Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar xk replacment

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Jaguar xk replacment

Jaguar is set to replace the XK with a larger luxury GT car based on the F-Type. These images show how it could look.

The Jaguar XK will be quietly phased out in the summer, but Jaguar is already working on its more upmarket successor, set to be pitched as a larger 2+2 grand tourer to take on the Bentley Continental GT and new Mercedes S-Class Coupe.

The exclusive images show how the model could take design cues from the F-Type and increase its dimensions, becoming more of an XJ Coupe than an oversized F-Type.

A larger grille, chrome-ringed lower air intakes and horizontal instead of vertical headlights set it apart from its sportier brother, although the muscular rear wheelarches, flowing lines and wraparound tail-lamps tie the two cars together.
Although Jaguar sold around 54,000 XKs over its lifetime, only 4,000 found homes last year – largely because the faster F-Type has been taking sales from it. The new car will start from £100,000 to put daylight between it and the F-Type.

There’s likely to be a choice of supercharged V6 and V8 petrol engines, plus, for the first time, a six-cylinder diesel, while the platform is believed to be a stretched version of the F-Type’s aluminium architecture. Don’t expect to see the new GT for several years, though, as Jag enters one of the busiest periods in its history.

With the F-Type Coupe and Convertible now on sale, its next new car will be the XE small saloon – due in mid-2015 with an all-new iQ[Al] aluminium architecture. Then, in early 2016, comes an SUV (below) using the same structure and previewed by the C-X17 concept.

Coupe and estate versions of the XE are expected in 2016, with an all-new iQ[Al]-based XF following towards the end of that year. This means we’ll have to wait until 2017 at least before we see a new XJ and the car shown here.

For me it looks horrible, looks out of shape, a blown up f-type, thought is was to be an all new car , not a copy of another model, bring back the old one, no,no,no.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar xk replacment-new-jag.jpg   Jaguar xk replacment-new-jag2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Same story as earlier based on the XJ frame but now with an F-Type tail end. The grill looks like from an Audi to me. If you want to charge that kind of many better not have cheap plastic parts like in the F-Type center console and cup holder.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Same story as earlier based on the XJ frame but now with an F-Type tail end. The grill looks like from an Audi to me. If you want to charge that kind of many better not have cheap plastic parts like in the F-Type center console and cup holder.
See you have both cars , so you have the best of both worlds, and you can compare like for like.
IMO, hopefully this won't be the end result when it returns. I think it has an infiniti front end look, yuk

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar xk replacment-new-jag.jpg   Jaguar xk replacment-infiniti-q50-eau-rouge-concept-front-grille.jpg  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

It's not beautiful like the XK, but I quite like the lines of that. I hope that they come up with something. I had an f type yesterday for a few hours. Admittedly it was the base model, but while I grew to like the more modern interior and it was gorgeous at the front (also not really any slower given it doesnt lose traction at the touch of the pedal like the XKR), the real test was when I got out of it and back into the XKR. The XKR was immediately noticeably better for me - the ride, the seat height, the comfort, the room. I must be a soft GT man in my more mature years...

powerhouse (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's great that they're thinking about the next XK. I think the lines are nice, though I like the current XJ front end better than this one.

powerhouse (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I doubt the realized version will look anything like that.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Front end loses the spirit of Jaguar GT... Look more like an XJ coupe

Old 02-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

powerhouse, who is your source? I've heard rumors for months and months but each one seems to contradict the next. Plus this rendering looks really amateur!

Front says Volvo to me!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
powerhouse, who is your source? I've heard rumors for months and months but each one seems to contradict the next. Plus this rendering looks really amateur!

Front says Volvo to me!
There is a lot of news out there about the xk's replacement and the picture is near enough to what they say it will look like, we'll just have to get used to it, the old xk is gone , as spock might say,
"it's an xk jim, but not as we know it".
Jaguar replacing the XK with an F-Type based XJ Coupe - Torque News

Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

A little off topic, but I don't understand why Jaguar doesn't sell the XF Wagon in the North American market. With the Jaguar brand doing well here, I'm certain that it would take sales away from Audi, Mercedes and BMW. There is a definite market for those that don't want an SUV, but need the versatility of a wagon.

As for the big XK, like the lines, but it most definitely would benefit from a more exclusive front grill design.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Wagons are not big in the US. Everyone wants crossovers and hatchbacks!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Same in Oz. There is a real stigma about them. My missus isn't that fussy (hence she married me) but wild horses couldn't drag her into a wagon. Even devilish trickery like calling it an estate wont help.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
A little off topic, but I don't understand why Jaguar doesn't sell the XF Wagon in the North American market. With the Jaguar brand doing well here, I'm certain that it would take sales away from Audi, Mercedes and BMW. There is a definite market for those that don't want an SUV, but need the versatility of a wagon.
I totally agree but I guess the Crossover/CUV loving public would rather have a higher seating position and so wagons don't sell. I personally am on my third E class wagon and swear by them. I would love to see an XF or XE wagon come to these shores to give it a run for its money as both Audi and BMW no longer sell the mid size wagon variants in NA.

I think the looks, utility (more room than most CUVs), AWD capability and more engaging driving dynamics would make a Jag wagon a very compelling proposition against those other compacts on stilts.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I'd much prefer something like this;

The following 5 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
earny (02-27-2015), jagtoes (02-26-2015), richzak (02-26-2015), sherbercars (02-27-2015), tberg (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I spent nearly 30 minutes driving next to, behind or just in front of the new Mercedes S Class Coupe, yesterday. At first, I wasn't sure what it was as I approached it for the first time. It is rounded on every surface, a little too much bubble looking for my taste, looks about the same size as our current XK/XKR, and appears to have a very cramped back seat (like ours). Very strange looking rear pillars, but overall an attractive looking car (though I didn't think it was as good looking as ours). I'm not sure who is going to buy the car. The SL is their personal luxury/GT, the new AMG GT is their sports car, the 2 door E class is their large coupe. I'm not sure how to differentiate from amongst their markets.

Has anyone else seen one on the street?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Cee Jay,
That is gorgeous!!! I think I even like it more than the Maserati Alfieri and much better than the F-type. I like the F-type, and I had a lot of fun for the four days that I had a V-8S, had some criticisms about the interior, but this rendering you've posted is stunning.

Where did you find this?

Cee Jay (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay

Awesome look and would most likely be a very strong candidate for my garage.
This car looks unbelievable. I hope Jaguar produces it.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Awesome look and would most likely be a very strong candidate for my garage.
This car looks unbelievable. I hope Jaguar produces it.
Really? Looks awful, forced, and poor taste to me... Jag can design much better than that...

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Powerhouse, this rendering looks like a Japanese or American design. CeeJay's, rendering has the exotic European look with a throw back to the XK design. However, the rear quarter panel vents on CeeJay's rendering are for show only--no rare engine in that design.

Neither of the above designs do the XK justice. If and when the XK is reinvented, it will be substantially more expensive than current XK, more luxurious and less sporty. I think this bolds well for the exclusivity of the current XK and should help with the resale price. The current XK will always look great. It is timeless, quick, reliable, very sporty for a GT and it's a Jaguar.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay

I think Jaguar needs to go the more exotic/supercar route rather than a traditional GT.

Quick Reply: Jaguar xk replacment