XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mina Gallery front grill options

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok. So I checked my existing grill - It looks like I can remove the existing growler and splitter vane ( aka chrysler logo ) and install an aftermarket growler.. minus the splitter vane.

Basically - Carefully remove the growler and splitter w/o breaking the existing grill. Then have a finished product similar to the one on the left.

My question is what size growler would fit in the opening above ? 70mm or 85mm ?

Last edited by myexcursion; 11-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Cee Jay, have you ever considered doing the same wrap you did for your headlights on the chrome head light wash cover, and the chrome brake vents?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Cee Jay, have you ever considered doing the same wrap you did for your headlights on the chrome head light wash cover, and the chrome brake vents?
That's an old picture. I've since painted them a dark gray with that removable krylon stuff. It's nearly body color.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
JAGUAR 85mm BLACK GROWLER FRONT GRILLE EMBLEM BADGE ROUNDEL XJ XF XK X-TYPE | eBay

As the new badge has locator pins in a different location, the only modification that will need to take place is to simply pierce new (locator) holes into the existing backing where the old badge was .

This can easy be done with a small phillips head screwdriver
So if I keep my 07 Grill, and only remove the existing emblem ( with the wings ) - I would need the 85mm growler to fit in the gap , not the 70 mm ?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I think the newer emblems look cheap. Why not just use the stock one? I ended up with an early Chinese knock off E type emblem with red enamel that looked nice for a couple months but has faded to orange. Meh...

Per your grill, you can touch it up or repaint it easily enough with some cue tips and aluminum spray paint. Spray the paint into the lid, then dip the cue tip in the paint and just drag it along the face of the grill. In my above pics I just sprayed the whole thing and while it has a lot more 'depth' you can also see the around the perimeter hole it's held to the nose. On an XK maybe do the grill in an antique bronze color would look good.

Personally if you chose to do anything I'd pull the nose. I have long thinner arms and it's way too tight to get to the grill emblems easily. I did it, from the bottom (top ain't happening on a blower car).

The following users liked this post:
myexcursion (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info ! It looks like you also kept the stock grill on yours. What size emblem did you put in there 70mm or 85mm ?

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I think the newer emblems look cheap. Why not just use the stock one? I ended up with an early Chinese knock off E type emblem with red enamel that looked nice for a couple months but has faded to orange. Meh...

Per your grill, you can touch it up or repaint it easily enough with some cue tips and aluminum spray paint. Spray the paint into the lid, then dip the cue tip in the paint and just drag it along the face of the grill. In my above pics I just sprayed the whole thing and while it has a lot more 'depth' you can also see the around the perimeter hole it's held to the nose. On an XK maybe do the grill in an antique bronze color would look good.

Personally if you chose to do anything I'd pull the nose. I have long thinner arms and it's way too tight to get to the grill emblems easily. I did it, from the bottom (top ain't happening on a blower car).

Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Post 149 in my build thread for a pic of the backside of the grill. Then 176 for making the base and 197 for finished / installed. Not sure about the dimension. The red one I chose was smaller than the stock one so it needed a base. The OEM grill has a recess where the emblem sits a little below the level of the 'grill' You'll need to compensate for that if you chose the big red / green / black growler emblem that's all over eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Grill...HpDw_g&vxp=mtr

Per size, measure what you have a see what you want. I think the stock growler is 58mm but the base is larger.

myexcursion (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

That is in fact the 85mm badge if going the 70mm you would need to fabricate a outer ring like ranch did

Attached Thumbnails Mina Gallery front grill options-1510888089072.jpg   Mina Gallery front grill options-img_20171121_095118.jpg  
myexcursion (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
That is in fact the 85mm badge if going the 70mm you would need to fabricate a outer ring like ranch did

Thanks ! I guess I'm going with the 85mm one then because I don't have anything to build an outer ring with, and don't mind it if the growler is a little bigger