XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Key fob - battery dead? No option

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key fob - battery dead? No option

Just purchased my 2009 XKR and realized that if the key fob battery goes dead you can not start the car. On my 2004 MB E500 I had a start button but if the battery died you still had an ignition slot where you inserted the fob Just like a key. Nothing like that in the XKR or am I missing something. What kind of engineering is that? No back-up? Time to start carrying batteries like so many extra quarters...how dumb is that?

Fwa17476
2009 XKR PE (pretty but dumb)

Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fwa17476
Just purchased my 2009 XKR and realized that if the key fob battery goes dead you can not start the car. On my 2004 MB E500 I had a start button but if the battery died you still had an ignition slot where you inserted the fob Just like a key. Nothing like that in the XKR or am I missing something. What kind of engineering is that? No back-up? Time to start carrying batteries like so many extra quarters...how dumb is that?

Fwa17476
2009 XKR PE (pretty but dumb)
Not true, there is a slot under the center storage box that you can place the SmartKey in to start the car. It is described in the owner's manual. If your car is missing the manual, you can download it from https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/user/loginForm

Also, this section of the forum is for the 2006 and earlier cars. One of the moderators will probably move this post to the correct section.

The following users liked this post:
Fwa17476 (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

So many of the questions asked on this forum could be simply resolved if the questioners read their owner's manual! That is what the manual is for. And having a modern car like the XK without having the manual is, well, not good, to say the least. Other adjectives could be used.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
NBCat (02-28-2015), ralphwg (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

No manual but thanks for that sincere message to a newbie owner.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Handbook download

Fwa17476,

The first "sticky" on this Forum is titled "Handbook download" and you can access your Owner's Handbook online. Here's the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-10580/page2/ See my post #27 for details.

If this was helpful, please click the "Thanks" button on the bottom right of this post.

Stuart

Fwa17476 (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default 2009 XKR Portfolio Registry

Fwa17476,

I noted that you are now the proud owner of a 2009 XKR Portfolio! Congrats! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Because 2009 XKR Portfolio models are rare, Richzak started a Registry for owners to list their cars with their colors, options, and accessories. Here's the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gistery-96830/ Be sure to sign up and post pictures of your car!

Stuart

Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

That's OK, I read mine cover to cover, and it still took me two years to figure out how to work the seat warmers.

You will also want to look up how to get in your car if the key fob dies, and how to open the boot if the car battery dies (to jump start it).

Old 03-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

This is a post i put up a few weeks ago it went,
Exclamation Car wouldn't start, then ok!
Before i start the battery is a new agm, and voltage is as normal . Allways on cteck charger at night. So ruleing this out,
So started car and went to collect my daughter from college. Lights on and wipers as raining. Hour and a half journey, stopped for fuel on the way, no start issues. Collected her, stop and start, no issues, went to her friends, stop start again no issues. Then about half a mile from home stopped again at our local store for some items. Came out, thought i had the car locked but when i pressed the fob to open nothing happened, was able to open the car door, but everything was locked, couldn't open boot, passenger door was able to open but windows wouldn't move so we sat in and left the doors slightly open in case we got locked in. If i pressed the lights button on the fob they worked on and off but nothing else. Inside nothing, pressed button and break, no go. Put the fob into the smart slot and still nothing, then the touch screen gave one flash, jag logo and off. There was no warning or lights flashing. Decided to go home for the spare fob, so left my daughter in the car. The 2 fobs had new batterys fitted on the first of january this year. So when i returned the car alarm was going on and off, was able to turn it off with the fob i've being using, my daughter said alarm went on and the touch screen came on when i was just gone abut 5 minutes. Car started , and everything ok. Came home checked agm battery and over 13 volts. Don't know what happened, have started it a few times since to see will it start. Everything turns on as it should, like touch screen when opening the doors or pressing the fob. Puzzled

Well the car hasn't done it since, i did put the fob in the slot and nothing still didn't happen, it's still a mystery. Who ever designed the electric end of these car should should have supplied trouble shooting charts.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Before i start the battery is a new agm, and voltage is as normal . Allways on cteck charger at night. So ruleing this out,
So started car and went to collect my daughter from college. Lights on and wipers as raining. Hour and a half journey, stopped for fuel on the way, no start issues. Collected her, stop and start, no issues, went to her friends, stop start again no issues. Then about half a mile from home stopped again at our local store for some items. Came out, thought i had the car locked but when i pressed the fob to open nothing happened, was able to open the car door, but everything was locked, couldn't open boot, passenger door was able to open but windows wouldn't move so we sat in and left the doors slightly open in case we got locked in. If i pressed the lights button on the fob they worked on and off but nothing else. Inside nothing, pressed button and break, no go. Put the fob into the smart slot and still nothing, then the touch screen gave one flash, jag logo and off. There was no warning or lights flashing. Decided to go home for the spare fob, so left my daughter in the car. The 2 fobs had new batterys fitted on the first of january this year. So when i returned the car alarm was going on and off, was able to turn it off with the fob i've being using, my daughter said alarm went on and the touch screen came on when i was just gone abut 5 minutes. Car started , and everything ok. Came home checked agm battery and over 13 volts. Don't know what happened, have started it a few times since to see will it start. Everything turns on as it should, like touch screen when opening the doors or pressing the fob. Puzzled

Well the car hasn't done it since, i did put the fob in the slot and nothing still didn't happen, it's still a mystery. Who ever designed the electric end of these car should should have supplied trouble shooting charts.
And us old time Jag owners thought "the prince of darkness" was dead.

powerhouse (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Fwa17476, congrats on the new car and don't worry about feeling dumb.

I had a 97 before I got my 07 so figured I new them fairly well. Brought her home and detailed her only to find out opening and closing doors etc. Drained the battery and wouldn't start. The X150 series is very battery intensive as you will find if you look through the forum.

One member suggested keeping a couple batteries in the glove box (CR2032) which I do and have a CTEK MUS4300 battery charger I throw her on on the weekends. Mine is a daily driver and gets to rest and charge on the weekends in winter. The display between the gauges should let you know the FOB battery is low, mine did.

And yes there is a slot in the center counsel for the FOB but it the FOB only goes in one way and prefer not to use it if possible, cause it might not want to let it go. Don't pull up on it, you have to push down first and it will raise slightly, then remove.

Do some research on the Forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy her for many years, good luck and congrats.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse

Key here is it was raining.