XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is It Just Me Or Is 1st Gear Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Is It Just Me Or Is 1st Gear Useless?

I used to go down to first if I want to feel the rush of the beast. But I've come to the conclusion that the car might be faster launching from 2nd! In fact, I launched from 2nd yesterday and it still lit the tires - but it held the same gear past 60 as we eliminate the shift too.

So much effort to feather 1st gear we might as well bypass it all together! Certainly not a complaint - just a testament to what a stonking motor this is

Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

its not that its useless, its just that Jaguar doesnt use it in its normal use.

ive noticed this as well and tried to come up with my own answers
- in terms of comfort...starting in second is better, less "launchy" for the everyday driver
- better for effeciency.

a lot of other companies do that as well. I wonder if the car is in Sport mode and you launch it, if it will kick down into first

Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I know it doesn't automatically start in 1st. Nor should it. But even if I'm in full manual and want best launch. I'm saying I don't think 1st would make the car any faster.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Must be a ZF thing rather than Jaguar.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
I used to go down to first if I want to feel the rush of the beast. But I've come to the conclusion that the car might be faster launching from 2nd! In fact, I launched from 2nd yesterday and it still lit the tires - but it held the same gear past 60 as we eliminate the shift too.

So much effort to feather 1st gear we might as well bypass it all together! Certainly not a complaint - just a testament to what a stonking motor this is
I agree. I never use first gear. My car really struggles for traction in 2nd gear, so 1st gear is a waste of time (in addition, rpm's climb quickly). It seems to me, that when you put the car in sport auto, it starts out in 2nd as well, so I'm not sure why there is a first.

I mentioned in an old post that I wished they would have made 2nd gear into 1st gear, so they could have shortened the ratios of the gears or added a tall 6th gear (1-1.5k rpm's at 75mph) to improve fuel economy.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I launched from 1st with the traction control fully off recently......just to see what it could do. I planted my right foot and boom i was in the red zone in a fraction of a sec. The car changed the gear for me before i did. I always launch in 2nd. Reckon that would be the quickest/best way to launch. I am trying to get some time away from work to do some 1/4 mile tests. Try to find out the best combo for optimum launch.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

can't wait to hear launch results. haven't launched the car yet. any other tips for doing so? was never an automatic trans guy until the jag's.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...maybe i need to read the manual ...however when you guys refer to 'launch' are you talking about a specific launch control mode like on the Nissan GTR? ...or are you just talking about stopmin' on it from a stand still?

As for 1st gear ...agreed, pretty useless. 2nd gear has a longer pull and gets you going better then 1st does.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The first gear in cars is officially designed as a gear to move the car easier from standing still. There's less torque on the transmission and clutch plates because of the higher ratio (an auto transmission also has clutch plates) The result is less wear on the driveline.
So even when you feel there's no use in the acceleration aspect, you might want to do yourself a favour by putting less strain on your transmission. It will live longer.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Treu Dutchy

If I'm just cruisin' I wont bother with 1st, but have 'adjusted' my driving style and now use 1st more frequently.
Makes a nice noise in 1st when the traction control is off and you stomp on it!!! ;-)

Old 04-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dutch07xk
The first gear in cars is officially designed as a gear to move the car easier from standing still. There's less torque on the transmission and clutch plates because of the higher ratio (an auto transmission also has clutch plates) The result is less wear on the driveline.
So even when you feel there's no use in the acceleration aspect, you might want to do yourself a favour by putting less strain on your transmission. It will live longer.
so you meant it is good in sport mode using first gear to start?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but my XKR starts from first in D and S modes (automatic). Count the shifts as you accelerate to highway speed!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I don't know about you guys, but my XKR starts from first in D and S modes (automatic). Count the shifts as you accelerate to highway speed!
But in sport manual then? if you use the paddles arrive at a stop, you will re-start in second automatically,( I meant if you forget to downshift manually) specially due to the gear box downshifting for you in manual mode anyway. it's what mine does. I often use the paddle but quickly I beleive i am in automatic mode and forget to downshift, the car does it for me, very well, Thank you! but then it start again from second gear, and if i need to start in first i do need to downshift one more gear manually, what the car won't do for me when it does downshift for me, when you forgot to do it.

Its probably better downshifting manually to first gear once you are stopped as while driving it really sounds awkward, no?

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-25-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
But in sport manual then? if you use the paddles arrive at a stop, you will re-start in second automatically,( I meant if you forget to downshift manually) specially due to the gear box downshifting for you in manual mode anyway. it's what mine does. I often use the paddle but quickly I beleive i am in automatic mode and forget to downshift, the car does it for me, very well, Thank you! but then it start again from second gear, and if i need to start in first i do need to downshift one more gear manually, what the car won't do for me when it does downshift for me, when you forgot to do it.
It will put it in second, because that's the highest gear that it can start from. I will have to doublecheck, but if left to its own devices in full automatic mode (D), I'm pretty sure the car starts in first gear. This is different than it was in my X350.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

It will put it in second, because that's the highest gear that it can start from. I will have to doublecheck, but if left to its own devices in full automatic mode (D), I'm pretty sure the car starts in first gear. This is different than it was in my X350.
you counted 5 shifts then?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
you counted 5 shifts then?
Exactly. I will doublecheck--I did this test months ago when it came up in another thread. Someone else said the same thing (that it always starts in first gear) and I didn't believe them. So I tried it out myself, and sure enough, the car starts in first gear!

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

so it is only related to manual mode if you do not downshift to first manually, the car will start (or stay) in second gear, since in sport mode you may not manually downshift to first as its sounds weird (while slowing down/ stopping), you do not do it while you are stopped then you have tendancy to only use second to launch. So we are actually "saving" our transmission in D mode.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

I believe this to be the case, yes. It shifts into 2nd as you come to a stop in manual mode (if you don't downshift into 1st) as this is probably the highest gear it is allowed to start in and is closest to the gear you left it in.

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I believe this to be the case, yes. It shifts into 2nd as you come to a stop in manual mode (if you don't downshift into 1st) as this is probably the highest gear it is allowed to start in and is closest to the gear you left it in.
thanks it seems its clear now, good we talked about it. I don't want mess the transmission, as I feel using the paddles sport mode, dynamic etc, puts a lot on the transmission, maybe i am wrong

Last edited by jagxk2008; 04-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Must be a ZF thing rather than Jaguar.
Porsche's PDK does the same.

Originally Posted by muncher
I launched from 1st with the traction control fully off recently......just to see what it could do. I planted my right foot and boom i was in the red zone in a fraction of a sec.
That's been my experience as well, but with traction control engaged.

I personally like the first gear launches as it just nudges you back into the seat.

Quick Reply: Is It Just Me Or Is 1st Gear Useless?