XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

list some things you have learned about your xk/xkr that you have learned since havin

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default list some things you have learned about your xk/xkr that you have learned since havin

saw this idea on another forrum thought we should have one as well guys

Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM

Easy. The night it was coming off the flatbed, I noticed one of the backup lights was out. Started to take it to the dealership for a fix the next day when I read in the owner's manual that my XKR only has one because it's extra bright.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least in my car, never top off the gas tank even $.25 after the first click of the pump. Every time I did this my check engine light would come on at 3/4 tank. Dealer had the car 3 times and never could find the fault in the evaporative emission system.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I learned that this car cannot be owned without a hand held engine code reader/resetter!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

I have learned to turn off the radio when I park where there is low clearance. That the boot carries one suitcase when I hope to lower the top. That the XK is a far better chassis compared to the XK8.

I really enjoy the XK

Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've learned many things in my 1 year of ownership on my XKR:
  • keep a towel handy in case you get the "green shower" of hydraulic fluid from the convertible latch
  • never park in a Wal-mart parking lot
  • if you have a normal day job, removing swirl marks from your paint will take a week of work with the DA polisher, but the results are fantastic!
  • get over the fact that you can't update your NAV DVD
  • Hankook V12 tires are awesome!
  • You enjoy going with the top down, more than your wife!
  • It's really fun to beat everyone else off the line at a red light without even flooring it!
  • Two sets of clubs fit nicely in the trunk!
  • You never get sick of hearing "nice car"!
  • with the help of experts on this forum, you can tackle projects yourself you never thought possible
  • and finally ... I never thought a car could provide so much fun and enjoyment. Rock on my little Jaguar!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've learned that the Jag cup holders design has not improved since 1997, and ditto to the antenna comment. I've also learned that there is a tiny delay between pushing on the accelerator and the car actually engaging in first gear, which seems like a transmission ECU glitch to me but what do I know...

Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WldCat
I've learned that the Jag cup holders design has not improved since 1997, and ditto to the antenna comment. I've also learned that there is a tiny delay between pushing on the accelerator and the car actually engaging in first gear, which seems like a transmission ECU glitch to me but what do I know...
You obviously were not driving a XJ in 97 the old XJ cup holders from 96-04 were just horrible. After owning 3 XJ's over that time it took me over a year after selling my 03 to stop reaching for my coffee cup on every highway on/off ramp to keep the cup from spilling.

Last edited by xkrmd; 09-27-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM

I think you misunderstood my statement. I said they haven't improved at all, which implies that they were horrible then and are horrible today. The cupholders in my MY97 XJ6 VDP must have been designed by a complete moron.

Originally Posted by xkrmd
You obviously were not driving a XJ in 97 the old XJ cup holders from 96-04 were just horrible. After owning 3 XJ's over that time it took me over a year after selling my 03 to stop reaching for my coffee cup on every highway on/off ramp to keep the cup from spilling.

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 AM

I will also add that since I've had my XK convertible, I've learned that there are a lot of "haters" out there. I've never had so many people attempt to cut me off, not allow me to change lanes, pull in front of me just to slow down, etc., like I have since I bought this car in late July. I have to show a TREMENDOUS amount of restraint behind the wheel these days.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Diane,
I know what you mean. That happened to me just last Sunday. I'm driving along on beautiful day with the top down on a four lane highway in Kansas City. Not much traffic; I'm in the right lane, not blocking anyone, when out of nowhere some dude in an old beat-up white sedan passes me on the left, drifts in front of me, slows down, then flips me off in his rear-view mirror. WTF!!!!

I so wanted to get the supercharger ignited and blow his doors off, but I was driving with my daughter and decided RESTRAINT was the better course.

There are a lot of idiots on the road! You never know what you're dealing with, so better to just LET IT GO!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by D-squared
Easy. The night it was coming off the flatbed, I noticed one of the backup lights was out. Started to take it to the dealership for a fix the next day when I read in the owner's manual that my XKR only has one because it's extra bright.
You know, it is amazing how much you can learn about your car if you only read the Owner's Manual! If you're reading this, you can read the manual on line. Here's the link for the rear fog lamp:
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extf...1356/index.htm
Depending on market, the single rear fog lamp is located on either the rear left-hand or right-hand side of the vehicle.The rear fog lamp can only be switched on if the low beamheadlamps are on or if the side lamps and front fog lamps are switched on. Press the switch to turn on the rear fog lamp. Pressing the switch again will turn off the rear fog lamp.
Note: Both front and rear fog lamps will be turned off when the ignition is turned off,but will not be illuminated when the ignition is turned on again. The rear fog lamp should only be used when visibility is severely restricted by fog.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Steve.c3h8
I've learned many things in my 1 year of ownership on my XKR:
  • keep a towel handy in case you get the "green shower" of hydraulic fluid from the convertible latch
  • never park in a Wal-mart parking lot
  • if you have a normal day job, removing swirl marks from your paint will take a week of work with the DA polisher, but the results are fantastic!
  • get over the fact that you can't update your NAV DVD
  • Hankook V12 tires are awesome!
  • You enjoy going with the top down, more than your wife!
  • It's really fun to beat everyone else off the line at a red light without even flooring it!
  • Two sets of clubs fit nicely in the trunk!
  • You never get sick of hearing "nice car"!
  • with the help of experts on this forum, you can tackle projects yourself you never thought possible
  • and finally ... I never thought a car could provide so much fun and enjoyment. Rock on my little Jaguar!
I wish even one set of clubs would fit in the xkr... kind of defeats the purpose of having a GT car... good thing it fits luggage quite well.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who don't know... If you are a Jaguar owner you never have a towing hitch as you will always have someone on the payroll who will tow whatever needs towing. Also if you need to drink something (have a cup of tea) you will never do this while you are driving. You stop on the side of the road and take the Thermos Flask out of the "boot" and and have a leisurely cup of tea and a break, sometimes you will also take out the picnic hamper and have something to eat. This is all part of the Jaguar experience... Cup holders will never improve as they are not required!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

things I've learned...

non supercharged 07 XK will spin the rear wheels in a straight line (old 97 XK8 wouldn't unless it was wet)

the bottom corners of a Mitsubishi Challenger (SUV) door are really sharp - but try explaining to the person who parks next to you every day that the dents in the door (at the exact same height as the bottom of the challenger door) can only have come from their car and they'll deny it.

It stops really, really fast with the trans in DS (due to the way it steps down through the gears). It pays to check your rear-view mirror before applying brakes.