XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How to deal with jealous/snarky friends and co-workers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to deal with jealous/snarky friends and co-workers

I'll start this off by saying I'm the last person anyone in the world anyone would be jealous of. I think it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with Jaguar making car that looks like a million bucks!

SO, now that that's out of the way...

How do you guys handle snarky comments and reactions from friends and co-workers about your car? I have been VERY blessed by God to have the luck to own such a beautiful car at a "youngish" age.

I hate when people get a new car and brag about it so I intentionally NEVER mention my car but when it gets brought up, or people see I get:

"Seriously!?" *insert glaring look*
"You have to be f-ing kidding me!" *insert glaring look*
"What would you know about saving money, you own a Jaguar!"
"How in the world could you possibly afford this! How much was it?"

I've intentionally avoided some people just because I don't want to deal with their comments: "An XK is a fat waste of money, I'd get a GT-R", "A Jaguar huh? Could you be any more pretentious?", "How are you liking your overpriced Ford?", "Let me know when you need a ride to the shop".

Is there any way I can curb this? Does everyone else get the same thing?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Talk is cheap and those that know would never say those things.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 3082
Size:  19.3 KB

+1 on Moses comments!

You just have to rise above it with a knowing smile and let them make their silly / jealous / catty remarks.......you win again

Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have the answer, but I have a feeling it's the perceived socio-economic disparity that is making them jealous of you. You have unintentionally trumped their machines, their finances, their everything. This Forum is your safe haven. We are all with you on this. Don't despair, just try running in a different circle like BMW and MB owners. Oh wait, forget that, they're jealous too! Everybody's jealous of the Jaguar.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Just smile, change the subject or just walk away. No need to justify your actions.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Send them the url for the "Girls on Jags" thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL I thought I was the only one to catch all that crap for driving Jaguars..

Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey dude,

A few comments. First, there are two basic ways to deal with jerk-like comments: lower yourself to the level of the jerk with an equally obnoxious put-down, or respond graciously. The first strategy probably engenders hard feelings and perpetuates the mud slinging, while the second is disarming and often ends the sequence. So,

Them: "Let me know when you need a ride to the shop"
You: Oh thanks, I really appreciate the offer, it's always such a pain calling a taxi at the shop, next time I'll call you.

Them: "How are you liking your overpriced Ford?"
You: Loving every minute of it, although I wish it was still a Ford, now they're owned by some Indian company.

Second, apparently you are NOT "the last person anyone in the world anyone would be jealous of." Good for you. Enjoy it.

Third, be thankful that people around you choose to make fun of the top dog - the person with the best car. How much more awful if they piled on the person with the worst car in the lot. Did you see that video of the stalling $1.7 million dollar Aston in Paris? It seems everyone did, especially based on the number people who mentioned it to me. In fact, the other day, when it happened, just begin typing in Google "ast" and the top suggestion on the list is "aston martin stalls in paris"

Why is everyone so interested in this? Because it takes the big guy down a peg. It's so that people can feel, sure I own a $20,000 car, but at least I can drive down the block without stalling. (It would be even more appealing if the car had a manual transmission and the fault was driver error.) Yes it's based on petty jealousy/envy but that's life. People are envious of you, good, you should walk a little taller because of it.

Tony

Last edited by Havebook; 02-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

lol, I now have 3 jags sitting in the driveway. I could only imagine what some people think driving by
"AST" i got a few pages of info for aspartame, and a few other things, but NO Aston Martin info

Last edited by Brutal; 02-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jagdude2012

I've always owned prestige-type cars. Not a rich guy by any means either, just channelled my few spare dollars towards a particular passion. What you ran into by and large is not unique to Jag. First, consider the type of comment. If it's to do with some perceived wealth or snobbism- the person has just identified themselves as a bit of an a-hole. Smile, nod and walk away. Explaining that you bought the car at a reasonable price is wasted breath and will just fuel the fires of the aggressor.

Other comments may be based on some innocent ignorance and without intent to be derogatory- they may remember Jags back in the dark days of the 70s-80s when reliability was not a strong suit and assume that this is still true today. I usually explain that I bought mine 'cause I wanted something more reliable than _______ (fill in the blank with their perceived brand or country of origin that's 'superior') and that I've apparently made a sound decision. This usually puts a stick in their spokes and the conversation either sparks positive interest on their part asking for more details or it goes the other way and they just come back with a different version of a-hole comments. Again, smile, nod and walk away.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

How do you guys handle snarky comments and reactions from friends and co-workers about your car?"
By the time most guys around here get to be my age, they own a number of "toys" (motor cycles, boats, etc). When one of my friends offers a wise-a-- comment about my expensive Jaguar, I simply point out that I don't own any "toys" other then my XK. I will point to the car and say, "There sits my Harley, my bass boat, my RV, my jet ski, AND my golf club membership". Give up a few things, and you too can own a machine like this."

That usually shuts 'em up...

The following users liked this post:
tommyd (02-07-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude;

How about "My motto is Work hard and play harder!".

Like some of the other guys I have been 'lucky' (read as always bought my own cars) enough to have had fun cars since I was old enough to drive....well actually well before I was old enough but that is another story....and have caught flak over the years about it.

A classmate once complained that I always dated the most beautiful women at our college to which I replied "Well you have a choice why not go for the best? The ugly ones are just as much trouble".

Which is true of cars as well.

Over here I had a friend say that "In France only Rich people drive the Mini Cooper S."
I said "Well in the United States only poor people drive them."

My Dad used to say when asked what various sports cars were by the ignorati " I don't know. I just stole it. But it sure is fast".

You could do like the Rockefeller Kids did and say you have a Rich Father.

But my personal favorite right now because it happens to be true is "My Italian Super Model Wife insisted she buy that for me". Isn't it fantastic?"

That's a double whammy and while they are gasping for breath you jauntily saunter off.

Your real friends will be happy for you.

Don't worry about it everywhere in the world people are jealous of people who have the good taste and sophistication to own a Jaguar.

Welcome to the club brother.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-08-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My coworkers are constantly taking jabs about how i dress and my expensive shoes. Just recently a few of them got wind of my XKR and I have been hearing a steady stream of envious name calling like: Mr. $80,000 car, Mr. Hollywood...etc. I quickly remind them that we all make choices and I chose to not be married w/children at 30. They chose otherwise. I chose to take on 2 jobs, they chose to only have one. They chose to get divorced from their spouse, I chose to not be in a position where divorce was an option.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll start this off by saying I'm the last person anyone in the world anyone would be jealous of. I think it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with Jaguar making car that looks like a million bucks!

SO, now that that's out of the way...

How do you guys handle snarky comments and reactions from friends and co-workers about your car? I have been VERY blessed by God to have the luck to own such a beautiful car at a "youngish" age.

I hate when people get a new car and brag about it so I intentionally NEVER mention my car but when it gets brought up, or people see I get:

"Seriously!?" *insert glaring look*
"You have to be f-ing kidding me!" *insert glaring look*
"What would you know about saving money, you own a Jaguar!"
"How in the world could you possibly afford this! How much was it?"

I've intentionally avoided some people just because I don't want to deal with their comments: "An XK is a fat waste of money, I'd get a GT-R", "A Jaguar huh? Could you be any more pretentious?", "How are you liking your overpriced Ford?", "Let me know when you need a ride to the shop".

There are two distinct cases here: Friends and co-workers.
1) Friends: If they talk like that do what you would do with a dud car: Replace. True friends don't speak like that!
2) Co-workers: On the rare occations that I get comments like that my answer is usually "I make my own choises". Uttered in arelaxed way indicating that you neither expect nor seek a response, that tends to quell them once and for all. You don't make any friends that way but ref case no 1).

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just tell them to stop hatin'......................then roll out in your sexy Jag!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the reassuring words. I felt good to just get it out there. I feel even more humbled now. Funny how some people can make you feel guilty for the fruits of your hard work...

With that said, anyone have any good snarky comments/comebacks to share?

I've noticed when I offer to drive at lunch some people all of a sudden "have work to do" and others "disappear" and all of a sudden show up at the restaurant in their own cars.

It really lets you know who your true friends are because you can tell they are genuinely happy for you.

The following users liked this post:
MissMaesJag1968 (07-19-2015)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, Haters Gonna Hate.

My teacher told me I was a piece of sh*t, seen her the other day, driving a piece of sh*t.
- Rick Ross

Don't sweat the jealous coworkers, and as another member said-never talk trash back, just kill them with kindness.

btw, Congrats on buying an awesome car, I wish I could have one, Im jealous! LOL.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

I've noticed when I offer to drive at lunch some people all of a sudden "have work to do" and others "disappear"
Well, I guess this means you do not have an XK, since suggesting that co-workers ride in the back seat would not be good.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Per
There are two distinct cases here: Friends and co-workers.
1) Friends: If they talk like that do what you would do with a dud car: Replace. True friends don't speak like that!
2) Co-workers: On the rare occations that I get comments like that my answer is usually "I make my own choises". Uttered in arelaxed way indicating that you neither expect nor seek a response, that tends to quell them once and for all. You don't make any friends that way but ref case no 1).
Agree with Per on #1 - if it is an issue...they aren't real friends.

Fortunately, I don't get any snarky comments from either friends or co-workers. But when I do get the occasional "nice car" my typical response is 'it gets me from point A to B'. Just try to downplay the car and avoid making it the topic of conversation. Life is too short to worry what people think of you. I always feel sorry for those people that waste their time envying other people etc. Such a waste...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really lets you know who your true friends are because you can tell they are genuinely happy for you.
I think you've answered your own question

The alternative would be to see if you could get hold of an item supplied with most of the 'old' Jaguars, not sure if it's available any more, but it was called a "Item, x1, Stiff Upper Lip".
May only have been available in the UK though

Quick Reply: How to deal with jealous/snarky friends and co-workers