring but I doubt it is any different.

Thanks for the replys