XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Logo Puddle Lights for 2014 XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Logo Puddle Lights for 2014 XK

I have been reading several threads concerning logo puddle lights for Jaguar.
I know there are basically three different types.

1) Replaces the existing puddle light on the bottom of the door. No need to drill holes and wires directly to the existing wiring. It replaces the factory light unit. I know this style exist for other Jag models but I have not seen one for the XK.

2) requires drilling a hole in the bottom f the door near the existing factory light and is wired into the existing light. I have seen several members have implemented this style with relative ease.

3) battery operated style requiring no wiring that I assume are designed to be located by "stick on" in several locations.

My new Mercedes has the logo lights located under the mirror and is activated when the remote opener is used as you approach the vehicle. The present ones I find for Jaguars are only activated when the door is opened. My 2014 xk has lights beneath the door mirrors that active with the remote.

QUESTIONS:

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket logo puddle light that would replace the under mirror factory unit? ( This would be my preference.)
Second choice would be one that replaces the factory unit in the bottom of the door. Any recommendations on this style?
My third choice would be the one requiring a drilling near the factory unit in the bottom of the door.

I sure would like one that replaces the under mirror unit similar to my Mercedes but I'm not sure if one even exist.
Opinions and comments welcomed.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Under the mirror is too high from the ground and the logo would be mostly on the door and unidentifiable. Never seen any like that anyway. The ones that replace the factory light, at least on the XKs, aim at an angle and distort the image.
Drilling a small hole in plastic to mount the under-door ones don't really destroy anything, as it's a very clean install in a very inconspicuous location. That's where mine are. Looks perfect, even while laying on the ground and looking up.
Only major problem nowadays...... the Leaper or Growler logos are VERY hard to find. Probably something to do with copyright or something.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Thanks Cee Jay. Apparently they are OEM on my 2017 Mercedes. I really like them mirror mounted as they light as soon as the remote is used.
The replacement unit for the factory installed is available for the X-Type jaguar only as far as I can determine. Too bad, they just snap right in.
I have found both leaper and growler available in the under door design which you have.
Do you recall where you purchased your. I see MrKustom in Chicago has them but only in Leaper. Looks like an easy install. I just have to decide which one I prefer. Do you have the leaper or the growler?

Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The new E-Pace has got that feature and it looks like it comes from the mirror. Unfortunately it is the 'cub' logo though.

Attached Thumbnails Logo Puddle Lights for 2014 XK-logo.jpg  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto, most I've seen are mounted in the mirror and seem to piggyback off the interior lamp so they come on once the doors are unlocked at night. Seems kind of pointless to have 'puddle' lights that only work when the door is open. At that point while getting in you're already in the puddle.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Like Cee Jay, I've got the under-door mounts. They were appallingly inexpensive, the hole is unobtrusive, and the connection to the factory puddle lights was pretty simple to make. Plus, I like the way it looks at night. Does it provide pre-entry warning of actual puddle? No. Does it look cool? Yaaaas!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

I have the same Logo as LoudHogRider, White Leaper with the Red Lettering. I got mine off eBay (need to get them with "CREE" LEDs) for I think $12 free shipping. I haven't seen them on eBay for quite awhile now. It's good you found a spot for purchase. Also, I already have the under-mirror puddle lights to avoid stepping in muck. They don't interfere with the logo lights at all.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Cee Jay,
I received my lights in the mail today and I have a few question for you concerning installation.
Did you drill without removing the door card? It looks like it can be done with care but there are a few plastic ribs to avoid.
Exactly where did you install under the door.? Between the end of the door and opening for the existing light or did you drill toward the middle of the door? If so how far away from the existing opening?
How did you Wire into existing unit? Spliced into wires or soldered at terminal?
I obviously want to do this the easiest way. I thought I read somewhere that someone drilled without removing the door card. Hopefully someone will contribute their method.
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

I sliced off a tiny bit of the insulation on the door light and soldered to the bare spots, then taped and put a small ziptie around the tape (because tape ALWAYS unravels).
I just drilled straight up, no ribs that I encountered. Once you pop the door light out of the hole, (literally takes one second) you can see/feel inside to ease any concerns about drilling into anything you wish to avoid.
This is the spot I chose, then I used metal tape over part of the door light to block the light on the logo's spot....

Last edited by Cee Jay; 08-08-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: cuz
Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Thanks Cee Jay.
I'll give it a shot as you described.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 PM

I just finished my install and I am pleased with the results however, I have learned that I could not wire both the logo lights and the OEM door courtesy lights to come on together. I soldered the connections and the lights are crisp and clear. Apparently the 7watt Cree fixture can not be supported in addition to the OEM light. They both work individually but not together. When wired together, they both come on for a second then both go out. It must be to much drain on the system for both.
All of the previous threads I have read involve older model vehicles. My 2014 xk must have some difference in the wiring.
So it is one or the other. I'm happy with the present logo only.
I suspect they won't last forever and when they go out out I'll replace them or go back to the OEM.

Attached Thumbnails Logo Puddle Lights for 2014 XK-img_0515.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Weird, man. Glad you got at least something out of it. Is your door light an LED bulb or an incandescent? If incandescent, try putting a cheapo LED lamp in the socket. The draw will be MUCH less.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:39 PM

Problem solved!
The OEM courtesy light is an incandescent GE 7546F 5 watt, festoon shaped bulb.
I replaced it with a LED Sylvania 6461, .5 watt, festoon shaped bulb.
Both are working corrrectly now.
I assume the OEM 5 wat plus the Cree 7 watt were too much.
The new LED bulbs were 7.99 each. Almost as much as the logo lights but worth additional cost.

I'm wondering if the 3 watt LED bulb, available all over the internet, would have worked with the OEM 5 watt.

I prefer to have the brighter logo light and change the OEM courtesy light.
Thanks Cee Jay for your input.
This closes this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Logo Puddle Lights for 2014 XK-img_0518.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

You will get so many compliments from such a simple mod. It will surprise you. Well done.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanL
I just finished my install and I am pleased with the results however, I have learned that I could not wire both the logo lights and the OEM door courtesy lights to come on together. I soldered the connections and the lights are crisp and clear. Apparently the 7watt Cree fixture can not be supported in addition to the OEM light. They both work individually but not together. When wired together, they both come on for a second then both go out. It must be to much drain on the system for both.
All of the previous threads I have read involve older model vehicles. My 2014 xk must have some difference in the wiring.
So it is one or the other. I'm happy with the present logo only.
I suspect they won't last forever and when they go out out I'll replace them or go back to the OEM.
Looks real nice !! Can you post a link to where you got them ?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 PM

Purchased from mrkustom.com.
They are in Chicago.

Cee Jay (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Holy crap, those ones are expensive. The $30 "sale" price isn't totally outrageous, but that "regular" price is asinine. Got mine for $14. Course I can't find those ones anymore. You may have found the ONLY place to get the leaper. I found Growlers for $16/fs but no more Leapers. Only 5 watt also.
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/2x-...ghts/469931753

Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I found the leaper yesterday after you mentioned it.
But could not find the girly red ones I like.
2x JAGUAR Cree LED 4th Gen Ghost Shadow Car Door Logo Puddle Lights | eBay

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM

That $30 sale has been out there for at least two months since I've been looking at them.
I didn't want to fool with eBay or Chinese dealer. I liked the idea of dealing with US company that I can talk to on the phone. Placed a call, ordered them with a credit card and received them in the mail two days later. In my opinion it was worth a few bucks more. Plus I got the brighter 7 watts. I didn't anticipate having to change the OEM lights but all is well now.

Cee Jay (08-11-2017)