Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you move on from an XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Quite an advanced looking car for its time...the problem with the 760 was the engine, it was just one problem after another. My mechanic told me that it had mechanical injection and it was very difficult to work on with one of the cylinders upside down. I was just starting out and ended up spending a fortune (comparatively speaking) keeping it on the road.

I swore off volvos after that, but then went back to them about 6 years later and really didnt have a problem. But then going to Jag, you realise how much fun driving can be.
The 740 is an inline 4 with electronic FI and ignition system. biggest repairs were multiple exhausts systems. It sounds like a diesel and runs like a clock. Dam car won't even rust. I'm gonna have to burry her in it.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

just get a newer XKR

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (02-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Audi R8

Old 07-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Audi R8
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!
No, we're being serious here.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Bentley GT then ! is that better haha

Cee Jay (07-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:30 AM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tatty
So I've had my 2011 XKR a few month now and I love it! Anyway I took my mate out in it and as much as he liked it too he told me that when it's time for a new car, what could I possibly get in my price range with the looks, power and noise of the XKR and it's got me totally stumped! XKR production is now stopped, Vantage is too small and slow, DB9 is also lacking in power, F-Type is too small, 911 is too boring as is everything else that's German. The only car I can think of would be a Maserati Gran Turismo that comes close to the XKR! Not that I'm looking to change anytime soon. Anyone else think that Jaguar have made a mistake by not making another GT car? In my opinion the choice is small at the minute and Jag have showed for years how much of a good job at making them they can do!
Don't get no slow Maserati.Them things can't even beat the weaker "i"version BMW's,so therefore they not even a match for the "M"Version BMW's.Then on top of all that,I heard Maserati's have SERIOUS Engine problems.That's a **** TON WORST than electrical problems Jaguars got famous for having.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tatty
It's bloody expensive enough owning one never mind having a few! I've always wondered the average age of XKR owners, I'm only 32. I'm not quite in the position to have a few cars yet 😂 I struggle keeping this one on the road as it is! I thought the novelty would've worn off this by now and I'd stop going for random drives every day but no, it's too much fun and it's costing a fortune in petrol!
lmao i be doing the same thing going for random drives cause the XKR is so much fun to drive

Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I thought the same. It was actually being offered a good deal on a barely used DB9 that got me thinking about what I wanted.

The DB9 is pretty much just a next level XKR. The tech was so ancient I knew it would drive me mad. Vantage the same. The Maserati is very expensive and in my view it isnt a pretty car. It has some nice things about it, for sure, but as a whole it is odd looking. I cant really be bothered with Benz or Bimmer, too common. The R8 isnt my cuppa (I like the front engine shape).

In the end I stuck with Jag and got a f Type which was cheap in comparison to anything else I liked. It isnt as practical as the XKR (it is harder to get in and out of, the hatch space isnt quite as big and it has no back seat) though it is fairly practical and I think I would have been inconvenienced by that maybe once in a year and a half. Now that I've got some miles on it, I think that the ride on 19's is pretty comparable to the XKR on 20's.

The transmission is better (but if I had my time over I'd have bought the manual), steering is better, the supercharged 6 is as quick as I could ever get my XKR anyway, and it handles far better. I prefer the shouty louty exhaust of the f type, and because you sit further back it is far more in your ears. But I prefer the engine note of the 4.2 XKR. The stereo is enormously better in the f type, though the earlier models had their issues.

Looks are subjective, I have to say I prefer the f type when I see them on the road, but the XK is a striking car, especially the ones with LEDs.

So I'd say that the only real negative to the f type is getting in and out, and that is more for my wife and daughter than me. It isnt a car that is everything the XK is but better, but it is an awesome car and I love it. The XK does spoil you, though.
nah I had the chance to buy an F-Type and even tho it's better in technology,also the front end and the headlights are ugly and the only thing going for the F-Type is the rear end looks that looks better than the XK.Other than that, the XKR looks better,the transmission is faster when it's only a 6-speed and not an 8-speed like the F-Type.The XK have more room you can put stuff in even tho the back seats are useless but atleast i have enough room to put all my Army gear since im in the military(Us soldiers are issued a LOT of that and sometimes we have carry it with us to work back&forth from home)The convertible top of the XK use the same technology of exotic/super cars where the top folds up and the trunk raises so the top can go down in it when you hold down the convertible button(The F-Type convertible tops folds like a cheap common camaro or mustang and i believe that makes the Value of the newer F-Types depreciate more than XK's do)Long story short,The F-Type lose against the XK and the only thing going for them is cause Jaguar chose not to discontinue them yet and keeping them in production for some strange lame reason

Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
nah I had the chance to buy an F-Type and even tho it's better in technology,also the front end and the headlights are ugly and the only thing going for the F-Type is the rear end looks that looks better than the XK.Other than that, the XKR looks better,the transmission is faster when it's only a 6-speed and not an 8-speed like the F-Type.
When the F Type came out, perspective buyers went to Jaguar dealers to look at them and it was actually an uptick in XK sales. XK was already on the way out, but for a year or so they were both being sold.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I made my choice and decided to go with a new Corvette convertible. I'll just wait and see if I made the right decision but won't get the car until around May/June time frame. I liked my XKR for it's style and extra space as well as it's ride. I didn't expect to go back to a 2 seat car but due to life's changes the introduction of a wedge shaped sports car drove my decision. It will be interesting so we will see.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

V12 Vanquish

Old 02-20-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I made my choice and decided to go with a new Corvette convertible. I'll just wait and see if I made the right decision but won't get the car until around May/June time frame. I liked my XKR for it's style and extra space as well as it's ride. I didn't expect to go back to a 2 seat car but due to life's changes the introduction of a wedge shaped sports car drove my decision. It will be interesting so we will see.
Those new Corvettes also have the same convertible style that all exotic cars use and got all new technology and then some.Atleast it's doing more than the F-Type as bad as i hate sounding like im talking crud about Jaguar,but the F-Type should've been a 4 seater and had the same design as an XK in the front with it's new rear end look

Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

I can’t think of a ‘replacement’... just the many more cars that I need. The lot of you have me thinking about snatching up a ‘12+ xkr. But I prefer the traditional look of wood/ tan leather/ green exterior. And sourcing that is a problem.

The MB is a hell of a driving car. But the looks are too boring for me. R8 is also a lot of fun. But if Audi can do anything well it’s having a previous design look so dated in such a short time.
Nope. Jaguar got it right with the x150. (And the x351, while I’m at it)

but if I do need to replace, those looks of a Maserati, blue, and that traditional leather colour. Wow.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
When the F Type came out, perspective buyers went to Jaguar dealers to look at them and it was actually an uptick in XK sales. XK was already on the way out, but for a year or so they were both being sold.
That alone should've put the XK back into production with all new revised technology like they did with the ugly XF, but with a new body style to make them look like F-Types in the rear end.That would've been so AWESOME

Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Nobody is excited about the Dodge Challenger Hellcat with its 717hp?

Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Jomiltom
Nobody is excited about the Dodge Challenger Hellcat with its 717hp?
You have to think about the 98% of the other time when you are not drag racing- what kind of a car is it then- just a Dodge.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
That alone should've put the XK back into production with all new revised technology like they did with the ugly XF, but with a new body style to make them look like F-Types in the rear end.That would've been so AWESOME
I think the XK was done a lot earlier in JLR's eyes. They had an initial advertising campaign when it came out and then seem to go flat after that. They did a last hoorah with the XKRS, but it wasn't a line that Jaguar did much to promote. Shame since it was their best looking car since the since the X150 XJ and in my opinion are the two best Jaguar lines in 20 years. Ford on their way out of JLR and Tata taking over... XK came out at the wrong time for being what it could've been which is already a great car. They should've been able to have got 10 years out the model, but didn't.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Barry Leftwich (02-20-2020), guy (03-05-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You have to think about the 98% of the other time when you are not drag racing- what kind of a car is it then- just a Dodge.
A Dodge Challenger is really a very good car, it has very high quality interior finishes and to drive it every day is more comfortable than many of those who have been named here.
It is practical to get on and off, has 5 real seats and a good trunk for its occupants and do not forget its benefits with its 717cv

Queen and Country (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Not a car I want to be too hot into a corner with. Friend had a Challenger SRT and it was not that inspiring but the straight line grunt. Shelby GT350 would more of the American muscle car I'd go for. Brilliant drive train, shifting, suspension, brakes... Too easy to drive like a maniac with its Honda Civic like clutch. For a skilled driver.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Queen and Country (02-20-2020), Sean W (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

New GT500

The following 2 users liked this post by Mufc:
Barry Leftwich (02-20-2020), Sean W (02-20-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you move on from an XKR?