XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Italian Racing Red: universally loved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
I do find it slightly anomalous that we work hard to make our cars stand out and be downright sexy, when most of us (me included) need to go on a crash diet, perhaps some cosmetic surgery and certainly a ceramic coating for ourselves.

That said I am the same weight at 54 I was at 19 (73kg/164lbs) probs due to hair loss though!

But my sprung weight is lower, so hopefully my car will go faster than someone of 220lbs?
Considering you have a plain vanilla car nobody should notice you. I just got back from the Lexus dealer for the air bag recall and they had over 50 cars on the front lot . All of their various models with another 150 or so in the back. On the front lot all were either white or gray with a few black ones. In the back were white and silver and gray. Kinda looked like the star wars storm troopers getting ready for a battle.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Considering you have a plain vanilla car nobody should notice you. I just got back from the Lexus dealer for the air bag recall and they had over 50 cars on the front lot . All of their various models with another 150 or so in the back. On the front lot all were either white or gray with a few black ones. In the back were white and silver and gray. Kinda looked like the star wars storm troopers getting ready for a battle.
Apologies to owners of white, silver, grey, and black cars, but it's sad. Some people just don't care what they drive. I asked a coworker why the brand new SUV he bought was white, and he replied "That's what was on the lot". If more buyers of new cars expressed their opinion on car colors by actually ordering what they wanted, instead of taking the drivel rolled out by the manufacturers, we might have more color choices available in the used car market.
(I've bought just one new car in my life, and guess what? It was red! All the rest were used, and guess what? They were some shade of red too!)

Old 03-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

One of my Mustangs is "Performance Red" with black interior and top. It looks sharp when all shined up. While I like red, I didn't want a red XKR but never could think of the reason. 'Just Cuz' is the best I came up with.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Sometimes you don't have a choice of color. The 2008 XKR Portfolio was available only in Celestial Black and the 2009 XKR Portfolio was available only in Shadow Grey. That's one reason why they cost more.

Of course, you can always repaint or wrap it in a different color.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Sometimes you don't have a choice of color. The 2008 XKR Portfolio was available only in Celestial Black and the 2009 XKR Portfolio was available only in Shadow Grey. That's one reason why they cost more.

Of course, you can always repaint or wrap it in a different color.
Yeah that was to bad but a wrap would be a great way to go and it's reversible. Good point

Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Sometimes you don't have a choice of color.
This is usually the situation with most new car purchases; you're stuck with what's on the dealer's lot.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
This is usually the situation with most new car purchases; you're stuck with what's on the dealer's lot.
One could order a color but then you could be waiting for a couple months to cycle through production.
Additionally, some of us choose not to have dark colors (that includes red) for other reasons. For instance, I have to drive 1/2 mile on an unpaved mountain road where the dust/dirt prohiibits having a clean car for any length of time. I creep along hoping to minimize dust but it always shows on the dark color cars.
Still, in any color, the XK is a head turner.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

I pretty much agree that used cars don't give you much color choice unless you are willing to wait for what you want. Then again if you have multiple colors that you will accept it give you a little more leeway. I was looking for either Green , Red or blue and I waited 6 months to find one. During this period I could have bought a boat load of black , gray , white or silver cars. As for new cars once again it depends on what you are willing to accept. I have never bought a new car off of the lot that wasn't in the color group I had in mind. Usually I have the dealer check their dealer network for what I'm looking for and they end up doing a dealer to dealer trade for my color choice. If they want your business they will search and work for you. The furthest that I got was a new Lexus from Florida that was shipped to my dealer from NY. The only exception to this is my pick up trucks. I buy them off the lot regardless of color. So it's either get what you want or just settle.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

The '50's was a happy time. WWII was over, life returned to normal and everyone wanted a new car. Unlike the gloomy car colors of today that remind me of hearses, battleships, and cloudy days, the pastel car colors of the '50's used by Ford, GM, and Chrysler reflected joyful exuberance - with names like Willow Green, Seamist Green, Starmist Blue, Skyline Blue, Coral Sand, Dusk Rose, Goldenrod Yellow and many more. And most of those models were available in 2 or 3 toned paint schemes. It was a great time for American cars. Bring back those colors!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
mosesbotbol (10-13-2019), Queen and Country (03-05-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Considering you have a plain vanilla car nobody should notice you.
As a man of colour, it's actually a good contrast! Plus it gets noticed a lot, moreso for the sound though

Appreciate that here in the UK I think white is the third most popular colour behind grey and black, in the US (where you get FAR more sun) white is the most popular by some margin, which goes to show that (by your way of thinking) a fifth of the cars/drivers stateside will be invisible

Kinda looked like the star wars storm troopers getting ready for a battle.
As I was lucky enough to go to the premier in 1977 and thus a huge fan, so I'll take that as a compliment.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=MarkyUK;2034570]As a man of colour, it's actually a good contrast! Plus it gets noticed a lot, moreso for the sound though

Appreciate that here in the UK I think white is the third most popular colour behind grey and black, in the US (where you get FAR more sun) white is the most popular by some margin, which goes to show that (by your way of thinking) a fifth of the cars/drivers stateside will be invisible

You are correct as to the large volume of white cars here. And as I mentioned usually both the car and driver are pretty invisible.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Ha Ha, I'm not looking to be "noticed" just to enjoy the ride!
I'll say it again, it really doesn't matter what the color is since the XK is one fantastic car! I haven't seen a factory XK color that I couldn't enjoy.
So I guess if it comes down to a color prejudice then I'm not in that crowd.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (03-05-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Ha Ha, I'm not looking to be "noticed" just to enjoy the ride!
I'll say it again, it really doesn't matter what the color is since the XK is one fantastic car! I haven't seen a factory XK color that I couldn't enjoy.
So I guess if it comes down to a color prejudice then I'm not in that crowd.
Correct as it's a matter of taste which is different for all of us . I've sometimes wondered who picks the most popular color. Is it the Mfg. or the dealer network or the consumer. Kind of a chicken and egg question. By the way as would be expected white cars in the US get the most tickets . Enjoy what you like .

Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I pretty much agree that used cars don't give you much color choice unless you are willing to wait for what you want. Then again if you have multiple colors that you will accept it give you a little more leeway.
Some cars look good in a color I would not normally want. Other cars look good in multiple colors. In New England, the consumer is very conservative in color selection. We could've ordered a car in a "dream color combo", but the discounts are less likely than buying something off the lot. Our new Volvo is a semi-pearl white metallic. Very pretty color actually, but I see the same pretty white Volvo SUV several times a day... Then again MA is Volvo country...

Old 03-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I'll always remember a comment by an ex-girlfriend on a IRR XKR that we saw in a parking lot.
I gushed: "Isn't it gorgeous??"
After staring at it for a while, she said --

"It looks like a fish!"

Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

She's right!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
CleverName (10-14-2019), Wolfy (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Some cars look good in a color I would not normally want. Other cars look good in multiple colors. In New England, the consumer is very conservative in color selection. We could've ordered a car in a "dream color combo", but the discounts are less likely than buying something off the lot. Our new Volvo is a semi-pearl white metallic. Very pretty color actually, but I see the same pretty white Volvo SUV several times a day... Then again MA is Volvo country...
My wife's Volvo is Dark Green metallic. Looks like a BRG with metal-flake.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Apologies to owners of white, silver, grey, and black cars, but it's sad. Some people just don't care what they drive. I asked a coworker why the brand new SUV he bought was white, and he replied "That's what was on the lot". If more buyers of new cars expressed their opinion on car colors by actually ordering what they wanted, instead of taking the drivel rolled out by the manufacturers, we might have more color choices available in the used car market.
(I've bought just one new car in my life, and guess what? It was red! All the rest were used, and guess what? They were some shade of red too!)
Having an X100 and X308 in Carnival Red, I actually like dark reds; but I HATE bright reds. I have owned 3 bright red cars, 97 Dodge Neon Coupe, 88 Fiero 2M4 and a 73 Triumph GT6 MK3; all bought because they were so cheap, "HAS ALL THE SAME COLOR PAINT" was the color requirements. I looked at a 07 XKR Coupe in Radiance and while the color was nice, I find my black car visually quite appealing and like the black interior a LOT more than a light one. I think the dark grey metallic is particularly beautiful in these cars!

There are some beautiful shades on the X150, one of my favorites is Emerald Fire, with Kyanite Blue being another striking color.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

It's pretty interesting but if you look at most car TV adds in the US they usually show red cars. They only difference here is if you are selling SUV's to grocery moms they usually are white. What say the marketing types.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red is an excellent color

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I wanted my XKR in Salsa red if I couldn't get it in black. It would be unusual, for sure!

Yes this xkr is beyond remarkable in Salsa red, and indeed, the image you are showing... Is actually my own car.

Quick Reply: Italian Racing Red: universally loved?