Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

looking for advice on expensive repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for advice on expensive repair estimate

2008 XKR convertible

So, I was driving my car to the dealership for an unrelated problem (control panel screen wasn't coming up), and on the way the engine overheating warning came up, so I pulled over immediately and called a tow truck. I soon realized that the place I pulled over was a bit dangerous (twisting on-ramp between two highways), so I tried to start the car to move it a bit to a safer place, but it wouldn't even start. It took the tow truck driver about 2 hrs, so I waited a good hour for the engine to cool down and I checked the coolant and it was completely empty. There were no other check engine warning lights or anything prior to that.

The dealership confirmed the intake hoses / grommet (?) had leaks, which would explain the no coolant and engine overheat, but said they need to open the engine up to proceed further. They quoted me 13hrs labor and ~$2000 just to open the engine and see what is wrong. They said that best case it is just a head gasket (~$3000 part), so total repair would be ~$7000 (13 hrs labor to open @ $2000 + $3000 part + 13 hr labor to close it back up @ $2000).

I don't know what to do.

I don't really want to pay $7k to repair the vehicle, and it could be worse than that if there are more serious engine problems.
jhbjkn
I think that the car in fair/good condition should be worth ~$20k, but in its current state I doubt they would offer more than $10k. Maybe if I work with the sales department to put me in a new lease, do you think they would offer ~$15k?

Not sure what else to do. I could have it towed to another dealership for a second opinion, but not optimistic about a different outcome.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Doing a lease only digs you deeper into the financial hole. After the lease is over you have nothing, no car, and money out the window for the right to drive Jaguar.

Get it fixed, sell the Jaguar and upgrade to a newer model. Simple solution.

Otherwise, you worry, have to take it to another dealer that will probably tell you the same thing.

Did you notice any leaks prior to the stoppage on the side of the road?

Any loose hoses to lose the water?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

If they are claiming it's a blown head gasket I'd be asking for a complete compression test of all the cylinders

Also what colour is the oil if it has mixed with the coolant the oil will resemble a mayonnaise like consistency very simple to test

Lastly how long were you driving around with the high temperature warning

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Hopefully nothing has been done yet and you are looking for some suggestions. I assume the dealer knows where the leaks came from and it was so far maybe a bad hose or two. I would get the hoses replaced/repaired. Changed the oil and check for coolant. If none replace coolant and turn the engine by hand to verify it is not seized. Check for leaks (pressure test coolant system) and if none visible then try to start it. All of this can be done for a few hundred dollars just to see if there is a mechanical leak. If the engine is seized then you are toast and then need to consider options. Good luck

Old 09-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default re: choices

Before going on any further... I would ask yourself... how much stress/aggravation are you able to cope with? You might or probably have a severe issue that might bring more expenses as well. If it were me ( not to say it's the right decision), I would go the route of least resistance and get rid of the car.... and move on.. either lease or purchase.... but stay away from Jaguar!

Old 09-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

What is the head gasket made of, gold? $3000 by itself?

If it was in my car and in my garage I would put coolant in and see if it started and look for leaks. Seems premature to crack open the engine.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

j2times,

I looked at your personal profile to find your location and all it says is US. It would be helpful to know your city and state, since other Forum members may be able to refer you to an honest and knowledgeable independent repair shop and provide feedback as to your Jaguar dealer's reputation.

As explained below, I think that dealer's report of your engine's demise may be premature.

You said that when your overheating warning illuminated, you pulled over immediately and shut off the engine. That was exactly the right thing to do, and it probably prevented any internal engine damage. If you didn't hear any unusual noises from the engine compartment, I would be optimistic that all is OK, except for some hoses, etc. You also said that you tried to restart the engine, but it wouldn't start. What exactly happened when you pressed the start button? If nothing at all happened - it didn't crank at all and you didn't hear any clicking noises - then I suspect your battery was already on its last legs, which would be consistent with your touchscreen not operating, and being stopped at the side of the road with the engine off and your door open was the last straw and totally drained whatever battery was left. How long has it been since a new battery was installed in your 08 XKR?

I agree with the good advice in Post #4, above, from jagtoes, except that the very first thing I would do is to turn the engine by hand to make sure it isn't seized. Why replace hoses, change oil and add coolant, etc., if the engine won't turn by hand?

The overheating warning was designed to give you enough time to pull over and shut the engine off so as to prevent damage. As I said, you did the right thing so, hopefully, your engine isn't damaged and your repair costs will be low.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (10-01-2016), ralphwg (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Before going on any further... I would ask yourself... how much stress/aggravation are you able to cope with? You might or probably have a severe issue that might bring more expenses as well. If it were me ( not to say it's the right decision), I would go the route of least resistance and get rid of the car.... and move on.. either lease or purchase.... but stay away from Jaguar!
Stay away from the jaguar brand ? or a jaguar dealership ?

If your referring to staying away from the Jaguar brand due to this potential issue it wouldn't matter which manufacturer built the motor you are going to have serious issue when driving along with an over-heating engine.

Cee Jay (10-01-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

First thing to do is get a compression test done. No need to open the engine for this. Unfortunately, these engines can be damaged from overheating pretty quickly.

The most common overheating failure mode on this engine are dropped valve seats. A compression test will indicate if there is likely damage. If the engine is blown, a swapping in a used engine is usually the least expensive repair option. All of this should be done but a competent Jaguar independent shop to make any financial sense at all.

I agree, if you tell us where you are (city, state) we might be able to recommend a shop.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-30-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Overheating in an aluminum block motor is not necessarily a total motor failure. Don't assume a need to check compression, head gasket, etc. In my opinion, the "best test" is to allow motor to completely cool; refill with coolant; recharge battery; and then try to restart.
This happened to me many years ago with an Olds F85 that the mechanic forgot to fill with coolant. Motor "froze" on Chicago's Outer Drive. Coolant refilled, motor started right up and ran like new. Drove another 40k miles until I sold it.
If after adding coolant, motor does not turn over, by starter or by hand, then you may assume it is probably "seized" with all the attendant very expensive fixes required.
But if the motor does start and sounds even, then address the much cheaper to find/fix coolant leak.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll chime in like everyone else, no way I would crack the motor open without some much cheaper and sensible tests being done first.

My primary concern if I were you at the moment would be finding a mechanic with a little common sense to have take a look at this thing.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Further support to "fill it up, fix hoses, and test it"

You really cant do any more damage with this quick check

Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
Overheating in an aluminum block motor is not necessarily a total motor failure. Don't assume a need to check compression, head gasket, etc. In my opinion, the "best test" is to allow motor to completely cool; refill with coolant; recharge battery; and then try to restart.
This happened to me many years ago with an Olds F85 that the mechanic forgot to fill with coolant. Motor "froze" on Chicago's Outer Drive. Coolant refilled, motor started right up and ran like new. Drove another 40k miles until I sold it.
If after adding coolant, motor does not turn over, by starter or by hand, then you may assume it is probably "seized" with all the attendant very expensive fixes required.
But if the motor does start and sounds even, then address the much cheaper to find/fix coolant leak.
Right, but this particular engine design has a common overheating failure mode of dropped valve seats. Checking compression is an easy and cheap test. If it was going to start, it will start without coolant as long as the battery is charged and can safely be run for s few seconds .

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Right, but this particular engine design has a common overheating failure mode of dropped valve seats. Checking compression is an easy and cheap test. If it was going to start, it will start without coolant as long as the battery is charged and can safely be run for s few seconds .
I second this, a compression test is simple and only involves running the starter. You don't start the engine, only put the compression gauge in place of a spark plug and crank. The fuel will be disconnected anyway.

The hoses will need to be fixed no matter what, so it is simple to add some coolant and see where you are if compression is within spec.

Regardless, it seems crazy to tear down an engine without basic tests being performed. Unless they already did these and it failed?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Somehow I got the idea that the OP either doesn't have the tools are isn't capable or just wants the dealer to sort it out. If this is the case the easiest thing he could do is press the start button and see if it turns and fires. If it does then change the fluids and put in coolant and see what happens.

Cee Jay (10-01-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
j2times,

I looked at your personal profile to find your location and all it says is US. It would be helpful to know your city and state, since other Forum members may be able to refer you to an honest and knowledgeable independent repair shop and provide feedback as to your Jaguar dealer's reputation.

Miami, FL. It is at Warren Henry Jaguar.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Go for an indie....

Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
Go for an indie....
Any recommendations for a place in south florida?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry mate in live in Stuttgart/Fatherland

Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by j2times
Any recommendations for a place in south florida?
Have you checked the regional section?

Quick Reply: looking for advice on expensive repair estimate