XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Hey Conti DWS guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Hey Conti DWS guys

So I just passed 10,000 miles on my rear Conti DWS tires and they still look like new. I can still read the DWS in the treads and there doesn't seem like much wear compared to the Dunlops that were on when I got the car. These are on the 20" rims. The fronts were replaced 5,000 miles ago and they are the DWS 06 . As expected they look new and no abnormal wear. I had the 4 wheel alignment done when I replaced the fronts and they dialed it in to the spec. I am running the recommended tire pressures and so far no issues. Also there doesn't seem to be any ride difference whether it be smooth or quiet. So for those who are also running these tires how is your mileage and how is the wear.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I had the Continental DWS tires on an XK8 coupe and an XJR used daily drivers. I thought they were quiet, gave a great ride, and lasted a lot longer than any other tires on those cars. I would recommend them to anyone asking.

I will be needing new tires soon on my XJ. My original intent was to put the Conti's on it when it needs tires. But I have gotten 55,000 miles on the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros and may put them on again, in another 5 to 10 thousand miles.

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (10-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

im running DWS 06 on my XFR. so far so good. one tire is wearing because of my alignment. but the rest are doing well. 9k miles so far. they do a decent job gripping the road considering 500hp and 400 tons of car

Old 08-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Just me asking here because I don't know.... Doesn't DWS mean "Dry, Wet, Snow"? I'd think maybe if I bought Contis next time I'd get the DW version. Do they have one?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Just me asking here because I don't know.... Doesn't DWS mean "Dry, Wet, Snow"? I'd think maybe if I bought Contis next time I'd get the DW version. Do they have one?
The answer is yes and yes. I like the DWS tread design and it is possible that I would get caught in light snow. Although it won't be intentional it could happen. My kid will need tires for the Audi A4 so we will most likely go for the DWS 06 on that. He lives in a little more snow country but not enough for a set of snows.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Yep, Dry/Wet/Snow. I live in SoCal and am running the DWS. I'm not exactly sure if there's a "DW" option for the tires-- I seem to remember having trouble finding a just "DW" version. Thoughts:

+1 on what others say about quiet/comfort.
If there's a drawback to the "snow" part of the equation, I don't notice it.
I have put 10,000 miles on the car in two months. (drove a loop around America). That included two hairy, flooding rain events. Seriously - state emergency warning "pul-the-car-over" events (which wasn't really possible where I was). I put the car in winter mode and it handled like a champ. I was very impressed.
I have 20K miles on them. Fronts good; rears are getting close but still OK.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I have them on my car. Great grip when new. Good choice if you don't like going over a year to replace your tires. Maybe not so much if you want to go over two years.

I'll be replacing mine with less than two years.

The name has changed though, it is now the extreme contact sport. Nearly the same as the DW, but the tread in the shoulder area has changed to make for a stronger handling tire.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

As I remember the tire wear rating was not nearly as good on the DW as compared to the DWS. I was living in So. California at the time and snow was not a concern.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

35K plus and can still read the DWS on rears

Old 08-07-2017, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Last fall I put a set of DWS 06 on the 20" Senta wheels I had purchased and had refinished. As I reported in another thread, I was immediately disappointed with the ride. Way too mushy. Taking a corner at speed, and not really pushing it, it felt like the outside front tire was rolling under the rim, and if I were to push it, I'd be running on the edge of the rim.
This spring I played around with different tire pressures, and settled on +4 psi over the door placard values. That made the tires feel more stable. And I've been running that way for several months.
A couple of weeks ago I became aware of the sound that they make on the pavement, sort of like putting you ear up to a barrel of angry bees. Thought maybe it was due to running at the higher pressure (when I first took the car out this spring, the tires were still over inflated by 15 psi, and they just 'bonged' on every imperfection in the road surface).
Dropped the pressure back down to the door placard values this weekend, returning the mushy feeling, but the bees were still there (maybe the swarm was a bit smaller, but still present).
If I get some time, I'll get the 19" Carelia's back out and try the original Potenza's that came with the car, as I had been happy with their ride, but I don't recall the road sound that they had.
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought them.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Last fall I put a set of DWS 06 on the 20" Senta wheels I had purchased and had refinished. As I reported in another thread, I was immediately disappointed with the ride. Way too mushy. Taking a corner at speed, and not really pushing it, it felt like the outside front tire was rolling under the rim, and if I were to push it, I'd be running on the edge of the rim.
This spring I played around with different tire pressures, and settled on +4 psi over the door placard values. That made the tires feel more stable. And I've been running that way for several months.
A couple of weeks ago I became aware of the sound that they make on the pavement, sort of like putting you ear up to a barrel of angry bees. Thought maybe it was due to running at the higher pressure (when I first took the car out this spring, the tires were still over inflated by 15 psi, and they just 'bonged' on every imperfection in the road surface).
Dropped the pressure back down to the door placard values this weekend, returning the mushy feeling, but the bees were still there (maybe the swarm was a bit smaller, but still present).
If I get some time, I'll get the 19" Carelia's back out and try the original Potenza's that came with the car, as I had been happy with their ride, but I don't recall the road sound that they had.
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought them.
This is where the difference of opinion is subjective. Some of our style of driving determines what type of feel we get from tires. For me where my style of driving is 50-100 mile cruising or a 4 hour road trip I like the mushy ride. I also have not found them to be any concern while cornering on our country roads but I do not stress the car while driving. I'm on 20" Nevis wheels and so far have not heard the bee's. Thanks for your feedback as it will help others in the furture.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
im running DWS 06 on my XFR. so far so good. ... they do a decent job gripping the road considering 500hp and 400 tons of car
Yikes! That's 800,000 lbs! No wonder they do a decent job of gripping the road! What's in your wallet - uh, strike that - trunk?

I have the DWS06 Contis on my XJ and they're great. Quiet, comfortable ride, responsive turn-in, and show little wear after 6K miles. And much less expensive than the OEM Dunlops.

Last edited by Stuart S; 08-07-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

The thing about grip, it's very near inversely-proportional to longevity. Soft, sticky tires wear out faster. Harder, less sticky tires last longer. Have to find that personal preference somewhere in-between.