XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jag USA Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Jag USA Sucks

So the Catalytic convertor went bad with 37000 miles. $1,850 to replace with a Federally mandated warranty 8yrs or 80,000 miles. My engine light went off in September. I was waiting till end of year cleanup and oil change, I called to make appointment October 25th for service and detail and was given Nov 5th. Jaguar USA said the warranty ran out Oct 15th. They will not give any assistance. I got the car back after the oil change with a bad seal and had oil all over the street and driveway. They brought the car back and it was still leaking like a sieve and sent it back. This time they replaced the filter since it had a bad seal. The dealer sent two cans of carb cleaner for the street. Jaguar USA just said we will call the dealer. Any problem I have ever had with my Lincolns the dealer goes out of his way to fix and drops off the replacement car while the work is done.
P.S. Thanks for letting me Vent Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Attached Thumbnails Jag USA Sucks-img_20151129_164322364.jpg  
Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

That's terrible service, and the dealer should have gone to bat for you with JagUSA.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
al_roethlisberger (01-10-2016), LstFord (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That is pretty lame on both the dealership and Jag. You should be able to find some good Jag USA contacts on this site that should help you out. I have read about it on several threads over the year.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Arrow

LstFord,

For a recent opposite result, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-pump-155028/ on the XJ Forum. Jaguar North America picked up the entire cost to replace an out-of-warranty water pump after the local dealer billed the owner.

Both the 5.0L water pump and catalytic converter are known to fail prematurely. One catalytic converter on my 2009 XKR failed at 30,000 miles and the water pump on my 2013 XJ 5.0L SC failed at 29,000 miles. Both were replaced under warranty.

I suggest that you send a PM to the OP on the XJ Forum and ask him for the contact information of the person who helped him at Jaguar North America.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
LstFord (12-28-2015), Sean W (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
So the Catalytic convertor went bad with 37000 miles. $1,850 to replace with a Federally mandated warranty 8yrs or 80,000 miles. My engine light went off in September. I was waiting till end of year cleanup and oil change, I called to make appointment October 25th for service and detail and was given Nov 5th. Jaguar USA said the warranty ran out Oct 15th. They will not give any assistance. I got the car back after the oil change with a bad seal and had oil all over the street and driveway. They brought the car back and it was still leaking like a sieve and sent it back. This time they replaced the filter since it had a bad seal. The dealer sent two cans of carb cleaner for the street. Jaguar USA just said we will call the dealer. Any problem I have ever had with my Lincolns the dealer goes out of his way to fix and drops off the replacement car while the work is done.
P.S. Thanks for letting me Vent Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
They have never given any extensions or goodwill on any 8/80,000 emissions items. The sad truth is you should have gone in when the light came on.

The following 2 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
LstFord (12-28-2015), Sean W (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

If the converter went bad in September and no action was taken until the end of October, it think it could be expected that Jag would deny support.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
JgaXkr (12-27-2015), Sean W (12-27-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I always sympathize with folks in this position, having a failure right out of the warranty period really sucks. But to expect that it should be honored is not realistic. There is a start and stop time for a reason.

The leaking part by the dealer is unacceptable.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jag USA is terrible.

I had many issues when I purchased my XK from a Jag dealer.

I contacted Jag USA, explained the situation to them and got very little support for what I went through.

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree there is no obligation out of warranty even a few days, although the log showed it was bad for a while. My probllems with the dealer including sending it back with grease on the seats after detailing it made it seem worse.
I think if Jaguar is going to make headway in the American market they need to do more. They are a highend dealer and you would expect them to always stand behind the car. Huyndai came to the US with no market share, and in 15 years became a major player growing every year. They said 10yrs or 100,000 miles and stood behind the cars. JD Power rates Jaguar a top 5 in new car quaility in the last three years but sales haven't changed. People still think of Jags having quailty issues and that needs to change. My thoughts.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree there is no obligation out of warranty even a few days, although the log showed it was bad for a while. My problems with the dealer including sending it back with grease on the seats after detailing it made it seem worse. Agree completely on being upset on the grease and the dealers failure to address that immediately and completely to your satisfaction. Regarding the catalytic converter you are upset at them for not offering you something for free, or at least a significant discount, on something past warranty. they do not have any obligation to do so. Mfg's always draw a line someplace and you were beyond that line... sad but true. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be happy but I also wouldn't be holding Jag responsible for not taking car of the CC, the dealer I would have to go all "Jihad" on

I think if Jaguar is going to make headway in the American market they need to do more. Do more what??? They are a highend dealer and you would expect them to always stand behind the car . Again you're upset for them not going beyond a specified warranty. Huyndai came to the US with no market share, and in 15 years became a major player growing every year. They said 10yrs or 100,000 miles and stood behind the cars. That is comparing apples to oranges. Hyundai has made great strides but dabbles in the low-mid range of cars not high-end. A Hyundai Sonata hardly has the technology or performance of Jaguars hence there will always be more to go wrong. JD Power rates Jaguar a top 5 in new car quaility in the last three years but sales haven't changed. People still think of Jags having quailty issues and that needs to change Same can be said for Audi having a terrible reputation but has moved on from their early mistakes however their resale does not reflect their improvements. Every high-end car mfg seems to have issues with quality control with perhaps the only exception being Lexus - Mercedes, Porsche, definitely BMW... all of them tend to have a myriad of high tech gadgetry that often either confuses their customers and/or has issues but that's the downside of offering stuff like that. Jag's sales will likely increase considerably with the arrival of their SUV and XE type My thoughts.

Last edited by Leeper; 12-27-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

LstFord,
Federal law mandates that catalytic converters be covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever comes first. Since your car is a 2008 and is obviously not at 80,000 miles, is it that your car was originally sold in 2007 and therefore ineligible? And wasn't an appointment made with the dealer where they couldn't accomodate you until just after the warranty was over? That's just chicken crap on both the dealer's and JagUSA's part. It's baloney that you shouldn't expect it to be covered out of warranty, your car has only 37000 miles on it, and catalytic converters should not be expiring at mileage anywhere near double that much. I'm sorry but that's just bad business and poor judgment. Keep trying!

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

Tberg - why is it "chicken crap"? Even you wrote 8 year OR 80K miles, it fell OUTSIDE of the 8 year mark so how does that constitute "Chicken crap"? In this case the miles are totally irrelevant.

He should keep trying but he is also only asking for "goodwill" consideration at this point as he is beyond the parameters of the warranty. It is within the dealerships ability to extend that goodwill also try to find a "champion" with Jag USA

Old 12-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Leeper,
LstFord called to make the appointment Oct. 25th, which was apparently 10 days beyond the time warranty if in fact the car's original bill of sale was October 15, 2007. LstFord also said in his post that the condition of the catalytic converters had been known by the servicing dealer for some time. If he was only out of warranty for 10 days, I think it is safe to assume that the condtion was reported and known prior to the warranty's expiration. Even if it hadn't been known prior, the dealer had the opportunity to intervene and didn't. Finally, do you think giving LstFord a can of carb cleaner and telling him to clean up the mess they were responsible for was the epitome of customer service?
I work on people's homes for a living, and I tell each and every customer of mine that I warrant anything I do for them forever and that they can call me if there is ever a problem. It's only good business to keep customer satisfaction high on the priority list especially when it's so close to the actual expiration, and in light of the mess for which they were the cause. Maybe LstFord should send the dealership a bill for concrete replacement for $1850.00.

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Banned

Leeper,
LstFord called to make the appointment Oct. 25th, which was apparently 10 days beyond the time warranty if in fact the car's original bill of sale was October 15, 2007. LstFord also said in his post that the condition of the catalytic converters had been known by the servicing dealer for some time. If he was only out of warranty for 10 days, I think it is safe to assume I don't "assume" anything.if that is the case then should he decide to litigate sounds like he would have a rather strong case that the condtion was reported and known prior to the warranty's expiration. Even if it hadn't been known prior, the dealer had the opportunity to intervene and didn't Correct BUT again if it is out or warranty, regardless of whether that is mileage or date, then it is still a matter of "goodwill". Finally, do you think giving LstFord a can of carb cleaner and telling him to clean up the mess they were responsible for was the epitome of customer service? I think I was pretty clear in answering your question here in post #10 of this thread

I work on people's homes for a living not sure how housing is relevant to auto manufacturing, and I tell each and every customer of mine that I warrant anything I do for them forever Great and nice but still not relevant to this thread and that they can call me if there is ever a problem. It's only good business to keep customer satisfaction high on the priority list especially when it's so close to the actual expiration again there is a line drawn and it is no longer an obligation for them to do so if it is out of warranty, and in light of the mess for which they were the cause Jaguar didn't cause the mess the dealership did. As stated the dealership has the ability to step up regarding the CC but it is not their legal obligation to do so unless he can prove that he reported the issue prior to the warranty expiring... and yes If I were him I hoe they'd step up . Maybe LstFord should send the dealership a bill for concrete replacement for $1850.00.

If I were him as said I'd work Jag USA hard for goodwill and contact the GM/owner of the dealership via email and/or letter letting him know what happened adn what you seek as far as recourse so you have a record and if all that still gets him no where personally I'd file a suit

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Again I appreciate your thoughts, Jaguar USA per phone and emails said little. I will follow up with a letter and pictures. It is Michigan so the tires
have 45psi on wood squares, full tank and battery tender.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Some (all?) of the bad work was at the dealer - not owned by Jag USA. You need to pursue the dealer who screwed up. Is this not the case...

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Some (all?) of the bad work was at the dealer - not owned by Jag USA. You need to pursue the dealer who screwed up. Is this not the case...

Yes, but there is little they will do now unless come back and clean up my
street. The carb cleaner did nothing.

Attached Thumbnails Jag USA Sucks-img_20151204_121331469.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

FWIW.....

I spent 30 years at new car dealerships and found that 'goodwill assistance' is something that varied greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, geographic location, economic conditions at the time, whether or not the problem is a 'known' and common fault, customer loyalty to the brand, and umpteen other case-by-case variables.....including customer attitude. Oftentimes...but certainly not always.... dealer input on behalf of the customer can play a large role in decisions made at the corporate level.

Broadly speaking it seems to me, judging from what I've heard and read over the years, it seems that Jaguar keeps very tight purse strings compared to most others.

Cheers
DD

LstFord (12-28-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by LstFord
Yes, but there is little they will do now unless come back and clean up my
street. The carb cleaner did nothing.
If they don't react to a letter warning of legal action then go ahead with legal action. Has worked for me a number of times. Have hardly ever needed to file the suit, but haven't lost, don't intend to.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
If they don't react to a letter warning of legal action then go ahead with legal action. Has worked for me a number of times. Have hardly ever needed to file the suit, but haven't lost, don't intend to.
I will ask the obvious question, sue for what reason? A public street that is dirty?

The car was out of warranty, the poorly executed oil change and subsequent leak seemed to be remedied, the last complaint is the inability to clean....a street.

I don't think you can sue for being embarrassed that there is a large oil slick leading to your house.

Quick Reply: Jag USA Sucks