XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help buying a 07 Jaguar XK (2 choices)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant doing a nationwide search on Craigslist, (post above) instead of having to search each city, etc.

I assume autotrader and ebay are the two most high traffic online websites with used car listings in the US. If anyone has any other sites to recommend please share. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFan77
I meant doing a nationwide search on Craigslist, (post above) instead of having to search each city, etc.

I assume autotrader and ebay are the two most high traffic online websites with used car listings in the US. If anyone has any other sites to recommend please share. Thanks.
Cars.com: New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com
Dupontregistry.com:A Buyers Gallery of Autos, Homes, Boats | duPont REGISTRY

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 899 Posts

I used to live in Chicago. When I had Jaguars beyond warranty I had them serviced at an indy shop run buy a guy named Warren Preis also known as "Hawk" He is a former service manager from Orloff Jaguar. If I were in the market for a used XK I think I would call him to, at a minimum pick his brain and quite possibly have him inspect any vehicle I was thinking of buying.

Here is a link giving his shop's address and phone number: European & US Car Service - Uptown - Chicago, IL Presuming you reach him, tell him I said hello from Sunny So Cal. Good luck. By the way prices should start going down in the Midwest now that summer is almost over.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll give you another take on the Salvage Title. I built wreck cars during the late 80's through the late 90's. I had no problem with Salvage Title Cars if I knew the extent of the damage. I bought my cars damaged so that I could see what was needed. I always took pics before the repairs to show customers what they were getting. This gave me a good standing with people in my area.

The only things that I'm afraid of now is not knowing how the person repaired the vehicle. And a lot of states don't report wrecks or damage to Carfax and the such. If I like a car that has a Salvage Title, then I inspect it really close to see where the repairs were done and invoices showing repairs. If the seller won't let you have the car inspected move on. It's his loss and not yours. If the vehicle was a flood, move on. Electronic parts for our cars are not cheap.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I think there is an especially strong psychological "pull" with these cars that makes it hard to wait for the right one. It probably taps in to the male sex drive somehow. No, I'm serious. These jag designers really know what they're doing.

But do your research and watch the good ones and the bad ones come and go from the market for a little while. When the right deal comes along you won't have to think twice about it.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I finally called about this posting,
http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/3945697327.html

I called and said hello since we've never spoken, introduced myself and simply asked about the salvage title, and the guy became very defensive and with an angry tone said, "It's salvage title due to water damage but THERES NO WATER DAMAGE!" I was confused as to why he was yelling when all I said up to that point but a simple introduction and that I was calling about the 08 xk that was posted on craigslist.

Thinking ok, maybe he's having a bad day (or is fusterated because he can't unload this) I next ask him if he knows where it came from, he said florida, one owner, and again tells me that there's nothing wrong with it. Ok..

So then I ask him if I can take it to a jag dealership and asked him where the nearest one is, he says there's one in R.I. that is close, and said you're free to inspect it but there's NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, (again with a loud, pissed off voice!) I ask him if anyone has taken it to a jag dealership yet to get it checked out, he replies no. *which then how would he know if it was fine?

So then I simply tell him thanks for the info (still confused at his angry tone throughout when I was being perfectly polite) and he says, THANKS, HAVE A NICE DREAM! and hangs up, lol.

No clue what his problem is, (he's a used car dealer that has various salvage titles on craigslist for sale, I googled his phone number) but his customer service skills are horrific, and anyhow I wouldn't touch a water damaged car anyhow, but thought this was pretty funny. If any of you are bored or would like to grill him 508-736-5305
Not sure if taking it to a Jaguar dealership can actually rule out that the listed water damage was so scant that it's undetectable but if someone wishes to ponder this I figured I might as well post this.

Last edited by JagFan77; 09-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I've noticed that there are a lot of guys like your seller in business for themselves. No well structured business would tolerate their conduct.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I will check/compare tires and shocks to decide with a good title. I updated my front shocks on my 2008 at 35-40k miles and it was much better, in case...probably sure nobody will change shocks under 60k miles....its the kind of maintenance repair i 'd like to see and will be more confident with a car with new shocks than without, same for tires, and a serious savings too.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 09-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFan77
Today I finally called about this posting,
2008 jaguar xk conv 18k miles beautiful

I called and said hello since we've never spoken, introduced myself and simply asked about the salvage title, and the guy became very defensive and with an angry tone said, "It's salvage title due to water damage but THERES NO WATER DAMAGE!" I was confused as to why he was yelling when all I said up to that point but a simple introduction and that I was calling about the 08 xk that was posted on craigslist.

Thinking ok, maybe he's having a bad day (or is fusterated because he can't unload this) I next ask him if he knows where it came from, he said florida, one owner, and again tells me that there's nothing wrong with it. Ok..

So then I ask him if I can take it to a jag dealership and asked him where the nearest one is, he says there's one in R.I. that is close, and said you're free to inspect it but there's NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, (again with a loud, pissed off voice!) I ask him if anyone has taken it to a jag dealership yet to get it checked out, he replies no. *which then how would he know if it was fine?

So then I simply tell him thanks for the info (still confused at his angry tone throughout when I was being perfectly polite) and he says, THANKS, HAVE A NICE DREAM! and hangs up, lol.

No clue what his problem is, (he's a used car dealer that has various salvage titles on craigslist for sale, I googled his phone number) but his customer service skills are horrific, and anyhow I wouldn't touch a water damaged car anyhow, but thought this was pretty funny. If any of you are bored or would like to grill him 508-736-5305
Not sure if taking it to a Jaguar dealership can actually rule out that the listed water damage was so scant that it's undetectable but if someone wishes to ponder this I figured I might as well post this.
I believe this is the car I posted for you? Odd that he has a MA telephone number, his posting lists the car in MA? Does he have a summer house in NH? Anyhow, there are at least 4 dealers in MA as well as a few very good independent Jag repair shops.

Problem with Craigslist are all the jokers you have to deal with. I am selling a set of 22" Range Rover wheels for $950 and I get so many calls from losers... "I'll give you $500 cash" Try buying two tires for this set and that's more the $500... "Were you going to pay me in coupons if it were $950?" I can see the owners frustration from my own experience. Perhaps prefacing your intent when introducing yourself to seller would've changed the tone of your conversation?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have owned 3 XK's both ford and tata. Cheapest thing about them is buying them. Would not buy XK unless you have a lot of money to burn on frustrating repairs and maintenance.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Marmil68
Have owned 3 XK's both ford and tata. Cheapest thing about them is buying them. Would not buy XK unless you have a lot of money to burn on frustrating repairs and maintenance.
What years were your cars?