Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Honest opinions please on XK/XKR purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Honest opinions please on XK/XKR purchase

Hi all,

Signed on to this forum after deciding I really like the last generation XK/XKR. Was originally looking at a Maserati Gran Turismo thinking I could take advantage of the depreciation and get a bucket list car for the price of something more practical but that didnt have much emotional appeal for me (i.e., 911). I'm now gravitating toward a 2012+ XK/R for roughly the same reasons. I don't think there are many cars out there that are better looking.

I'm looking at 3 cars all convertibles right now that I can get for roughly the same price:

1) A white/tan 2012 XK with 10k miles that qualifies for CPO warranty (2yrs/100k)

2) An indigo/tan 2013 XK with 3k miles that has ~months of factory warranty left

3) A gray/truffle 2013 XKR with 10k miles that has no factory warranty left.

#2 is from an individual and the rest are from Jag dealers.

#3 is the most appealing to me in terms of trim level and color combo, but the lack of warranty scares me. I originally thought I could put my mind at ease by just figuring the cost of a third party extended warranty into the price since I'm already taking advantage of so much depreciation. But researching a decent warranty provider is proving discouraging to say the least.

I've always kept cars for a long time and now that I think about it, I've hardly ever taken advantage of any car's factory warranty. Previously had an 01 Boxster that was pretty reliable through 7 years and 100k miles. Currently have an 08 750li with 75k less than trouble free miles. Nothing major, but lots of little gremlins that are annoying to fix to say the least. I'm fine with maintenance being a little more expensive on these vehicles, but what I'm worried about are $10k repair bills like I've seen on some friends' Mercedes.

Everything I've read so far on the last generation XK has been pretty positive, though, so I'd like to get some opinions on self-insuring for repairs. It's about $4k for the warranty, so would only be worth it really if the car proves to be much less reliable than my Porsche which I truly used as a daily driver for 6 years. This XKR will probably see way less miles over the same amount of time.

So what do you guys think? All other things being the same, is it worth getting an XKR with no factory warranty left over a base model with CPO coverage? If yes, can anyone on here suggest a good extended warranty provider? I know most people only post about bad experiences, but it's pretty hard to find anything positive online.

The following users liked this post:
Retrocket (09-06-2020)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

You are mirroring my evolution. I had a 2000 Boxster for 9 years, outside of the intermediate shaft failure causing an engine replacement it was only small stuff. The standard fare, ignition switch, worn horn bushings. Fortunately the IMS was during factory warranty. I kept it with no warranty for 5 years and was happy overall.

My BMW 650 had CPO and then an aftermarket warranty. Like you are aware, the N62 engine in your 750 and my old 650 is an oil leaking monster with potential for a valley pipe failure that can run thousands (although there are some nice aftermarket solutions for $150 now). Not to mention all the other stuff that fails, I had no confidence in the reliability of my Bimmer. It was a great car and I enjoyed it immensely with no regrets.

Personally I always buy with the CPO, but that is partially because of my experience with the 650. After my CPO is over I will still have the Jag and no warranty, I am much more confident in it's reliability. No one has a crystal ball, you could buy the car and have a $2000 repair right from the get-go...or not. By the sampling on this board not many have had that happen. I am one of them that has, I got my car earlier this year and immediately noticed there were issues with my air. They put in a new AC Compressor under CPO, so no cost to me.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Simon Tan:

If you're willing to accept an earlier year, I have my rare (1 of 200) 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible up for sale. The ad speaks for itself. I am open to a reasonable and sensible offer. 18,345 miles, pristine condition, exceptional mechanical condition.

2009 Jaguar XK Portfolio Edition Convertible "Supercharged" | eBay

Thanks.

Last edited by richzak; 11-18-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Welcome from another Planoite. I went through the same exercise in August. My wife has had her eye on the XK for years as a bucket list item so we started looking around. The Maserati GT was also on the list but it turned out to be more than I wanted to spend and from what I found, the repair costs are very high. Research on the XK (here and other internet resources) for ownership and maintenance costs convinced me that the XK was the way to go. We found a 2010 XK coupe in the exact color combo my wife wanted with 33k miles and went for it. I did not buy a extended warranty and I am a little nervous about it but we shall see.... We both love the car and plan to keep it for years to come.

As far as the XKR, I LOVE the look of hood vents and would love to have an extra 125 HP but I wasn't willing to pay extra for it and my wife will never use it. The XK is still a rocket IMO.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My search took about 6 months. I was doing daily searches and also had several dealers on the hook looking for me. After going through my list of what I was looking for it came down to 3 primary priorities. That was it needed to be a 2012 convertible , it had to be low mileage CPO and it had to be either Green , Blue or Red. So I would wait for what you want and pay for what you get.

Simon Tan (11-19-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I purchased an extended warranty from my Jaguar dealer. Purchasing from the Jaguar dealer was important for me as I wanted to make sure to get a warranty that would be accepted at any Jaguar dealer.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My opinion is #3. If you like the color combo you definitely won't regret the R setup. Tampamark said it well - there's no way of knowing if something is going to happen. But I bought a 4 year extended warranty through Jaguar 3 years ago for about $4k and have yet to use it. Enjoy whatever you decide..

Old 11-18-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

To the OP, is there a reason the 2013 XKR doesn't have any warranty? I thought they were 4 years from new.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to go for an XKR
I've only been looking for a week (though pretty intensely), so maybe a little patience will help me get one that ticks off all the boxes: 2012+ R model in the right color and wheel combo (but which one?), under 15k miles, and CPO.

That said, I'm suddenly tempted to include red in my criteria after finding a listing for a'13 in Italian Racing Red with a white/black interior. Really sharp, sporty looking combo. It's now a cointoss for me between this and the Lunar Gray/Truffle one I was looking at. It's amazing how different a character the same car can take on depending on the color combo. The red with the black grill is really racy and eyecatching, while the gray with silver grill is elegant and understated while still having 500 horses

Definitely a fun dilemma to ponder. Almost feel like I'm deciding between a Ferrari or Aston Martin hehe.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I understand your concerns. Personally , low mileage is a priority. Getting a good 3rd party warranty once the factory warranty has expired can be prohibitively expensive. I purchased my 6 year 72,000 mile warranty through Jaguar. It's Easy Care Gold with a $50 deductible. I have not used it for 2 1/2 years but plan on bringing my car in for a coolant smell and loss of coolant which I suspect maybe the notorious water pump. A friend of mine brought his car in (2010 XK) for the a/c leak in passenger side, water pump, and eventually head gasket replacement. All repairs were covered under his extended warranty. Not sure of his company. There are many owners that have no issues. If you budget for them you can go without a warranty but I couldn't go that route with my car. Good luck and look for low miles and check the car out thoroughly including all of its history. It's a great fun car.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-19-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Simon Tan (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to go for an XKR
I've only been looking for a week (though pretty intensely), so maybe a little patience will help me get one that ticks off all the boxes: 2012+ R model in the right color and wheel combo (but which one?), under 15k miles, and CPO.

That said, I'm suddenly tempted to include red in my criteria after finding a listing for a'13 in Italian Racing Red with a white/black interior. Really sharp, sporty looking combo. It's now a cointoss for me between this and the Lunar Gray/Truffle one I was looking at. It's amazing how different a character the same car can take on depending on the color combo. The red with the black grill is really racy and eyecatching, while the gray with silver grill is elegant and understated while still having 500 horses

Definitely a fun dilemma to ponder. Almost feel like I'm deciding between a Ferrari or Aston Martin hehe.
Take your time in the decision process. It is a buyers market and the dealers should be very willing to accept offers on these cars as they don't sell that well unless you're a true Jaguar enthusiast and understand the quality and limited supply of the Jaguar XKR's.

I agree, the proper color combination is so important and color, as you stated; can vastly change the appearance of the XKR.

I am sure that you will find what suits you best, be patient and understand it's your money and make offers, but most important advice, low miles and warranty. If there are future problems these vehicles can be costly to repair.

Best to you, keep us posted.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM

I don't get the sense that I'm going to miss out on any of the cars I'm looking at if I don't pull the trigger right away, so I'm thinking as year end closes in, these dealers will be willing to do some aggressive deals.

Unless something else comes up, I'm really liking these two that I'm linking below and will probably get the one I can get the best deal on. Problem with the one in Illinois is I will have to have it shipped and buy it sight unseen. Any thoughts on what would be fair to offer on each?

Also anyone have any experience with the white seats and trim? They look great new and clean but I'm wondering how hard they'd be to keep that way.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Jaguar-XK-Series-d288?sourceContext=google&showListingId=155840983# listing=155840983

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?inven torySearchWidgetType=MY_LISTINGS#listing=138553252

Old 11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I don't get the sense that I'm going to miss out on any of the cars I'm looking at if I don't pull the trigger right away, so I'm thinking as year end closes in, these dealers will be willing to do some aggressive deals.

Unless something else comes up, I'm really liking these two that I'm linking below and will probably get the one I can get the best deal on. Problem with the one in Illinois is I will have to have it shipped and buy it sight unseen. Any thoughts on what would be fair to offer on each?

Also anyone have any experience with the white seats and trim? They look great new and clean but I'm wondering how hard they'd be to keep that way.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=155840983

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=138553252
Wouldn't advise on buying without actually seeing the car. It's a big investment. Get a cheap plane fare and make a day out of it. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,090 Posts

It's sad neither of those cars have the Adaptive Cruise Control. I absolutely LOVE it.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I had a service experience with the Peoria dealer many years ago when the A/C went out on my 04 XJR during a road trip. The Car was on extended warranty and they couldn't have been nicer or more professional even though I had purchased my car from a Chicago dealer. The car was on a Jaguar extended warranty and it covered the cost of replacing the A/C compressor.

Having said that, If it were me, I would opt for the bronze vehicle having once owned a a convertible with a white interior. It was a royal pain in the a___ to keep clean. Also the dark dashboard doesn't cause as much reflection as a lighter colored one. Furthermore less miles on the bronze convertible. On the other hand if you were to purchase an extended warranty; buy it from Jaguar and you can't go wrong with either one.

Whatever you decide to do; good hunting, have fun, keep us posted and enjoy whatever ride you end up in.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

For your list, I would only consider XKR's. If you buy an XK, you'll feel like you left something on the table. It doesn't sound like money is the limiter for you...

The best decision would be to spring for an XKRS if possible. The bottom end is higher on those and they are just that extra "more special". French Blue,White, or IRR XKRS convertible is going to be a hot commodity for several years to come.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you looked at the jaguar certified web site? IIRC, both of the cars you listed were on that site. I know because I was looking at the red one before I pulled the trigger on a local white CPO 13 XKR with black package.
Good luck, these are beautiful cars.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
To the OP, is there a reason the 2013 XKR doesn't have any warranty? I thought they were 4 years from new.
Many 2013 model year cars were manufactured and sold in late 2012. If the XKR in question was first placed in service (first sold) more than 48 months ago (before November 2012), the factory warranty would already be expired.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Well not white but I've had champagne and ivory. Both a variation of off white. Yes you have to be attentive to keeping them clean, Even denim dye will transfer but clean up has always been easy.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Simon Tan:

If you're willing to accept an earlier year, I have my rare (1 of 200) 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible up for sale. The ad speaks for itself. I am open to a reasonable and sensible offer. 18,345 miles, pristine condition, exceptional mechanical condition.

2009 Jaguar XK Portfolio Edition Convertible "Supercharged" | eBay

Thanks.

the OP should buy this car and enjoy owning a special version of the XKR. alcons and all!!!