XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

May buy an XK/XKR—looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 08:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
Default May buy an XK/XKR—looking for guidance

I’m expecting to hear from my insurer that my ‘06 Radiance Pearl VDP was totaled by a falling tree. I’m pondering the switch from big sedans to an XK ragtop. I’m here looking for a little guidance on things to watch for in a purchase and understand about its weak spots. I am primarily interested in models with the 4.2 engine, and years ‘04-09, but willing to look at ‘97-03. I realize there’s a separate list for the ‘07-upwards and will post this there as well. I do like the idea of having some roll-over protection, though I’m not an aggressive driver.

I am aware of the timing chain issue on the 4.0, nikasil, green rain, and the fact a “sealed for life” ZF HP26 transmission really needs to have fluid/filter replaced at 60K. Are there any other real biggies out there me or my mechanic should be looking for? Is the supercharger reliable over an extended period were I to get an R? Is the early cup holder design easily repairable/replaceable?

My personal desires in the way of equipment on the car are Bluetooth (it can pipe phone calls into my hearing aids); and a 6-CD changer. A heated steering wheel would be nice. I know Jag navigation is a joke and I just use my phone anyway. Are there other creature comforts a 70-year-old might like? Is it possible even over short distances to place a small adult turned mostly sideways in what otherwise might be the grocery bag back “alleged” seating area?

Is there perhaps a single source on this website to which I could be pointed?

I thank everyone in advance for their willingness to offer advice.

Eliot Brenner
Annandale, Va.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 932 Posts

The drive train is the same as your VDP on the 4.2's; everything is applicable. I would do the pan/filter/fluid service on the XK at 60K for sure. I had to change mine much earlier as the pan is plastic as was slightly crack on my XK.

I'd look for a fully loaded model and not worry if you are missing an option.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Sean W (06-02-2020), steve_k_xk (06-04-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,829 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Leaving aside the Convertible preference (I live in England where it rains a lot so a Coupe is the logical choice for me), after many years of four door Jaguars, in recent years I've had a 2001 XK8, a 2005 XK8, a 2007 XK and my current 2014 XK. The 2007 XK proved the most reliable although I couldn't say I had real trouble with the others.

The XK was a leap forwards in both construction and technology but the rear seat is even more cramped than the XK8. Whilst the XK8 gradually evolved over the production years, the XK was just about right immediately on introduction. On balance the 4.2, although less power, is more robust than the later 5.0 litre.

For XK8/XKR issues, look at the stickies for regular issues:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

We have started to do the same here for the XK/XKR:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...enance-227403/

With any used Jaguar, history is crucial. I'd prefer a 1996 XK8/XKR with few enthusiast owners and a fat file of receipts for work carried out to a later XK with image conscious owners who just put it into the Dealer for service.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Buzzer (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,203 Likes on 3,114 Posts

Be aware that the move from a VDP to an XK-R will preclude any practical use of the rear 'seats'.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
007XKR (06-04-2020), v8deuce (08-14-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Eliot, +1 on everything Moses, Graham and Cee Jay say above. I did the same thing but had an 05 Super V8. My input is probably obvious but I'll say it anyway as there were no X150's within hundreds of miles of me when I bought so I didn't get an opportunity to test drive. I have the 07 N/A now

Ride - while the drive train is the same, the ride is not. No Air Suspension on the X150. Not bad by any means, just different and being air ride free is one less thing to concern yourself with. Also note the XKR has a firmer ride than the XK.

Quiet - Coming from you VDP, you are used to quiet, unless you have noisy tires. XK/XKR is not a quiet ride. You can and will hear an exhaust note and that's by design.

Comfort - The XK sits lower than your VDP so something to be aware of getting in and out. Headroom is fine and I noticed little difference if any from my SV8 but I do have the seat lowered all the way and slightly reclined. I did the same on my SV8. One thing you won't have to worry about is your knee hitting the key as the ignition is push button on the XK. My knee was always hitting the key on the SV8. I had the opportunity to "sit" in an X100. I found it to be very uncomfortable (for me), even without comparing to the X150.

If I was to do it over again, I would have gone for the 09. The 07 has the same "automatic- guaranteed to fail" antenna from the 1980's (I swear they used left over parts from 1985) that Jaguar eliminated in 08 and replaced with a shark fin antenna.

The 09 has a few more "visual" options on the touchscreen (Blue screen vs Green) and the phone module shows battery strength of phone on the screen. Also there are a few different screen saver options but all these are trivial really.

You probably had the adaptive cruise control in your VDP. That is a rarity in the X150 but is available. I personally don't miss it in the least but others love it. Your search will take longer if this is a must have for you.

I would also recommend including "Front" parking sensors as part of your search. The nose is long and if you think you're getting to close to the parking curb, you just already hit it:-)

Lastly, the BT module will not pipe anything into your hearing aids. That's going to have to be a hearing aid app that works with your smartphone. I also wear hearing aids and use the stock BT functionality and have no issues hearing anyone, but of course everyone's hearing is different.

Hope this helps. Take your time and enjoy the search.

Last edited by Sean W; 06-02-2020 at 03:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sean W:
16fnrbrg (06-02-2020), Cee Jay (06-02-2020), guy (06-02-2020), MarkyUK (08-16-2020), ralphwg (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I'll also add, your golf clubs will not fit in the boot without having to take some ridiculous measures. (the bag might fit in a coupe if you remove the clubs and put them in the front seat) I dunno about a vert.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,211 Likes on 3,411 Posts

You're in the USA, where 2009 was the last model year for the the 4.2L engine. I suggest that you consider the limited production 2009 XKR Portfolio coupe or convertible as well as the similar 2008 XKR Portfolios. One drawback is that although the Portfolios are pretty much loaded up with options and unique features, you could not get a heated steering wheel with either the 2008 or 2009 Portfolio, so that might make it a dealbreaker.

All 2008 Portfolios were Celestial Black and included the Alcon Performance Brake Package with 6-piston front 4-piston rear calipers and huge crescent-grooved rotors, which was a $5,000 option on the 2009 Portfolio. All 2009 Portfolios were Shadow Gray and included iPod connectivity for music with steering wheel controls and integrated touchscreen display. iPod connectivity became standard equipment in 2009, but a dealer-installed accessory Audio Connectivity Module with similar features became available for 2007 and 2008 models.

Here are a few pictures of my 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible.

P.S. A 2009 XKR Portfolio coupe is available for sale in the Forum Marketplace. Here's the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/222463

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-02-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
eliotb (08-15-2020), Sean W (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I’ll add that a small adult can ride sideways in the rear seat for a short distance without too much physical damage, have done that a couple of times (but it’s amazing that those folks don’t ask to bum a ride again ).
My wife on the otherhand, rode back there for a 2.5 to 3 hour return home trip, when she bought something that would only fit in the front seat when the top was up. She said the first 20 minutes were bearable, and now she’s careful what she buys when we use the X150.

The following 5 users liked this post by kj07xk:
007XKR (06-04-2020), 80sRule (06-02-2020), Cee Jay (06-02-2020), MarkyUK (08-16-2020), Sean W (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by eliotb
I’m expecting to hear from my insurer that my ‘06 Radiance Pearl VDP was totaled by a falling tree. I’m pondering the switch from big sedans to an XK ragtop. I’m here looking for a little guidance on things to watch for in a purchase and understand about its weak spots. I am primarily interested in models with the 4.2 engine, and years ‘04-09, but willing to look at ‘97-03. I realize there’s a separate list for the ‘07-upwards and will post this there as well. I do like the idea of having some roll-over protection, though I’m not an aggressive driver.

I am aware of the timing chain issue on the 4.0, nikasil, green rain, and the fact a “sealed for life” ZF HP26 transmission really needs to have fluid/filter replaced at 60K. Are there any other real biggies out there me or my mechanic should be looking for? Is the supercharger reliable over an extended period were I to get an R? Is the early cup holder design easily repairable/replaceable?

My personal desires in the way of equipment on the car are Bluetooth (it can pipe phone calls into my hearing aids); and a 6-CD changer. A heated steering wheel would be nice. I know Jag navigation is a joke and I just use my phone anyway. Are there other creature comforts a 70-year-old might like? Is it possible even over short distances to place a small adult turned mostly sideways in what otherwise might be the grocery bag back “alleged” seating area?

Is there perhaps a single source on this website to which I could be pointed?

I thank everyone in advance for their willingness to offer advice.

Eliot Brenner
Annandale, Va.
Hi!

I happen to own both a 2000 XKR Convertible (going on a decade now) and a 2007 XKR Coupe (2 years). I'm 32, work in tech (automation), yet don't really care about fancy car tech!

Both have 6 disc changers. The 00 does NOT have bluetooth but there are plenty of people who fit aftermarket units; although I am not a fan of that. The 00 is a trunk mounted cartridge unit, and the 07 is an in dash unit. I have had no trouble with either, but find that the older unit actually is faster in switching between discs. I do not change CDs frequently that in dash versus in trunk matters a lot to me at least. Both radios are the alpine units in my cars. Both sound decent, although when you can get the B&W (like a portfolio has), its REALLY nice. The bluetooth works ok in my 07 for linking my phone to it for calls.

I have zero interest in a non-R model. On the older cars; 97-02 had the 5HP24, which is just a trash transmission. You get the much more reliable W5A580 (Jaguar-speak for Mercedes 722.6) in the R models. The Eaton M112 supercharger is a robust unit, and can be serviced easily, and rebuilt relatively easily. The supercharger does complicate some jobs versus the naturally aspirated cars; but can be removed in about 3 hours your first time; you can do valley coolant hoses, etc. Most injectors are harder to replace on R model cars, but again, very infrequent occurrence. With the R models, you automatically get an aluminum thermostat housing versus a tower of garbage plastic too. I find it interesting that Jaguar somehow made the performance variant more reliable and easier to own.

Nikasil. The consensus is that if it's good now this many years after high sulfur fuel is gone, it will stay good, and may actually be better than steel liners. I've never had an issue, and didnt with my XJR either.

Timing chain tensioners and guides. This is a 4.0 problem with 4.2s not affected. You can fix this. This is what I'd consider the biggest fault on 4.0 cars; and unlike the 5HP24 on NA 4.0 cars, can actually be fixed to be a non-issue. Buy it already fixed or plan on $300-700 for DIY (depending on if you do just secondary tensioners or the whole shebang) or 3k for a shop to do it.

Green rain. Absolutely a thing. Had to fix this on my 00. Annoying. Buy it fixed or budget several K for this at a shop.

Rear seats suck. My best friend is a size 00 5' asian woman. She barely fit in the back on my 00 XKR. I'm 5'10" size 6 and I literally hated life riding in the back 7 miles in my 07. They hold purses nicely. It's a parcel shelf.

The X100 cupholder is nonsense unless you like coke flavored radios and backseats. It is there for when the car is stationary. The much simpler one in the X150 does work while moving. This is not mentioned that you can break the X100 one.

Ok, I've primarily talked about faults on the X100. That's because the early X150 really doesn't have a whole lot of them. The leather dash can shrink and need to be redone. There is a little drain for the AC that can get clogged unless permanently fixed in the passenger footwell in the dash. 07s have an old timey retractable antenna (gone for 08, but there every year of the X100). The X150 legitimately was a pretty good car from the get go!

If you are up for DIY, you can buy smart on an X100 convertible and do well. If you do not DIY, you likely are much better off with the X150 as it likely over a few years will end up being the cheaper option. This is irrelevant that the driving dynamics are better in the 07+, and the aluminum body is more corrosion resistant than the X100. My 00 is immaculate underneath but I've been surprised by how many X100s are rust traps. I've owned my X100 more years and miles than any other car I've ever owned. I love the car. They have warts and if being objective, the X150 is just a better car.

Final Note - I like cars a lot and often like the change up. The 07 XKR I have is the only car I have ever owned that I absolutely would replace with another of the same if a tree fell on it or it got totaled...

Last edited by 80sRule; 06-02-2020 at 10:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 80sRule:
kj07xk (06-02-2020), Sean W (06-03-2020), Stuart S (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 902 Posts

I have been driving and owning Jaguars since 1974. The first 8 or 10 were big sedans with an XJ-S thrown in in the middle. When we moved from Chicago to Southern Cal in 2008 I decided it was time to go back to my first love in vehicles, convertibles. Having now owned and driven two XKs, one 4.2 and one 5.0 plus a 5.0 XKR for 150k+ miles. I can say that in my opinion if you want to go to a GT vert. The 5.0 L XK or XKR is the way to go. The only issues that have cropped up on either of my 5.0L cars has been the water pump and the TPMS system. Both now operate as they should, fixed under warranty. All of the comments above regarding the sedan vis a vis the XK/XKR are correct. But, even at 84 years old with hearing aids and other typical infirmities I can tell you I look forward to driving the XKR on a daily basis with the top down and the sporty feel of the car. If your budget allows I would go for a 2012 XKR or later. Good hunting!

eliotb (08-15-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 05:10 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 727 Posts

Dear fellow members,
will you please stop selling the accolades of an xkr? I’m having a hard enough time sourcing another one as it is. I don’t want to be in competition with a newbie.

To those looking for an Xk or xkr, if you have never owned a Jaguar, you will hate it. Run away fast.

@eliotb , I had an XJR, taunt feeling as compared to the VDP. XKR is tighter still. And more compact. As @Stuart S mentions, ease of getting in and out is very different. It is a drivers car. Not a run a quick errand car. And as you’ve probably seen in many other posts, quite frankly the best driving and yet problem free car I have ever owned. As some others have mentioned, the back seats are unusable for anything other than a short ride. And the boot just large enough for a couple of overnight duffle bags. Despite some comments I can tell you first hand that at 13 years old, it is as dependable as when I got it. Mind you I no longer drive her in the winter. And as you know with Jaguars, maintenance is a must. The local Jaguar dealer enjoys seeing my car and is happy to sort anything out of the ordinary for me.

Last edited by guy; 06-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Well, to maintain the spirit of camaraderie on the list, should I find a suitable XKR, knowing based on your advice its a dreadful car which I must avoid, I will message you first to offer you first right of refusal. We’re I in Ottawa, I’d leave the car parked for the winter, too. Here the winter is not as challenging. I do have a very good Indy mechanic and have been pleasantly surprised by the service and price I’ve gotten at our local dealer. I once called them from Warsaw when I had a problem I had to deal with immediately upon my return and they were most helpful. Of course, I’ve Also accidentally dialed my Chinese restaurant from ... Beijing and Tokyo!

Before I buy anything I’d going to make darn sure I can get in and out without too much difficulty, coupe or convertible.

Thanks again for chiming in from Ottawa, where I have a couple of very good friends from that period when I actually toiled for a living. I’ve managed to cure myself of that ailment.

Cheers.

Eliot

guy (06-03-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Default I opted for an X308 (atten Grahame Loader et al)

OK, three steps forward and one back. After a 1989 XJ6, a 1997 XJ6 long wheel base, and a 2006 all-aluminum XJ8 Vanden), I took a step back in time today to a 2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas with a quartz exterior and black interior. What’s notable about this beast? It’s 17 model years old (18 calendar years) and had 29,850 miles on it when I took a very long test drive yesterday! It ticked over 30k today on the way home from the small town in the Shenandoah Valley where it popped up on a Subaru dealer’s site Monday morning. I moved immediately.

It was a one-owner car, serviced at a Jag dealership. The mechanic who did an independent check on its condition for me emerged to say: 1) it’s quite clear Mrs. Hollar never let the grandkids in the car and 2) you’ve to a real creme puff here. So, meet GOOD KITTY IV, successor to GOOD KITTY III, destroyed by a falling pine nearly 3 months ago. I found this after a daily nationwide internet search that rejected cars like #3 that were often thousands of miles away and almost invariably had well over 100k miles. I loved #3, just loved it, but could not find a decent replacement, and toyed with a convertible but came back to sedans as quieter and more comfortable on trips.

The official GOOD KITTY vanity tags go on after 30 days pass so the DMV has all the paperwork to permit license tag changes.

And for those who warned me of all the flaws so I should not deplete the stock of XKs available to them, you succeeded admirably.

ralphwg (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 632 Likes on 409 Posts

And for those who warned me of all the flaws so I should not deplete the stock of XKs available to them, you succeeded admirably.
Congrats on your "new to you" car.

And yes, when you ask for info you tend to get the doom and gloom, I see it constantly when people ask about model years or the two different engine variants for the XK. My 5.0L XK has been one of the best ownership experiences I have ever had, I get there are potential issues. Like all cars.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 902 Posts

I think the 2003 VDP has one of the most attractive designs ever seen in a four door sedan. Good job!!! Enjoy your new (to you) ride.

mosesbotbol (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Be aware that the move from a VDP to an XK-R will preclude any practical use of the rear 'seats'.
Unless you have a really short wife that likes to drive!

Old 08-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

OK, three steps forward and one back. After a 1989 XJ6, a 1997 XJ6 long wheel base, and a 2006 all-aluminum XJ8 Vanden), I took a step back in time today to a 2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas with a quartz exterior and black interior. What’s notable about this beast? It’s 17 model years old (18 calendar years) and had 29,850 miles on it when I took a very long test drive yesterday! It ticked over 30k today on the way home from the small town in the Shenandoah Valley where it popped up on a Subaru dealer’s site Monday morning. I moved immediately.

It was a one-owner car, serviced at a Jag dealership. The mechanic who did an independent check on its condition for me emerged to say: 1) it’s quite clear Mrs. Hollar never let the grandkids in the car and 2) you’ve to a real creme puff here. So, meet GOOD KITTY IV, successor to GOOD KITTY III, destroyed by a falling pine nearly 3 months ago. I found this after a daily nationwide internet search that rejected cars like #3 that were often thousands of miles away and almost invariably had well over 100k miles. I loved #3, just loved it, but could not find a decent replacement, and toyed with a convertible but came back to sedans as quieter and more comfortable on trips.

The official GOOD KITTY vanity tags go on after 30 days pass so the DMV has all the paperwork to permit license tag changes.

Congrats on the new car!

I just sold my 98 XJR, and I did like it but need to make room for a DB9 or GranTurismo, and my pimp VW Station Wagon serves 4 people or stuff hauling needs. They are an excellent option if you need the space; I found in 5 years that I actually used the back seat ONE TIME, so the utility was wasted on me.

Over in X308 theres some really cool peeps, so enjoy your new car! Get the timing chain bits upgraded, new thermostat housing, and transmission a drum and you should have a relatively uneventful next 70k miles on your VDP.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Congrats on your "new to you" car.

And yes, when you ask for info you tend to get the doom and gloom, I see it constantly when people ask about model years or the two different engine variants for the XK. My 5.0L XK has been one of the best ownership experiences I have ever had, I get there are potential issues. Like all cars.
The "worst" X150 is still a pretty robust car with addressable issues(timing bits, shrinkage, duck bill). My X150 is just awesome and I've been very happy with my purchase. The 5L is not 110% problem free, but a damn good engine and just fix whats bad when its bad and you're good!

Old 08-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 xkr canada

Hi. Not sure where you are at in your purchase considerations but I just listed my single owner 2007 xkr convertible ... emerald fire green.

to view listing go to the Canadian autotrader site (autotraders.ca) ... price is in Canadian dollars

Old 08-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,913 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestonjag
Hi. Not sure where you are at in your purchase considerations but I just listed my single owner 2007 xkr convertible ... emerald fire green.

to view listing go to the Canadian autotrader site (autotraders.ca) ... price is in Canadian dollars
Took awhile to find it, under Alberta, correct?
Love the color, but you’ve listed the interior as ivory, while I think that is caramel.
Wish I’d known about emerald fire green when I was shopping.
If I bought your car, y’all could attend my funeral next week.

Quick Reply: May buy an XK/XKR—looking for guidance