XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I removed fuse 14 & I like it! For those looking to improve handling...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default I removed fuse 14 & I like it! For those looking to improve handling...

I keep meaning to post this, but a few weeks ago I decided to remove fuse 14 and what an improvement it makes!

Ride is a LOT more firm and responsive. It also says a lot for how well CATS smooths out road imperfections and irregularities.

I can't see ever going back though.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jahummer,

is that just forcing dynamic mode to always be on?

if not any idea why its helping? thinking i might try it in mine..

also i`m guessing your talking about your 2008 ?

thanks
Tomspitfire

Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The 2008 doesn't have Dynamic mode, which is why he has to pull Fuse 14 to get a (kinda) similar effect. The active dampers in the 4.2 only have 2 settings; the 5.0 has continuously variable ones, allowing much finer control.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 AM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Pulling a fuse forces a dampers to go in a "firm" setting. If you are driving on a bad road it may cause a phisical damage to suspension.
As for me - i'm planning to install a switchpack to control a suspension and exhaust fuses. Pretty easy to do it and i'll be able to change the behavior at any time.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

There's a thread about fitting this remote-controlled relay:

Corvette C6 Mild to Wild Exhaust On Demand Switch

Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yup, this is a great way to improve the car. It makes it much less floaty and more responsive. However, I plugged mine back in because I was afraid of what the long term impacts would be on the struts.

I would love for somebody to come up with specific switches to make a "dynamic" mode for the 4.2s. That would be awesome.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

I personally find the CATS on my 4.2 works well - when I'm just wafting about I like the floaty, magic-carpet ride quality. When I start pushing the car around a bit it seems to react quickly and firm up well.

I guess here in the UK the softer ride is quite welcome on our lousy road surfaces...

Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
If you are driving on a bad road it may cause a phisical damage to suspension.
I think this is true whether CATS is on or off. If the road is bad enough you may even damage your rims. Dynamic mode does not come with a "warning when engaged physical damage to the suspension may occur".

Unless there is something else I am missing.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Dynamic Mode is not an on/off thing from a damping point of view - because the 5.0 dampers are continuously variable, all Dynamic mode does is 'slide' the damping to a different level. With CATS, it's either off (hard) or on (soft).

That being said, I don't think you're likely to damage your suspension turning CATS off.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Guys, speaking of this... I have a hard time noticing the difference in ride when I press race. Does it get smoother or more harsh to handle better? On my S600 the difference is like between a cloud and then becomes like my XKR - so its very noticeable.

What am I looking for when pressing it?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
I have a hard time noticing the difference in ride when I press race.
Errr, 'race' ???

If you mean Dynamic Mode (the chequered flag button), then there isn't an "instant" change. According to the workshop manual:

Each driving mode uses a combination of operating parameters for each sub-system. Changing between driving modes initiates a different set of operating characteristics, which will be noticeable to the driver. The driver will notice differences in engine response when, for example, the accelerator pedal is held in a constant position and the driving mode is changed from winter to dynamic, the driver will notice the torque and engine speed increase. Similarly, if the mode is changed from normal or dynamic to winter, the driver will notice a reduction in torque and engine speed.
NOTE: The change in torque and engine speed can take approximately 30 seconds and care must be taken not to confuse the JaguarDrive control system operation with an EMS fault.
(my emphasis). While that's talking about the engine, I expect the same is true for the suspension - it 'eases' into the new configuration, so that the driver has time to adjust. And, as in normal operation, it's an adaptive, learning system - it won't change all of the working settings until you actually start to throw the car about. So, when you press the button, you may notice a small difference - but you'll notice a lot more when you start accelerating, braking & cornering hard.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
I think this is true whether CATS is on or off. If the road is bad enough you may even damage your rims. Dynamic mode does not come with a "warning when engaged physical damage to the suspension may occur".

Unless there is something else I am missing.
If the CATS is off - there's much more risk of damage.
Actually, if you are turned on a dynamic mode the suspension becomes stiffer. BUT it the control units registers too much bumps from a road it will soften a suspension.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Resurrecting this thread.

I have a 2011 xkr, so 5.0sc with ediff
Fuse 14 will disable both CATS and the ediff system which is unique to the 5.0s.
So I get an ediff fault.

I believe ediff fault will cause ediff motor not to separate lsd plates at low speeds, so I'm curious if I'll cause any extra tire scrub, or lsd plate wear. Or does it lock instead, so motor makes lsd engage?

Asked another way, does an ediff fault make the ediff act like a normal lsd, or an open diff?

Follow on question here, if I want to disable CATS, and keep ediff operational, what alternative do I have?
Can I remove a connector to one strut, and disable them all?

Thanks!

Last edited by andrezbim; 07-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

How do you disable CATS. I did not realize there was anything electronic to them.
So whats the net effect.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Just to be clear: Cats = Computer active technology suspension
Not cats=catalytic converters

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by andrezbim
Just to be clear: Cats = Computer active technology suspension
Not cats=catalytic converters
What benefit do you think you will get by pulling the fuse. The e-diff will default to an open rear and the suspension will default to a harsh ride. Seems counter intuitive to the advantage of the CATS system.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
What benefit do you think you will get by pulling the fuse. The e-diff will default to an open rear and the suspension will default to a harsh ride. Seems counter intuitive to the advantage of the CATS system.

The goal is cats disable without e-diff disable. To accomplish this, much like the purpose of this thread, is additional ride stiffness and for me exhilaration.
I think "harsh" is a bit harsh, but as it turned out I like the ride this way better.

So I in fact replaced fuse 14, which I would now also NOT recommend for 5.0sc with e-diff, and just removed one of the cats connection to upper drivers shock. This disables cats without e-diff fault.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by andrezbim:
jahummer (07-26-2017), Mr_Nico (08-04-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

additional ride stiffness and for me exhilaration.
Mae West said something equally passionate "A hard man is good to find"

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The goal is cats disable without e-diff disable. To accomplish this, much like the purpose of this thread, is additional ride stiffness and for me exhilaration.
I think "harsh" is a bit harsh, but as it turned out I like the ride this way better.

So I in fact replaced fuse 14, which I would now also NOT recommend for 5.0sc with e-diff, and just removed one of the cats connection to upper drivers shock. This disables cats without e-diff fault.

Cheers!

do you only have to remove one connection to acheive this? I hit some standing water a while back and got an error about dynamic mode... after the initial panic and reading online its a very common thing with rare but harsh rain spells and standing water, anyway while in this mode apparently it puts the suspension onto its firmest setting and I loved it!... ideally I'd like to be able to engage this for sporty use but not loose the lsd like you mentioned and also not loose the option to maintain normal dynamic mode.. for anyone finding this in the future (worrying about the dynamic error) the error reset once the relevant sensor had dried out... its never occurred again

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have also disconnected the fuse from time to time, but with our bumpy roads here I am not sure it is a good idea long term.

It definitely makes the car feel like it's on rails, though. More BMW-like (in a good way) and more hunkered down.

Quick Reply: I removed fuse 14 & I like it! For those looking to improve handling...