XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lower Springs and Warranty - Dealer Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lower Springs and Warranty - Dealer Feedback

Went to ask my dealer cost to install springs. Mentioned some guys on the board recommended this particular service advisor. He said they don't install them. Said there could be warranty issues. I told him I've never had warranty issues with springs on my BMW's and Porsches. It sounded like this was a VERY rare request. Wonder if he was irritated because I'm relatively young (although I look younger than I am) and perhaps he feels like I'm messing with the car etc. He said he would check and get back to me.

He also mentioned the last time they did something about they did it on someone's and didn't go so well but they gave no specifics and sounded a bit contrived. When I mentioned exhaust he said he would do that. If they say no I wonder if I add them myself have I just put a microscope on my car so they would try to deny since they know I've inquired.

Any feedback from you guys with springs and your dealers attitude as well as Jag?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

BTDT many times with suspension kits, springs, etc.

The service advisor probably got burned once.... and once bitten, twice shy.

I'd authorize aftermarket/performance installations only when we knew the customer well. That is, when we knew that if the results weren't as expected, the customer wouldn't blame us and wanna leave a trail of dead bodies from the service desk to corporate headquarters.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Warranty isn't the issue, as we have laws that protect you as an owner for that. Factory warranty repairs can only be refused if it is shown that the aftermarket part itself caused the failure. So lowering springs may kill coverage of something like shocks, but won't let them side step something like blown seal in the engine.

I would suspect "liability" is the bigger issue here. Asking a Jaguar shop manager to sidestep their design engineers, and then be forced to take legal responsibility when you total your car is outside the boundaries most corporate shops are willing to step.
I can't say I blame them, can you?

That's why we use aftermarket performance shops.....

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-23-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 AM

Agreed. And I always have used performance shops on my other cars. But I thought I saw posts about recommending the dealer as if most tuner shops may not know how...

Will begin looking for a shop in Dallas that might install.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Ok, so the dealer called me today. They will install them but wanted me to know there may be some gray areas associated with warranty'ing the suspension i.e. shocks. He said XK shocks are super stout and he's heard of maybe 3 being replaced. This jibes with other owners here that have put springs on and are 4 years in with no issues.

So this being said I just need to decide if I'll have the dealer or performance shop do it. When the service advisor said bring him the hardware and any instructions I realized it definitely won't be cheaper... Their hourly rate is surely higher than a performance shop so the only gain would be if they did it much faster due to know the car. My guess is that I'm def better off going to a shop.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can they quote you a labor estimate?