XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a 2014 Black XKR convertible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Just bought a 2014 Black XKR convertible!

Greetings from Snohomish, Washington!

I just bought a black/black 2014 convertible XKR. It has 11,000 miles. I bought it from a Lexus dealer. I'm flying to Los Angeles tomorrow morning to get it and then drive it home over the weekend. Super excited!

It's kind of funny, but I worked the deal entirely via text message. Definitely a first for me. What a world we live in...

Some questions for the group - is there anything different in the 2014's from the 2012's? I'm unaware of any changes. Did they fix the waterpump issue by 2014? What about the leather dash shrinkage issue? Is there anything else I should be aware of in a 2014?

Now that I have an XKR again (I used to have an 02), you might see me in this forum from time to time. So I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Danny and I've been passionate about Jags since I was a kid. I've had several XJS's over the years and some XJ's. Currently, I have an 02 XJR, which I'm keeping, and a 95 convertible XJS, which I'm selling to make room for the XKR.

I just wanted to introduce myself and share my fun news.

Enjoy your day! :-)

Old 03-31-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny

I just bought a black/black 2014 convertible XKR. It has 11,000 miles. I bought it from a Lexus dealer. I'm flying to Los Angeles tomorrow morning to get it and then drive it home over the weekend. Super excited!

It's kind of funny, but I worked the deal entirely via text message. Definitely a first for me. What a world we live in...

Some questions for the group - is there anything different in the 2014's from the 2012's? I'm unaware of any changes. Did they fix the waterpump issue by 2014? What about the leather dash shrinkage issue? Is there anything else I should be aware of in a 2014?

Now that I have an XKR again (I used to have an 02), you might see me in this forum from time to time. So I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Danny and I've been passionate about Jags since I was a kid. I've had several XJS's over the years and some XJ's. Currently, I have an 02 XJR, which I'm keeping, and a 95 convertible XJS, which I'm selling to make room for the XKR.

Welcome , good luck and most of all have fun.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny

Congratulations.
Do yourself a HUGE favor. Forget about issues, it will rob you from enjoying this moment that will never happen again. You have a very long time to go before you have worry about anything. If this was a bride, she would be a 24year old, and you are worried about arthritis.
The car is not broken in yet!!

Do worry about putting some paint protecting bra or wrap on it if you are going to drive it back. Any place that wraps cars will be able to do it withing an hour. You can easily remove wrap when you get back. Do the hood and front bumper.

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome Danny!!!! You are going to love the XKR. I bought mine from a Mercedes dealer in Scottsdale, AZ site unseen. Mine was shipped in a covered carrier to North Carolina.

Great news is that your will be under factory warranty for 3 years. With only 11,000 miles on the clock, it is a pretty good bet you will hit the 5 years before the 50,000 mile on the warranty expiration.

I've had my 2011 XKR for 6 months now and it has run flawlessly. Jaguar really did a great job on the reliability of this car. The only problem you will have is to make sure you have a good dentist.....You will need to get your teeth cleaned a lot more often. You will be smiling so much, you will get lots of bugs splattered in your teeth

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

has to be one of the great sports car values! a real sexy hot rod.

turn off the traction control and do a celebratory tire smoker

agreed with the clear bra...minimum entire hood and entire bumper fascia. tape the leading edge of the rockers too.

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Danny
I also own a 2014 XKR Conv. Black on Black with 7100 miles C.P.O. bought in Florida and live here as well. It took me a while before I found the right car.I enjoy putting the top down and go for a ride along the coast.
I agree with putting a clear bra in the front of your new car and put a good coat of wax on it also. good luck and enjoy driving your XKR!

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I've purchased both of my Jag's sight unseen (other than pics) and flew out to drive them home: one from Scottsdale and one from West Palm Beach. Free advice (which is always worth every penny): If you're planning to take 3 days to drive home, make it 4 or 5. In both cases, I drove straight through and wished I'd have squandered a few more days of "me" time seeing the sights instead of blowing by them Mach II with my hair on fire.

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

[QUOTE=XJDanny;1432854]Greetings from Snohomish, Washington!

So Danny, you'll be bringing this beautiful car to Victoria in mid-July for JAGUARS ON THE ISLAND ? This is the largest Jaguar show in North America every year. PM me if you need information or go to www.jaguarcarclub.ca

Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Where in L.A. are you picking it up? Ralphwg and I have met other members in the past picking up cars in town and gotten lunch or a cup of coffee. Let us know and maybe we can all get together and compare notes. Ralph just picked up his new convertible (2nd one) a few weeks back, and I've got my coupe as well as my 2002 convertible.

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Where in L.A. are you picking it up? Ralphwg and I have met other members in the past picking up cars in town and gotten lunch or a cup of coffee. Let us know and maybe we can all get together and compare notes. Ralph just picked up his new convertible (2nd one) a few weeks back, and I've got my coupe as well as my 2002 convertible.

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm picking it up from Lexus of Cerritos. Thank you for the kind offer to meet up. Normally, I'd jump at the chance to meet some wonderful new Jaguar friends but my schedule in LA is pretty tight. I'm from LA originally so I'm already scheduled to visit family and friends the short time I'm here and then I'm hitting the road Saturday morning.

Have a great weekend! :-)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dmike5249
Hi Danny
I also own a 2014 XKR Conv. Black on Black with 7100 miles C.P.O. bought in Florida and live here as well. It took me a while before I found the right car.I enjoy putting the top down and go for a ride along the coast.
I agree with putting a clear bra in the front of your new car and put a good coat of wax on it also. good luck and enjoy driving your XKR!
If it doesn't already have a clear bra, I'll look into it. Thank you for the good advice!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dmike5249
Hi Danny
Do the 2014's have a five year warranty? I thought they were four years. Five would be a happy surprise. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kyle191
Welcome Danny!!!! You are going to love the XKR. I bought mine from a Mercedes dealer in Scottsdale, AZ site unseen. Mine was shipped in a covered carrier to North Carolina.

Great news is that your will be under factory warranty for 3 years. With only 11,000 miles on the clock, it is a pretty good bet you will hit the 5 years before the 50,000 mile on the warranty expiration.

I've had my 2011 XKR for 6 months now and it has run flawlessly. Jaguar really did a great job on the reliability of this car. The only problem you will have is to make sure you have a good dentist.....You will need to get your teeth cleaned a lot more often. You will be smiling so much, you will get lots of bugs splattered in your teeth
Thank you, Kyle! I assumed it was a four year warranty. Five years would be awesome! :-)

Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Do all of us a favor, next time you are at a red light next to a Honda Civic with an annoying muffler...as soon as the light turns green....smash the gas pedal and smoke em'. Enjoy the fast Jag.

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats and welcome!!! I bought my '10 XKR in Georgia via pictures only as well. Flew in with my daughter and took a reasonable drive back...3 days..Great experience, great memories. I have since driven mines from AZ to RI over the last 2 summers. Once with my teenage son, once with my teenage daughter. Had an awesome time. I don't care about the miles....I didn't have the car 5 minutes before I realized I would never sell it...LOL if I have any advice it would be to just enjoy...you've bought an awesome car that will put many a smiles on your face!

XJDanny (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

XJDanny,
How'd it go? Did you pick up the car and was it everything you hoped for? And finally, did you get scared five minutes after getting into the car for the first time and mashing the go pedal to the floor? (with glee across your face)

Old 04-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I didn't have the car 5 minutes before I realized I would never sell it...LOL if I have any advice it would be to just enjoy...you've bought an awesome car that will put many a smiles on your face!
Absolutely the same for me. Did you read my thread on the timing chain. Its just insurance to make sure you replace by 60K or soon after you hear some rattle at start up.

For our new Jaguar owner:

Only use the Castrol oil formulated for Jaguar.

Shell gas is you best friend.

No reason you cant get 180,000 miles before rebuild.

XJDanny (04-03-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

XJDanny,
did you get scared five minutes after getting into the car for the first time and mashing the go pedal to the floor? (with glee across your face)
Thats way I felt. Only I had to drive mine in an ice storm back home, through winding mountain passes.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Welcome "Danny". Hope your pick up and drive home is super duper!
Happy Motoring....

XJDanny (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

XJDanny,
How'd it go? Did you pick up the car and was it everything you hoped for? And finally, did you get scared five minutes after getting into the car for the first time and mashing the go pedal to the floor? (with glee across your face)
The car is amazing. It's exceeded my expectations in every way. A couple minor disappointments in that the dealer had only one key remote and no owner's manual. They reduced the price $300 when I complained about not having two remotes. The Jaguar dealer wants about $750 for a new remote, key, and to program it. I'm looking on eBay for both. Has anyone gotten an extra remote from eBay and had it programmed?

I'm in Sacramento for the night then heading to Portland tomorrow morning for a couple nights.

The car is so powerful, it's kind of hard to believe. And at the same time, it's so quiet with almost no road noise and it rides well. It's definitely exceeded my expectations and they were pretty high!

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2014 Black XKR convertible!