XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heated Steering Wheel/Seats Inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel/Seats Inop

After having the LCD screen go dead on my 08 XK, the dealer claimed they had to reinstall all new software. Now I find that neither the heated steering wheel or seats (both) do not operate. In addition I discovered the rear window defogger is inop. Could that too be a victim of the software update?

Since these are operated via the LCD and switch on the console (for the rear window defog) could the software update (as it's listed on my receipt) be the cause?

I ask because the local Jaguar dealer in St Louis Mo (Moore Jaguar) not only filed for bankruptcy but actually closed. When I called Jaguar Assistance they said they would provide courtesy pick up/delivery to the nearest Jag dealer which is in Peoria (about 5+ hours north).

I'm expecting a call from Jaguar and or the dealer to arrange for them to pick up our XK and would like to go into this conversation armed with some knowledge of how these cars operate and could I be doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Tom,

How about an update? Did you get this fixed? After the software update, does your touchscreen show the icons for the heated steering wheel and heated seats? If so, is the problem that they don't heat up when those icons are pressed?

I'm curious because my car doesn't have a heated steering wheel and thought your experience might shed some light on the matter. Jaguar's 2009 XK brochure shows that a heated steering wheel is included as part of the optional Luxury Package on all XKs and XKRs. I was surprised to learn that the top of the line model - the 2009 XKR Portfolio - didn't come standard with a heated steering wheel, even though it has every other feature in that Luxury Package. Does anyone know why Jaguar didn't include that feature on the Portfolio?

I suspect the wiring harnesses are the same on all XKRs, since it would not make economic sense otherwise. Since it appears that my steering wheel is identical to the ones that are heated, I'm just wondering if the heated steering wheel feature is simply a software activation. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Tom,

How about an update? Did you get this fixed? After the software update, does your touchscreen show the icons for the heated steering wheel and heated seats? If so, is the problem that they don't heat up when those icons are pressed?

I'm curious because my car doesn't have a heated steering wheel and thought your experience might shed some light on the matter. Jaguar's 2009 XK brochure shows that a heated steering wheel is included as part of the optional Luxury Package on all XKs and XKRs. I was surprised to learn that the top of the line model - the 2009 XKR Portfolio - didn't come standard with a heated steering wheel, even though it has every other feature in that Luxury Package. Does anyone know why Jaguar didn't include that feature on the Portfolio?

I suspect the wiring harnesses are the same on all XKRs, since it would not make economic sense otherwise. Since it appears that my steering wheel is identical to the ones that are heated, I'm just wondering if the heated steering wheel feature is simply a software activation. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your replies.
Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but I've been traveling.

First the heated steering wheel/seat icons were displaying on the LCD so that wasn't a problem. It was the fact that as a GM man for 50 years I was used to being able to feel the heated steering wheel/seats within seconds and that they got VERY WARM almost too hot. Our 08 Jag felt like these functions weren't working.

Some additional info. I live in southern Illinois (20 miles SE of St Louis) bought the car back in April from a "high end" dealer near Chicago. I did do some research and found St Louis had a Jaguar dealer (Moore Jaguar) so while service wasn't going to be as easy as say a GM or Ford I was willing to accept the inconvenience because my wife wanted the car. I said HAD as I soon discovered Moore Jaguar had filed for bankruptcy and Jaguar USA pulled the franchise. They were allowed to continue servicing Jaguar's but they couldn't sell new ones. Rumor's were floated that another BIG multi brand dealership in St Louis was interested in securing the brand but so far Jaguar USA has not taken any action. About a month ago I called them to have these and other issues looked at since my factory warranty expires in Nov. The person who answered the phone said Moore Jaguar has closed completely and I should call Jaguar USA for assistance.

I did, I discovered they even had a menu selection for Moore Jaguar customers. I pressed #9 and was immediately connected to a nice lady. She confirmed that Jaguar USA pulled the franchise from Moore and asked how they could assist me. I explained I had several warranty issues and what were Jaguar owners in the St Louis area supposed to do. She asked for my VIN and within minutes informed me that Jaguar of Peoria was the nearest Jaguar dealer and she'd be glad to schedule an appointment. I told her that was nice but that's about 175 miles from my home. She offered that Jaguar USA would pick my car up at my home, take it to them for service and return it upon completion. I agreed. The next available appointment was a week away, so the appointment was made and Jaguar would be at my house at 6:00 am on the following Monday to take my car to them. My car was picked up via flatbed and taken to Peoria. I spoke with the Service Manager prior to my car arriving at their dealership, during it's stay, the day it was completed and again after I took delivery.

So now for the gist of my original thread and results of my long distance service call.

I originally reported I couldn't tell if the heated steering wheel, seats or rear window defogger worked. Pressing the icon's on the LCD and using the rear window defogger to clear the rear window after the car sat outside all night at work didn't show much if any results.

Dealer reported all items were working as designed, they claim both the heated steering wheel/seats (using an infrared temp reading sensor) that they warmed to "77 degrees". They claimed the rear window defogger grid was warming to 80 degrees.

They also checked the software as Moore Jaguar (before they closed) had to re-flash to unlock my LCD screen after it went blank back in April. They report my software was up to date.

I had them change the oil/filter along with the air filter and rear brake pads.

So I was without a car for 4 days, spent $700 on some routine maintenance and if the heated steering wheel/seats/rear defogger are working as designed than I don't understand Jaguars systems. Being British I would have expected these devices to be very "aggressive" due to their natural climate they operate in.

Here's a photo of the car being returned to me
Name:  e283fb8e.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  66.5 KB

So I've decided to start shopping for a CTS-V and will use the Jag as a trade.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and cheers.

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 10-03-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow - sounds like quite the hassle getting your car repaired. With no local dealer I can understand your desire to sell the car. Even if you don't need repairs very often, it's got to be frustrating to have to have your car picked up every time it needs service.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by sandydlc
Wow - sounds like quite the hassle getting your car repaired. With no local dealer I can understand your desire to sell the car. Even if you don't need repairs very often, it's got to be frustrating to have to have your car picked up every time it needs service.
That's one concern, the other is after the long distance dealer visit the features still don't work to my satisfaction/expectations. I mean to claim the steering wheel/seats heat "to 77 degrees" is a joke. Hell body temperature is 96 degrees. Maybe if it's ZERO and I leave the car outside all night. My son's 2002 Dodge Durango seats get very warm within 30 seconds and have to be set to the lowest setting. My wife would use the seat heaters in her 09 SRX after she hurt her back. I mean they get toasty.

I wish there were other late model XK's in my area so I could compare them to mine before my warranty expires.

Tom

Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that's a war story... I have 3 dealers within 45 min of my house - that being said Jag service is not something I have a warm fuzzy about....BUT neither was GMC on a new Yukon, not BMW (once out of warranty) on my 760LI -