Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Here's some photos from today

Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Not the usual dash problem

Well, I've read this entire thread and I'm sorry to hear that this issue exists. I think I may be affected by this problem also--but I'm not sure. My particular problem is not mentioned at all in any of the previous posts. Instead of an issue with the leather coming detached at the windscreen or around corners or speakers, mine is occurring at the top of the center A/C vent. It looks like the edge just popped out from behind the vent. There is plenty of material (I believe!) to simply staple it back in place if I can get the vent grill out. My question to the knowledgeable DIY'ers is this: Is there a way to take the vent out of the dash without having to take the dash out?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Wouldn't it be effective and easier to just apply glue to the piece that is sticking out then tuck it back in using a screwdriver or like instrument?

Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

I believe that you should be able to remove the center vent, but it would require removing trim around touch screen and AC controls, then removing screen and and controls first.... Not a hard job, you just want to be mindful of not scratching anything... Plenty of information on how to pull the dash which requires these steps, you just don't have to go through with pulling the entire dash...

Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsclark
My husbands first suggestion was a needle with adhesive.
I had that same idea, wonder if it would work. Especially thinking of the door panels where I see many XKs have the leather bubbled (including mine since I bought it).

Anyone ever try this?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I remember when buying a leather suite 15yrs ago I was told to go with Scottish leather as it was thicker and had less blemishes than Italian leather...plus it was built for the UK climate.

I appreciate that indoor furniture isn't a good comparison but 15yrs later it still looks like new.

If Jaguar perhaps had used American cowhide from Bovina for cars destined for America, perhaps it wouldn't have had a problem with American heat and humidity...and of course you guys get a lot more sunshine!

Hey but what do I know...am on a hiding* to nothing most of the time

*see what I did there?

Old 11-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Radar
Well, I've read this entire thread and I'm sorry to hear that this issue exists. I think I may be affected by this problem also--but I'm not sure. My particular problem is not mentioned at all in any of the previous posts. Instead of an issue with the leather coming detached at the windscreen or around corners or speakers, mine is occurring at the top of the center A/C vent. It looks like the edge just popped out from behind the vent. There is plenty of material (I believe!) to simply staple it back in place if I can get the vent grill out. My question to the knowledgeable DIY'ers is this: Is there a way to take the vent out of the dash without having to take the dash out?

Thanks for any insight!

My dash did the exact same thing in the same spot. I tried everything to stretch it back. I hate to say it.. I think the damage is done as it’s already shrunk. Removing the dash isn’t as bad as it sounds. You can get it reupholstered in Vinyl for around $500-$600.

Joe

Old 12-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Here's the restored dash. I took the trim, components and vent out and Encore Vinyl & Leather Repair here in San Antonio did the rest. They used contact cement to fasten the leather back down to the deck and then some industrial strength superglue to harden the edge of the leather and adhere it to the deck under the vent. There wasn't enough leather to use staples but I will be surprised if anything comes loose. For insurance, I had the front window tinted with Hüper Optik ceramic film and some darker Wincos ceramic on the other three sides--and I replaced my old sunshade with an OEM custom fit shade.

The following 3 users liked this post by Old Radar:
d a (08-17-2019), Queen and Country (12-23-2018), TexasTraveler (12-23-2018)
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by quaker13
I live in the Washington DC area and spoke to 2 upholstery shops about this problem.

1.Recommends removing the front windshield in it's entirety and do a pull and reglue ($650)
2. The other did an Aston Martin that suffered from the same proablem at $2500 and said I should probably just go through the dealer since it would so expensive.

Thoughts
Where did you go to get the first quote? The bubbles in the dash are driving me nuts and the local shop I went to quoted $2,000 (Loudoun County).

Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Received 298 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
Where did you go to get the first quote? The bubbles in the dash are driving me nuts and the local shop I went to quoted $2,000 (Loudoun County).
I’m having mine done this week at “The Trim Shop” in Newark, DE. $495.00 to remove windshield, remove bubbles and staple the edges.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:33 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What was the cost at Encore Vinyl & Leather Repair in San Antonio.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by d a
What was the cost at Encore Vinyl & Leather Repair in San Antonio.
$85.00 Still looks perfect today!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 XK dash bubble AND split seams near windshield

Yes, car is 10 years old, and had been in Texas, Florida. Not expecting warranty replacement. But what I’ve learned reading this forum and talking with dealer and independents. The Jag wasn’t designed for hot weather (even though it’s a convertible meant for summer fun). It should have been designed with materials and colors better suited for use in sunshine. Stretching isn’t really a good option: you have to remove the windshield to get at it, or remove the dash, for results that likely won’t last very long, if it can be done at all. An independent quoted me a minimum of $4.000 to pull dash, remove leather, install new cover and reinstall dash. Ugh. Not the only design defect, the rear window is coming loose from the top and there’s no long lasting way to reattach it. Only option is a new top (yet the top is in good condition. The rear window problem is as prevalent as the dashboard problem.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSteffens
Yes, car is 10 years old, and had been in Texas, Florida. Not expecting warranty replacement. But what I’ve learned reading this forum and talking with dealer and independents. The Jag wasn’t designed for hot weather (even though it’s a convertible meant for summer fun). It should have been designed with materials and colors better suited for use in sunshine. Stretching isn’t really a good option: you have to remove the windshield to get at it, or remove the dash, for results that likely won’t last very long, if it can be done at all. An independent quoted me a minimum of $4.000 to pull dash, remove leather, install new cover and reinstall dash. Ugh. Not the only design defect, the rear window is coming loose from the top and there’s no long lasting way to reattach it. Only option is a new top (yet the top is in good condition. The rear window problem is as prevalent as the dashboard problem.
Brian,
Have you read this whole thread? And searched this forum?
Others have had their dash fixed for much less, and you can fix your rear window yourself.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Here's the link to the easy DIY repair to reattach the glass window of your convertible top using Rhino Glue. Mine is still holding up fine.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ble-top-97478/

Old 08-20-2019, 10:01 AM
d a

How hard was it to take the trim and vents out? Are instructions in a manual or online? Thanks.

Don
2010 XKR Convertible

Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 PM

There are several threads about pulling the dash. The trim and vents come out at an early stage of the dash removal, so you can follow the procedure as far as you need without removing the whole thing.
Here is an example:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-how-172398/

The following users liked this post:
d a (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM
d a

Thanks. I'm in San Antonio also and hope to have the folks you mentioned have a go at mine in the next two weeks.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Good luck!
Where in SA are you so I can keep an eye out for you. Rush hours you can find my wife burning up 281 between 1604 and Ft Sam.

The following users liked this post:
d a (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 AM
d a

I'm over near Converse off Walzem. Since I retired I'm all over the city from time to time. Just got this about two weeks ago so still learning how to speak XKR. When I had my 94 XJS I spent time with the local Jag folks but not many were DIYers and not many could talk V12 so I haven't rejoined the club as of yet. What I want to do is get the 90K or 10 year service (my baseline) in a couple of weeks from now and go from there. Like most vets we do spend time at Ft Sam too. Hope to see ya'll around once I put the beast on the road.

Quick Reply: Leather on dash 'pulling'