XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A Message to Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A Message to Corporate

There are rumors that Jaguar is either going to make the XK larger or get rid of it altogether. Right now Jaguar is one of the few luxury car companies that offers a true GT car, (the XK range) and a true sports car, (the F Type range). In addition to the sports and GT range of cars, Jaguar offers a true sport sedan, (the XF range) and a full blown luxury car, (the XJ range) with an R variant of each! It doesn't get any better than that! All Jaguar has to do now is offer a sport utility (the Q range?) and the germans will really have something to be concerned about. Jaguar has come a long way and currently has the perfect line-up of cars - in my opinion.

Many people - my self included - prefer a larger sports car, (GT), because most sports cars are too small. Conversely, many people like a true sports car rather than the larger GT because they like the better handling and toss-ablity of a smaller sports car, on the back roads. Now is not the time to take away, arguably, one of the best GT cars in the world! You would loose many customers to companies that make a GT car, like Aston Martin's Vanquish, BMW's M6, Mercedes Benz's SL range, Porsche's Panamera to name a few.

I could see adding a four door XK like Aston Martin's Rapid. It would be a crime to do anything to what is arguably the best GT car in the world. Now is not the time to shoot yourself in the foot. Please leave the XK, XKR, XKRS and XKRS-GT alone. They are wonderful cars! I could see modifying the suspension of the XKRS by putting the GT suspension on it. That would be awesome! Randy Pobst loves what Jaguar has done to the XKRS-GT so take what you have learned from all of the time and research that you have spent on the XKRS-GT and improve the handling on the rest of the XK range but don't change it or get rid of it. After having perfected the XKRS-GT discontinuing or increasing it's size would be a shame and a waste of all of that time and money. Go ahead and add a larger XK range but leave the current line-up alone, please.

Sincerely,

Your most loyal customer

The following 10 users liked this post by drc:
axr6 (01-28-2014), Bruce H. (01-27-2014), DGL (01-27-2014), GritsNCornbread (02-03-2014), MaximA (01-28-2014), Ngarara (01-27-2014), Pendle (01-28-2014), ralphwg (01-27-2014), richzak (02-03-2014), Snide72 (01-30-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
Many people - my self included - prefer a larger sports car, (GT), because most sports cars are too small. Conversely, many people like a true sports car rather than the larger GT because they like the better handling and toss-ablity of a smaller sports car, on the back roads. Now is not the time to take away, arguably, one of the best GT cars in the world! You would loose many customers to companies that make a GT car, like Aston Martin's Vanquish, BMW's M6, Mercedes Benz's SL range, Porsche's Panamera to name a few.

:
I agree with you. When it was time for me to choose between the XKRS and the F-type, I discover that more space is much better. Without the XK range, I would have choosen something else then the F-type ( Maserati?)

With the XK I can; Go golfing with my own clubs, Hit the road for 2 weeks with luguages for 2, Go to the grocery store with my wife and comeback home WITH the grocery AND my wife....

With the F type, I guess the owners must choose too many time what they get on the passenger seat....

Guy

Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I agree with having Jaguar keep the XK. The F-type, roadster, does not compete with the XK, GT.

However, by now Jaguar has already made up its mind. We will all see the result in the near future. If the XK is not revived we will own the best performance oriented street GT car ever made. If the XK is morphed into a true 4 seat GT we will still own the best GT. This is what attracted me to the XKR; the smallish back seats making the car look so sporty and the performance is like no other GT.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Quebecjag
I agree with you. When it was time for me to choose between the XKRS and the F-type, I discover that more space is much better. Without the XK range, I would have choosen something else then the F-type ( Maserati?) With the XK I can; Go golfing with my own clubs, Hit the road for 2 weeks with luguages for 2, Go to the grocery store with my wife and comeback home WITH the grocery AND my wife.... With the F type, I guess the owners must choose too many time what they get on the passenger seat.... Guy
And sadly the wife often loses out.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
And sadly the wife often loses out.

Never in my house

Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

T ftype is too big/heavy to be a real sports car...

Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
T ftype is too big/heavy to be a real sports car...

I think we all agree with this. However, it is the closest you're going to get to a sports car in a GT. The theme of this thread is to let Jaguar know there is a market for a sporty GT like the XK. All they need to do is update the model.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
I think we all agree with this. However, it is the closest you're going to get to a sports car in a GT. The theme of this thread is to let Jaguar know there is a market for a sporty GT like the XK. All they need to do is update the model.
I get that the platform is getting dated... But they've got an Aston designer! Look at an current Aston and one from 15 or even 20 years ago. They update them - yes. But it's not a "start from the drawing board" again design. The Astons have horrific transmissions and decade old technology in their engines, yet they are beautiful, classic and nobody ever looks at one and calls it dated!

In a world where M cars and AMG's are hardly distinguishable from Honda Accords, Jaguar is a British car with deep British heritage. Compete on your differentiators - don't be a "me too" brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
MaximA (01-28-2014), Napoleon Solo (01-31-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

As I said in another post enough of the copycat styling.... The other day I was behind an early XK8 and it was turning heads. I have every exotic car known to man within 1 mile of me and when 10 year old Jag turns heads that says something about the Jaguar styling.

Astons are ten year old cars but the styling is superb and that is why the can get away with decade old technology. The XK is in this class as well, and they have the man who designed them both. I just hope the corporate bean counters don't turn jag into another BMW.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

They may be able to get away with it for turning heads, but not when it comes to sales. I mean, really, how long do you think Jaguar can keep going with the current body style? I doubt they'll sell more than 4-5,000 2015 models!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldnt agree more. Listen up Jaguar! I'm not really even a long term Jag Fan. Its the first Jag I've had and seems like it will be the last. The only reason I bought the XKR, was because I wasnt completely prepared to give up on the notion of a performance oriented vehicle but I am getting too old, fat and especially lazy to continue my historical car buying patterns. Sports cars require too much effort and drama for my daily or even occasional use. I love 911's, have had one continually since 1988. I still love them but replaced it with the XKR. The XKR is just so much easier to drive. My demographic is growing. I dont want an edgy car anymore. Its not about trunk space, its about a not worring about speed bumps or having to crawl out of it on all fours while still driving a car I respect. Huge mistake to drop guys like me from your target audience (demopgraphically, fat old guys still rule the ecomomy). I wont buy an f-type and I'm not yet ready for a sedan. besides, I wouldnt bet my franchise on the F-type anyway - Its just not that good yet. Too heavy and frankly, I dont think has the badge styling that makes it distinctivley Jaguar. Its cool looking, but far from "timeless"...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I agree very much that the GT concept should be preserved. The present car is gorgeous. So was the previous gen XK. However, the present model do need many updates and, by all indications, the aging factor keeps people from buying it. I, myself, had an '08XK which I perhaps prematurely traded for a new XJL but, could be tempted to purchase an other XK(R) would it not be near the end of its intended life cycle. I will not purchase a car that would be replaced in a year and look dated afterwords.

Yes, Jaguar could keep the concept alive but, needs to update it to attract the buyers to it. Not only with more state of the art electronics but, with the GT style suspension, better steering, 8sp, etc and some subtle, yet distinctive, exterior body changes. Then, I would consider it, heck, even prefer it to the F-type, which is now set to be my next potential purchase.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 01-28-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

So what is a BMW M6? A touring car? I don't see how giving just a couple more inches of legroom in back will suddenly bastid-ize the current XK and turn it into a big fat wallowing pig!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If any of this is really meant o be a message to Jaguar, try emailing it or PM Mike@Jaguar.

Not much chance they'll see it otherwise.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
If any of this is really meant o be a message to Jaguar, try emailing it or PM Mike@Jaguar.

Once everyone on this forum has left there opinion on the value of the XK a message could be sent to Jaguar corporate by the thread initiator or the moderator advising Jaguar about our strong desire for the model to continue. Although, Jaguar will find it interesting, as we do, they have already chartered their business plan for the next 5 years.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Once everyone on this forum has left there opinion on the value of the XK a message could be sent to Jaguar corporate by the thread initiator or the moderator advising Jaguar about our strong desire for the model to continue. Although, Jaguar will find it interesting, as we do, they have already chartered their business plan for the next 5 years.

I say we all meet in front of the entrance to corporate with pitchforks and torches. Let them hear our voices. We will not give in to this tyranny.

:startslowclapping:

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8

You will be surprised. I am sure these forums are monitored by Jaguar USA.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Hopefully the next XK will look like this....with little bit of Aston Martin DBC

Attached Thumbnails A Message to Corporate-jaguar-xk-diesel.jpg   A Message to Corporate-aston-martin-dbc-concept-013%2525255b3%2525255d.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
Hopefully the next XK will look like this....with little bit of Aston Martin DBC

Looks like a stingray with a XJ nose...

Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Looks more like the old XK Coupe with the new XJ nose...

Quick Reply: A Message to Corporate