XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intro new member: potential 07 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro new member: potential 07 XKR

A little backstory. My dad bought this xkr new back in 07. My dad is the type of owner that doesn't pay attention to his cars like I do. Not an enthusiast in the least, doesn't care about worn tires or maintaining the car. The car has never been detailed and now it sat outside all winter with no cover as my dad hasn't driven it in a year. Rotors are rusted, battery dead and the tires are flat. Who knows what else. But the times we've had it running. Car ran great.

He had hip problems as of late and prefers driving his SUV daily. My siblings have grown up and no longer want rides in the "cool" car. And I have been telling him to get rid of it. He doesn't care to, nor does he need the little money it would bring. So today our landscapers needed some plywood and since I have the pickup I went to drop some off at the house and as they were unloading the truck. I went around the jag, the front bumper has been cracked needs paint, same with rear bumper. All 4 wheels have curb rash. Car is still parked basically where the photo attached is (that was the day we brought it home)

Now I'll make my dad a lowball offer :laugh:, if he bites. I plan to budget 10k towards the car. I want to address and improve the following. If anyone has experience with these cars or knows some good aftermarket sites that carry parts for this I would appreciate it.

1. full fluid flush and change
2. replace rotors and pads with aftermarket better quality items
3. Suspension upgrade, shocks/springs, bushings? sway bar
4. New wheels and tires
5. repair bumpers and detail, got a family member with a paint shop so i'll get a good deal.
6. get rid of that antenna

If money left over. Then I would like to do intake/pulley/midpipe etc. Wake the car up a bit. (suggestions)

I'd make this a badass cruiser, parked next to my bruiser (hellcat) would be a fun combo.

What do you guys think? Potential for a nice save? I've always wanted a project car. It would be fun to save this bad boy. It was a fun car.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Welcome!
Unfortunately we're not seeing your picture. Either upload it directly or try a different hosting site.
All cats deserved to be saved, so go for it.
I think you can find answers and examples of all of your question within the threads of this forum, give the search box a work-out. You'll find part numbers that you can google for suppliers with the best prices.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM

https://goo.gl/photos/MCbj6RzC96taMtS57

Photobucket sucks. I apologize. I do not see how to edit the thread. So here is a link to the car

Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

No third party photo manager is required, just load your photo directly from your device.
Anyway, with no further information on the car, it looks like a very good candidate for a clean-up. Ten grand will go a LONG way in sprucing it up, with probably a good chunk left over.
As far as editing your posts, you may have to wait until you become a "Member" instead of a Junior. I seem to remember a minimum post requirement for that.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM

any suggestions on better fluid, rotors and pads and suspension mods?

Do you guys think some gold center with silver lip wheels would look good on the car? BBS style

in this look?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

The XKR does not needs any aftermarket nonsense, as it was a great car the day it left the factory. No aftermarket rim will look better than the OEM rims on the XK. Jaguar hit a homerun when they made the OEM rims. I suggest you focus on getting everything working right, refinish the existing rims, put some new tires and just enjoy it in its stock form.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Please save that car!!!
Its nice.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Ara I understand where you are coming from. You want to make some improvements.
However, own the car as if for a while. Make it new again. As you learn about the car you will realize that it already had the best options on it.

Also this car is one of those pieces of art that looks best as original. BTW your dad is more of a car guy than you realize, he went and bought this car 10 years ago. It was one of the coolest things on the road back then....and still is.

sov211 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

After a fluid flush, the brakes will likely rub off the rust if driven.

Those BBS wheels are heavy(30lb +), as are the stock wheels. I would not consider those BBS wheels to be a worth while upgrade.

I would limit engine modifications to the exhaust and dyno tune. These are the ways to free up horse power with the least, or no negative impact on reliability of the engine.

I think the general forum response is going to be "Be brave, go for it". After all, we did on our own Jaguars.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Not digging the wheels. I would go with OEM rotors and ceramic pads if you want little dust. Akebono is a popular brand. For the antenna, just pull the fuse for the mast. There's threads on which fuse it is. You may want the antenna if you go on a long road trip or plan to sell the car later on. Intakes are worthless on this car. Jaguar has already optimized the design. You'll decrease power if anything. Go for a pulley and tune as one won't be ideal without the other. I wouldn't bother with the pulley and tune until the end. Sounds like you have some tasks on hand!

Remember this is a classy Jaguar, not tuner car...

Queen and Country (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up

Save it. Do what you want and enjoy it. I would suggest first driving it for a couple months to get it woken up and the hibernation bugs worked out. Read my thread if you want to see what I've been through bringing mine back from neglected. I don't think there's a ton of stuff needing to be modified. If anything adding a Quaffie LSD to the rear will make the car tons more fun to drive. With the open rear you can't push it hard at lower speeds. The stock brakes are impressive too. Pull fuse 19 between the back seats to get a little more rumble out of the exhaust.

I worked some magic on the PB link to get it to post. Using the forum pic uploader works well. Click this above:

The most important thing is enjopy it.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

If you want to do a mod, the best one you can do for that convertible is to get theJagWrangler.com's Remote Top and Rear Window Control.
It's cool, your friends will be in awe, and with the rears up and top down and a rear wind screen, you can roar the highways without your copilot getting her hair messed up.