XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you use your key fob

Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Stuart with my 2012 I can lower and raise the rear windows only when the top is up.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

JT - Do you have Steve's remote top controller with the rear window controller add on? If so, follow Stuart's instructions and your rear windows will work independently. If you don't, buy and install one with the rear window controller add on. It is perhaps the best accessory you can get for your XK.

Living on SoCal I often lower the top when I'm on the way to the car to disperse the built up heat, particularly in the summer. Holding the key fob to my forehead I can control the top form 50-60 feet away from the car.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carealtor
I'm like you. I NEVER use the buttons on my fob. It's in my pocket, but that's it.
You're saying it has buttons? Ahhh, so it does!

Old 03-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Is holding unlock to lower windows a vert thing? Tried it on my coupe and nothing...
Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Mine do, but missed opportunity; they don't go back UP by holding LOCK.
Both windows on my coupé open when holding unlock, regardless of whether the doors were already unlocked or not. Likewise, both close when holding locking button OR the button on the door handle. I think either closing or opening can even be interrupted by releasing the button, so that it doesn't close or open fully.

On the X-Type, disconnecting the battery necessitating re-learning the one-touch open/close function on each window, perhaps your car needs to have something like that done for the closing to work?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

It is user configurable on my '10 XKR.

You have to go down to the third screen in the Security menu to find it.

Attached Thumbnails How do you use your key fob-windows.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
It is user configurable on my '10 XKR.

You have to go down to the third screen in the Security menu to find it.
right were you said it would be... I was able to turn on the unlock window down feature but the lock window up feature goes back to off about a second after turning it on...

Old 04-02-2018, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member

Does your one touch up work when you use the window buttons on the door?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Does your one touch up work when you use the window buttons on the door?
Yes one touch with window switch works for both up and down...

Got the following from another thread
Update 2 - My S/A advised me that they are not allowed to enable the Global Close feature in the U.S. for liability reasons.

They offered the example of a child in the car getting their hand crushed by the window activated from outside the vehicle. I remarked that as far as I was aware all new cars had pressure sensing windows that would cease operation if an obstacle obstructs the window closing. I was told that the pressure sensor only works when using the window switch in the door, which I don't think is true. Even so, I would imagine that the pressure sensing feature could be enabled for operation outside the vehicle thereby absolving Jaguar of any liability.

Regardless, we have our answer, and the dealerships will not activate the feature for U.S. cars unfortunately.

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 04-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
u102768 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Just as an update, my dealer was able to use SDD and go into the Car Configuration File (CCF) and turn on Global Window Close feature, so if you have a dealer or Indy with SDD this can be turned on easily on USA cars with a willing technician...

Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!! Certainly not Ken Garff Jaguar. Those idiots can't figure out how to scratch their own butts.
ANYWAY, the day AFTER I bought a new Smart Key I found my 'LOST' smart key. It didn't work so I changed the battery. STILL no workie! I sort of think that the guys at Ken Garff either needed ALL the keys I wanted to program stuff, or they took it upon themselves to remove the old one.
An expensive temporary lost key cost me $510 and a LOT of aggravation.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

I have to ask as this issue is driving me up the dam wall. My keyfob will not work no matter what. New batteries, new case, old case, old battery (that did work before). My question is why does nobody know how to program our own remotes or is it a special device that a jag dealer has to do this? With all the technology we can buy and secret ways to program other jags and makes of cars why is ours (the XK) impossible unless bringing it to a dealer? Im frustrated with it to the point I will probably just manual unlock and lock my car. I figured out last night that my issue of my stereo and all the electronics not turning off in the car has to do with locking my car. If I do NOT lock my car (with remote or manually) then my electronics in the car will stay on for HOURS. If I lock the car they stay on for a short time and then shut down. Happy to at least figure out that weird issue. But the remote issue is frustrating. I might look into getting an alarm with keyless entry??

Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

eeeeehhhhhh, I don't think you want to start adding other weird electronics and have stuff work.
Yeah, Jaguar dealers need their SDD program to do nearly everything, and even then there is some stuff "Locked Out", like turning on the frikkin camera!!!
Yes again, you need SDD to program the keys.
Also, don't go buy an eBay or Amazon Smart Key, it probably will never work unless it was Unmarried from the original car. Hey! Maybe MY old 'lost' key was unmarried.
Regardless, Jag sells keys for about $385 and another $125 to program.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

This has me thinking. Nothing has changed in the car with my wiring except I extended 4 wires plus an extended fiber optic cable. Now I have owned my car for 1 year and am on the third battery. If my car sits for more than a week without starting it my battery is dead, usually. This issue I am having with my electronics not turning off is only noticed because my new stereo (that is running off the power and ground from the original head unit) stays on, the screen literally stays on until I lock the doors. What I am wondering is in the past I would park my car in the garage without locking it and my car would be dead a few days to a week later. A few times even my jaguar logo on my screen was stuck on (this is with a new battery). I bet you this entire time my electronics in my car have been staying on when NOT locking the door. As far as my remote I will do what I can to figure this out because the remote should not have deprogrammed itself, there must be something im missing with getting it working again.

Anyways it would be interesting if others would not lock their cars and somehow test their power to the stereo head unit an hour after with a multimeter, and see if this happens to them. Maybe this is the battery killer for those of us that dont lock it (although im sure most do).

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
eeeeehhhhhh, I don't think you want to start adding other weird electronics and have stuff work.
Yeah, Jaguar dealers need their SDD program to do nearly everything, and even then there is some stuff "Locked Out", like turning on the frikkin camera!!!
Yes again, you need SDD to program the keys.
Also, don't go buy an eBay or Amazon Smart Key, it probably will never work unless it was Unmarried from the original car. Hey! Maybe MY old 'lost' key was unmarried.
Regardless, Jag sells keys for about $385 and another $125 to program.

Last edited by Ridicrick; 04-05-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ridicrick
This has me thinking. Nothing has changed in the car with my wiring except I extended 4 wires plus an extended fiber optic cable. Now I have owned my car for 1 year and am on the third battery. If my car sits for more than a week without starting it my battery is dead, usually. This issue I am having with my electronics not turning off is only noticed because my new stereo (that is running off the power and ground from the original head unit) stays on, the screen literally stays on until I lock the doors. What I am wondering is in the past I would park my car in the garage without locking it and my car would be dead a few days to a week later. A few times even my jaguar logo on my screen was stuck on (this is with a new battery). I bet you this entire time my electronics in my car have been staying on when NOT locking the door. As far as my remote I will do what I can to figure this out because the remote should not have deprogrammed itself, there must be something im missing with getting it working again.

Anyways it would be interesting if others would not lock their cars and somehow test their power to the stereo head unit an hour after with a multimeter, and see if this happens to them. Maybe this is the battery killer for those of us that dont lock it (although im sure most do).
Yeah I'm pretty sure that its been discussed a few times that in order to put the car into sleep mode you must lock the doors before walking away... If I dont the R logo stays on screen in my car for a very long time..

Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

If you don't lock the car everything should shut down after around 30 minutes. My 4.2 litre XKR was very rarely locked over night because it was kept in a locked garage.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

You guys' cars are weird. I just this minute checked mine;

Car running, stereo on, lights off, me inside, doors closed......
I shut the car off: the Nav screen shut off, stereo shut off, dash shut off.
I opened the door and got out, closed the door and did NOT lock........
Nav screen still off, dome light on, dash lights off EXCEPT the Gear Selection Numbers, START button doing the Heartbeat flashing.
Twenty seconds later, the parking lights all flashed one time, then everything shut down. No lights, no sounds.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

If your parking lights flash then it sounds like you may have passive arming enabled:

Passive arming
This vehicle is fitted with a passive arming
feature which can, if enabled, automatically
arm the anti-theft system. Passive arming will
automatically arm the alarm system 60
seconds after the driver’s door is closed,
provided the passenger door, bonnet and
luggage compartment are closed, the ignition
is switched off and there are no valid Jaguar
Smart Keys inside the vehicle.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, but everything still turns off Touchscreen-wise, along with stereo right when ignition is turned off.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

That is what should happen. I assume when TexasTraveler is talking about the R logo staying on his screen he is talking about if he opens the car door after it has gone to sleep at which point everything wakes up, including the touch screen. In that situation it will stay on for a quite a few minutes if you don't start the car or lock the door.

The only time I have seen the logo stay on the touch screen after shutdown is when it has hung due to the usual low battery gremlins.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Because these various features appear to be shut down doesn't mean they are not running in the background. I believe the OM states somewhere that it takes a fairly significant time for all of the features to shut down and even with that there are minor features running in the background until you open the door again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you use your key fob