XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The learning curve continues- day 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking The learning curve continues- day 2

So, I didn't buy the 2011 XK due to high miles (83,000). Figured buying my 2008 XK with 42,000 miles would be much better....less problems, and all. Plus the 4.2 engine being tried and true. And so on. So off on the purchase event.

First... not able to smog car because car hadn't been driven enough miles. Took dealer three days to sort that out.

Second.... go to pick up car, and they only had the one key/remote. Get in the car to start it, and a warning light comes up saying remote too low. Instant lesson in how to plug key into the car to start it until you can get to a new 2032 battery and figure out how to take the remote apart.

Third... take my wife 35 miles over a twisty two lane highway today for our weekly run with friends. Goes great getting there. We run, come bacl to the car, and the top won't go down. Several tries later I finally figure out the car is telling me that the luggage cover in the boot needs to be repositioned. Three positions later, the top goes down.

Fourth.... four miles later, and before we even start over the hazardous mountain twisty freeway to home, the vehicle advises me that the Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault has occurred. I find a gas/petrol station and pump up all the tires to a few pounds above cold tire rating (for the 18 inch tires, but mine has 19 inch tires on it). No flat tires, so I SLOWLY drive home, gingerly going around curves. Got home fine. No flat, but even after hitting the reset button after 30 miles of riding on higher pressures, and fifteen minutes stationary/engine off, the TPMS still showing failure. Figure it is probably the module as it is not picking out any one tire.

So THAT'S THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF OWNERSHIP......... other than that, and not yet buying a CTEK battery charger things are great :-) Car was a single owner car, cared for at the dealers and cosmetically is in great shape, with low miles, owned by someone who's home address signifies that he would have the resources to keep the vehicle up.......so what is this, the 9 year blues??????

Did I mention that once I got the top down, put it in Sport, and determined that I didn't have a flat tire, that the car is really fun to drive in the twisties? :-)

Last edited by 2011XK; 10-22-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I suspect that you might need 4 new TPMS sensors, as their batteries usually don't last 10 years. Any tire shop should be able to scan each wheel and determine if the sensors are transmitting. Search this Forum for a thread by Richzak about aftermarket TPMS sensors that are less costly than those from a Jaguar dealer.

Hope you enjoy yours as music as I enjoy mine!

The following users liked this post:
2011XK (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto. Also key fob warning came up for me right before the cars battery finally crapped out. Came up with a new fob battery.

TPMS is just a warning to see if the tire's going flat and if it still handles the same the damn .gov nanny monitor is borked (again). If I ever dig into the instrument cluster I know which icons are getting blacked out already. Air bag and TPMS. Damn annoying.

2011XK (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep...new battery is on the shopping list

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Ditto. Also key fob warning came up for me right before the cars battery finally crapped out. Came up with a new fob battery.

TPMS is just a warning to see if the tire's going flat and if it still handles the same the damn .gov nanny monitor is borked (again). If I ever dig into the instrument cluster I know which icons are getting blacked out already. Air bag and TPMS. Damn annoying.

I figure 9 years without me owning the car probably is reason enough to buy a new battery. I see several "battery serviced" during regular service entries on Carfax, but not replaced, so I figure it is time. Hope it can wait long enough for me to get a Certek in, as I would like to put (or have put depending on my comfort level wrenching) the lead on at the same time I replace the battery. Sounds like the TPMS is a bit more complicated with anything from individual sensors, to the control module, needing to be replaced. I think I read somewhere that a dealer could "turn off" the TPMS somewhere in the software. I don't see the value. A blow out won't be stopped by the warning, and I'm willing to pull out the tire pressure gauge once a week and check pressures manually. I would be just as happy without the system.

NBCat (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Unfortunately TPMS is a mandatory federal law and required on all vehicles under 10,000 lbs. It's part of the various nanny laws. It came into effect in all 2007 models sold in the US. That being the case a dealer cannot turn the system off. Write your congress critter , lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
2011XK (10-22-2017), NBCat (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

It's an easy DIY job to attach a CTEK, particularly if you use the remote battery terminals. They're easier to reach than the battery itself. See: www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/ctek-3300-battery-charger-installation-107738/

2011XK (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

You can also use the remote positive terminal behind the LH rear wheel and find an earth/ground point on the body for the negative terminal. This allows the battery tender to work without the need to have the wire coming through the hatch seal.

2011XK (10-22-2017)