XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you use your key fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
That is what should happen. I assume when TexasTraveler is talking about the R logo staying on his screen he is talking about if he opens the car door after it has gone to sleep at which point everything wakes up, including the touch screen. In that situation it will stay on for a quite a few minutes if you don't start the car or lock the door.

The only time I have seen the logo stay on the touch screen after shutdown is when it has hung due to the usual low battery gremlins.
Correct

Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

So I wired in my radar detector to the +12 and ground coming from the back of the factory head unit just to test this out, I have disconnected my aftermarket stereo (which was also just using that +12 and ground.

My radar detector was still on and running after shutting the car off but not locking the door. Its was over an hour and still going, so there is still a +12 running constantly. When I locked my doors my radar detector shut down shortly after. So then the +12 no longer was active according to my multi meter. So maybe my 2007 XK has an issue from factory with not shutting down when not locked... IDK.. This is no big deal to me once I get that dam remote working again as I will always lock my door. Funny thing is when you unlock the doors the +12 doesnt come back on... but when you OPEN the door the +12 shows power on the multi meter. Its all a train wreck to me how Jaguar wired this all up.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

I got some news! My keyfob now works. How did I fix it? Simple, a friend that works at a chevy dealer just told me he had the same issue and fixed it by purchasing energizer brand batteries... I laughed at him and said thats stupid. I used a generic pack from harbor freight since I was there and my remote didnt work with those new batteries. I then bought a 2 pack of Sony batteries because I was shopping on amazon and seen they were 2032 and a good deal. Bought them and they didnt work. So today I went out and bought Energizer... and holy $hit my remote works.. lol.. wth.. I put my multimeter on the sony and the energizer and they are reading the exact same!! I want to put the sony back in just to confirm but I am way to scared to have my remote not work again. So I called my buddy at the chevy dealership and thanked him. He said I told ya.. strange huh.. lol..

Just thought I would share my story and I have no clue on why it mattered on the brand but it does for my picky remote. Maybe energizer has a slight different shape to it that makes contact I dont know. I am going to the garage and use my remote over and over just because Im so happy right now.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

If you have a micrometer, measure the thickness of both batteries. I'll bet that the Energizer is a bit thicker than the Sony and that's why it makes better contact with the prongs. You probably can get the Sony to work if you gently pry those prongs up a bit, or place some aluminum foil between the prongs and that battery.

I thought my old remote for my garage door needed a new battery, but it checked out OK with my voltmeter. A small piece of foil did the trick, and it now works like new.