XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If you are looking for a good 2010 XKR...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default If you are looking for a good 2010 XKR...

Baring an act of God, I will be trading my 2010 XKR tomorrow (3/17/2014) at a Carmax in Atlanta. The car has been meticulously maintained, and I put new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it 4 months ago. I have all my maintenance records and I am the second owner of the car. It will have about 44K miles on it. It has never been in an accident, and has always been garage kept. It was my daily driver. I put the larger spoiler on the back.

I am assuming the Carmax will list it once I trade it in. I imagine they will ask something like $44K? No sure.

The original sticker is in the owners placket...the car was listed originally for $101,000.00. I think it sold for ~$97K new. It came in to the US through CA and made it's way to Texas where someone purchased it through a Trust. I then bought it after it was traded in for a Porsche. I have the print out that shows the Jaguar service history along with the maint records for the service done while I've had it.

If you are interested I can pass your contact info along to the salesperson I am dealing with, and you may be able to get them to sell it to you without putting it up on their site.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Why are you selling?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Pretty sure it's because he is buying an XKR-S....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-xkr-s-113382/

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Pretty sure it's because he is buying an XKR-S....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-xkr-s-113382/
Yep...

Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Baring an act of God, I will be trading my 2010 XKR tomorrow (3/17/2014) at a Carmax in Atlanta. The car has been meticulously maintained, and I put new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it 4 months ago. I have all my maintenance records and I am the second owner of the car. It will have about 44K miles on it. It has never been in an accident, and has always been garage kept. It was my daily driver. I put the larger spoiler on the back.

I am assuming the Carmax will list it once I trade it in. I imagine they will ask something like $44K? No sure.

The original sticker is in the owners placket...the car was listed originally for $101,000.00. I think it sold for ~$97K new. It came in to the US through CA and made it's way to Texas where someone purchased it through a Trust. I then bought it after it was traded in for a Porsche. I have the print out that shows the Jaguar service history along with the maint records for the service done while I've had it.

If you are interested I can pass your contact info along to the salesperson I am dealing with, and you may be able to get them to sell it to you without putting it up on their site.
Sorry to see you selling. I bet CARMAX will ask a lot more than 44K. Just about a couple of weeks ago I got an estimate from CARMAX for the purchasing of my perfect '12XJL with 14K miles and they were offering me $47K. At the moment they had a nearly identical XJL listed in nearby LA with slightly higher mileage for $59K. Quite a profit they were going to make on the trade. Needless to say, I did not sell, I rather keep the car until the end of the lease.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The big question is......what is Carmax offering you for the trade?

Auction price?.......wholesale book?.......clean trade in?

Is Carmax offering a price that is correlated to KBB, NADA or Edmunds valuations.

Carmax will not list the car for what they offer you for it. They are in business to make money.

Why not determine the true trade offer that you will get, then offer it here to someone for a few thousand bucks more.

You win and the potential buyer wins. I am quite sure that Carmax will mark up their selling price by 20% to 22% of your trade value. Thus a $40,000 trade will see a list of $48,000+.......a $35,000 trade will see a list of $42,000+. Then Carmax will deal down from that price point to a potential buyer.

Most car owners think their car is worth more than what any dealer will offer.

Are you going into the deal without already knowing what Carmax is offering?

I would assume that you have already done your research to determine a value of your existing Jaguar that you will accept to make the deal happen.

I think the "disclosure" of this information might help you with a potential sale outright before making a trade. No car dealer is in the business to lose money. They always have their advantage over the consumer, which you already probably understand.

You are probably better off keeping the car and selling it yourself, rather than getting beaten up on a trade value that you will be disappointed with.

Trade value appears to be within the $35,000 to $38,000 range tops. Auction price comes in at about $32,000 to $33,000.

Last edited by richzak; 03-16-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
...You win and the potential buyer wins. I am quite sure that Carmax will mark up their selling price by 20% to 22% of your trade value. Thus a $40,000 trade will see a list of $48,000+.......a $35,000 trade will see a list of $42,000+. Then Carmax will deal down from that price point to a potential buyer.
I never even considered purchasing a car from CARMAX but, from what I heard, there is no room for haggling on the displayed price. What you see on the window is what you pay. Anyone with real experience?

If that is true, it would make it even more irritating that they only offered me $47k for my XJL while listing an identical car for $59K

Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

The big question is......what is Carmax offering you for the trade?

Auction price?.......wholesale book?.......clean trade in?

Is Carmax offering a price that is correlated to KBB, NADA or Edmunds valuations.

Carmax will not list the car for what they offer you for it. They are in business to make money.

Why not determine the true trade offer that you will get, then offer it here to someone for a few thousand bucks more.

You win and the potential buyer wins. I am quite sure that Carmax will mark up their selling price by 20% to 22% of your trade value. Thus a $40,000 trade will see a list of $48,000+.......a $35,000 trade will see a list of $42,000+. Then Carmax will deal down from that price point to a potential buyer.

Are you going into the deal without already knowing what Carmax is offering?

I would assume that you have already done your research to determine a value of your existing Jaguar that you will accept to make the deal happen.

I think the "disclosure" of this information might help you with a potential sale outright before making a trade. No car dealer is in the business to lose money. They always have their advantage over the consumer, which you already probably understand.

You are probably better off keeping the car and selling it yourself, rather than getting beaten up on a trade value that you will be disappointed with.

Trade value appears to be within the $35,000 to $38,000 range tops. Auction price comes in at about $32,000 to $33,000.
Carmax is giving me $41K for my car in trade. I could have sold it myself first (which I have done in the past). That amount is on the upper end of the trade range I probably could have sold it for, what, $43K, $44K? Maybe. If I did I would have paid another ~$2K in title tax at the DMV when registering, so that would wipe out the extra money I would have gotten from a private sale. Since there are 2011 XKR's going for $49K (retail) I don't think they will be pricing mine at $48K.

I am getting a fair deal with both cars...not a fantastic deal, but a fair deal. Yes, Carmax does not haggle which seems to attract people that don't like to do that either. For me, it just turned out that the car I am getting was at a Carmax dealership in Miami. If it had been at a Porsche dealership in Houston, or a Jag dealer wherever maybe the price negotiation would have been different.

But, according to KBB, the retail on this car from a dealer is between ~$102K to ~$109K. From a Private Party, $90K to $101K. I'm getting it from a dealer for $85K. So, I think it is a fair deal. I also considered a 2013 XKR-S for $99, 500. But after checking the 2013 and 2012 I could find absolutely no difference between the two model years. The 2013 had around 1200 miles and the one I am looking to get has 3640 miles. The one I am looking to get has the better coloring options than the 2013 (for me). So I could not justify paying an additional $15K for the 2013.

Anyway, as long as Carmax doesn't screw the car up like they did with Lothar, things should be fine. There is a chance that they do not list mine for sale and take it straight to auction. I don't really know.

I will tell you that the day I took it to be valued I parked it near the front entrance. I lucked up and had a few parking spaces between myself and other cars. I went in to talk to the salesperson, and he and I came out to see it and for me to get my computer before they took it for the valuation. There was a bigger crowd looking at it than they had inside in their showroom.

The salesperson started laughing because I had to ask people to move out of the way to get to the hatch and get my computer bag.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Carmax is giving me $41K for my car in trade. I could have sold it myself first (which I have done in the past). That amount is on the upper end of the trade range I probably could have sold it for, what, $43K, $44K? Maybe. If I did I would have paid another ~$2K in title tax at the DMV when registering, so that would wipe out the extra money I would have gotten from a private sale. Since there are 2011 XKR's going for $49K (retail) I don't think they will be pricing mine at $48K.

I am getting a fair deal with both cars...not a fantastic deal, but a fair deal. Yes, Carmax does not haggle which seems to attract people that don't like to do that either. For me, it just turned out that the car I am getting was at a Carmax dealership in Miami. If it had been at a Porsche dealership in Houston, or a Jag dealer wherever maybe the price negotiation would have been different.

But, according to KBB, the retail on this car from a dealer is between ~$102K to ~$109K. From a Private Party, $90K to $101K. I'm getting it from a dealer for $85K. So, I think it is a fair deal. I also considered a 2013 XKR-S for $99, 500. But after checking the 2013 and 2012 I could find absolutely no difference between the two model years. The 2013 had around 1200 miles and the one I am looking to get has 3640 miles. The one I am looking to get has the better coloring options than the 2013 (for me). So I could not justify paying an additional $15K for the 2013.

Anyway, as long as Carmax doesn't screw the car up like they did with Lothar, things should be fine. There is a chance that they do not list mine for sale and take it straight to auction. I don't really know.

I will tell you that the day I took it to be valued I parked it near the front entrance. I lucked up and had a few parking spaces between myself and other cars. I went in to talk to the salesperson, and he and I came out to see it and for me to get my computer before they took it for the valuation. There was a bigger crowd looking at it than they had inside in their showroom.

The salesperson started laughing because I had to ask people to move out of the way to get to the hatch and get my computer bag.

Is this the same car that is on carmax for $55K

Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

So true. We thought about trading the Range Rover for a new '13 Abarth and the trade in value was not worth it.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
I never even considered purchasing a car from CARMAX but, from what I heard, there is no room for haggling on the displayed price. What you see on the window is what you pay. Anyone with real experience?

If that is true, it would make it even more irritating that they only offered me $47k for my XJL while listing an identical car for $59K
I've purchased two cars from Carmax over the years but I wouldn't buy another one from them. There is no negotiating, which is ok but, be careful and have the car checked out by a mechanic first (like you should at any other place). Both of the cars I bought had clean Carfax reports but both had been involved in accidents.

They will not offer you NADA trade in values - they determine the value by what like cars have sold for at wholesale auctions in your area (and then subtract another few G's I'm sure). Typically, $4,000 - $5,000 less than NADA. They gave me $21K for my old FX35 and it was listed a few days later for $26K...your mileage may vary

They will buy your car outright too. They offer they give you is good weather you trade it in or not

richzak (03-18-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot about this thread. I did not trade my car to them and did not buy the XKR-S from them.

Carmax is ridiculous. My experience with them was a nightmare. They damaged the XKR-S, and made the deal/sale impossible. They *DO NOT* understand or even realize what they should be doing with higher end buyers or automobiles.

I will steer as many people away from Carmax as I can. Given what I experienced, I *do not* see how they stay in business. There must be a lot of sheeple that go there and bow down to the ridiculousness they put you through to buy their cars.

STAY AWAY FROM CARMAX!!!!! Tell all your friends...

bobdr1 (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray XK
They will not offer you NADA trade in values - they determine the value by what like cars have sold for at wholesale auctions in your area (and then subtract another few G's I'm sure). Typically, $4,000 - $5,000 less than NADA.
All the car dealers in my locale do the same. I got the same quote for my trade in from 3 different dealers and that was after my buddy who owns a dealership told me what they'd all offer.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Forgot about this thread. I did not trade my car to them and did not buy the XKR-S from them.
So, not an act of god but an act of dog (i.e. them sonsab1ches at Carmax)

Sympathy, mate - I loathe those 'car supermarket' places. They're run by real white-sox salesmen, one of the most odious species on the planet. Good luck with the search; there's bound to be a decent & 'affordable' (relatively) XKR-S out there, now that they have a few years/miles on 'em.

rscultho (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Carmax is ridiculous. My experience with them was a nightmare. They damaged the XKR-S, and made the deal/sale impossible. They *DO NOT* understand or even realize what they should be doing with higher end buyers or automobiles.

I will steer as many people away from Carmax as I can. Given what I experienced, I *do not* see how they stay in business. There must be a lot of sheeple that go there and bow down to the ridiculousness they put you through to buy their cars.

STAY AWAY FROM CARMAX!!!!! Tell all your friends...
Interesting. They damaged an XKR-S? That's crazy... one would think they would be extra careful when they came across a high end car like that.

I've sold two cars at carmax, but never thought about buying one there. I can see how it might be like any other used car lot, just with super high volume (which probably wouldn't be a good thing). I like that they don't screw around trying to lowball you, their price is their price and its good for a week, so you can take it with you to a dealership or wherever and see if you can get more.

I sold a mazdaspeed 3 right before I got my XK... I took it to my local Mazda place first to see if they wanted it. The guy drove it around the parking lot, got out, and immediately started selling me on all the things that were wrong with it. He went as far as to say he was going to have to put new tires on it... the car was two years old and I had replaced the stock tires about 2500 miles previous. He offered 13k, I drove straight to the nearest carmax and got 16 (without having to listen to any BS). Of course, when I got home I had a message from the Mazda place trying to get me to come back. Annoying, irritating, dealer crap.

Anyway hopefully things work out better for you with your new car search... good luck!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gray XK
They will not offer you NADA trade in values - they determine the value by what like cars have sold for at wholesale auctions in your area (and then subtract another few G's I'm sure). Typically, $4,000 - $5,000 less than NADA.
This is the new wave that auto dealerships are using on trades. I just went through this on a deal for a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 5.0L

The dealership offered $18,000 for my 2010 F-150 XLT in showroom condition with 27,000 miles. The KBB, NADA was right at $22,000. I was quite pissed at the offer. Told them I wouldn't let the 2010 go for anything less than $22,000....after an hour of BS they went to $20,000 and I walked out. 2 days later the salesman called and got the offer up to $21,000. Did the deal for the new 2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew. Then a week later my 2010 trade showed up on the dealers lot at $25,995. The ad stated this 2010 XLT is priced $15.00 below the KBB retail.

These dealers will try hard to get the trade for recent auction prices, then turn around and list for full KBB or NADA book value.

I have access to the dealer auto auctions and know/see the auction prices. I had to fight hard to go from $18,000 to $21,000.....dealing with car dealers is turned out to be a nightmare. It's all BS.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

This is the new wave that auto dealerships are using on trades. I just went through this on a deal for a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 5.0L

The dealership offered $18,000 for my 2010 F-150 XLT in showroom condition with 27,000 miles. The KBB, NADA was right at $22,000. I was quite pissed at the offer. Told them I wouldn't let the 2010 go for anything less than $22,000....after an hour of BS they went to $20,000 and I walked out. 2 days later the salesman called and got the offer up to $21,000. Did the deal for the new 2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew. Then a week later my 2010 trade showed up on the dealers lot at $25,995. The ad stated this 2010 XLT is priced $15.00 below the KBB retail.

These dealers will try hard to get the trade for recent auction prices, then turn around and list for full KBB or NADA book value.

I have access to the dealer auto auctions and know/see the auction prices. I had to fight hard to go from $18,000 to $21,000.....dealing with car dealers is turned out to be a nightmare. It's all BS.

Yes dealers are certainly at the bottom of the food chain. However, selling a late model car can be a major feat as a private sale is not really viable and the trade generates the tax credit. The dealer has you in a choke hold. It's hard work.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yes dealers are certainly at the bottom of the food chain. However, selling a late model car can be a major feat as a private sale is not really viable and the trade generates the tax credit. The dealer has you in a choke hold. It's hard work.
Yes, doing the trade helped a little on my sales tax. We are one of the lowest in New Mexico at just 3%. Not too bad at all. That's because we are all rather poor.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Yes, doing the trade helped a little on my sales tax. We are one of the lowest in New Mexico at just 3%. Not too bad at all. That's because we are all rather poor.
Wow 3% I guess I got to move as we are gonna be hit for 7.25% here in NY. That's ugly on an $80K car. Well I guess I can't take it with me. LOL

Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

We are at 7.25% in Ohio as well it's insane!!

Quick Reply: If you are looking for a good 2010 XKR...