Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How's your tips and pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default How's your tips and pigtail

I've just got 7200 miles on the car and notice the tips getting some bluing on them. I am in the habit of wiping them down after parking the car at night but I assume they will darken with higher mileage. How are others keeping them clean and do you do anything different in cleaning them.

Also as you can see below I have the smart charger pigtail sticking out the back and I am concerned it will eventually cause wear marks in the paint. I am looking at alternate methods on bringing the wire out under the car in the rear. Anyone else done this differently.

Attached Thumbnails How's your tips and pigtail-dsc00100.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I've just got 7200 miles on the car and notice the tips getting some bluing on them. I am in the habit of wiping them down after parking the car at night but I assume they will darken with higher mileage. How are others keeping them clean and do you do anything different in cleaning them.

Also as you can see below I have the smart charger pigtail sticking out the back and I am concerned it will eventually cause wear marks in the paint. I am looking at alternate methods on bringing the wire out under the car in the rear. Anyone else done this differently.
I have had my pigtail from the CTEK out of the trunk like yours and have not had any issues with the paint during the last year.

I agree it would be a great idea to have the pigtail come out elsewhere other than the trunk, as I get concerned about opening and closing it. I hooked up my new ELM327 Scanner tool and see since the last reset of data, the car has been started 115 times, and that was 2300 miles ago. So open and closing had to be about 220+ times. No problems reported, just would rather connect the extension without having to open and close the trunk lid.

Exhaust tips after 15,500 miles look great on the Jaguar. More frustration with the Porsche tip after 2000 miles, I can see some blue and dark edges.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Jagtoes:

Today I looked for a way to eliminate the pigtail from my CTEK 3300 Smartcharger from hanging out thru the trunk. I was concerned about constant opening and closing the trunk, because when not driven my CTEK 3300 is always hooked up to the battery and charging. I have never had an electrical issue of any kind because I keep the CTEK on all the time. IT is just a simple plug and play connection.

I removed the spare wheel, and found that on inside of the spare wheel well, dead center, was a rubber grommet that very easy to remove. After removing the grommet, the hole provides access to the underside of the rear bumper. The ran my pigtail thru the trunk hole, and replaced the rubber grommet. Below the bumper I have a small rear type grill. I drilled a 1/4" - 3/8" hole in that grill and ran my pigtail wires thru the drilled hole, exposing the connector to the underside below the bumper and on top of the rear grill. I am not sure if your if 2012 has the lower rear grill.

I did have to cut the pigtail cord and re-splice it with quality electrical connectors. Tomorrow, I will secure the end connector so I may just plug in or unplug. I will add an additional rubber grommet to go into the drill hole. Rubber grommets at our local hardware store are .47 cents.

Now there is no concerns about the cord sticking out of the trunk, rubbing on paint (which you mentioned) and no constant opening and closing the trunk lid.

I wish I would have done this last year when I got the car. Your post here made me look and seek an alternative to a pigtail sticking out of the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails How's your tips and pigtail-jaguar-ctek-cord-thru-trunk-grommet-hole-001.jpg   How's your tips and pigtail-jaguar-ctek-cord-thru-trunk-grommet-hole-004.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 06-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagtoes (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Jagtoes:

Today I looked for a way to eliminate the pigtail from my CTEK 3300 Smartcharger from hanging out thru the trunk. I was concerned about constant opening and closing the trunk, because when not driven my CTEK 3300 is always hooked up to the battery and charging. I have never had an electrical issue of any kind because I keep the CTEK on all the time. IT is just a simple plug and play connection.

I removed the spare wheel, and found that on inside of the spare wheel well, dead center, was a rubber grommet that very easy to remove. After removing the grommet, the hole provides access to the underside of the rear bumper. The ran my pigtail thru the trunk hole, and replaced the rubber grommet. Below the bumper I have a small rear type grill. I drilled a 1/4" - 3/8" hole in that grill and ran my pigtail wires thru the drilled hole, exposing the connector to the underside below the bumper and on top of the rear grill. I am not sure if your if 2012 has the lower rear grill.

I did have to cut the pigtail cord and re-splice it with quality electrical connectors. Tomorrow, I will secure the end connector so I may just plug in or unplug. I will add an additional rubber grommet to go into the drill hole. Rubber grommets at our local hardware store are .47 cents.

Now there is no concerns about the cord sticking out of the trunk, rubbing on paint (which you mentioned) and no constant opening and closing the trunk lid.

I wish I would have done this last year when I got the car. Your post here made me look and seek an alternative to a pigtail sticking out of the trunk.
Good idea and nice hook up. Unfortunately the 2012 does not have a grill there only a solid panel. I didn't look into the boot yet to see if there is a grommet but I suspect there should be one. .thanks