XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is my next car an XK-R?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is my next car an XK-R?

I'm a serial 911 owner who is finally getting to the point where the downsides of ownership are outweighing the upsides. My 997 is a wonderful car but I want to arrive at my destination without needing a massage and an Advil.

My list includes the Audi S5, M3 Coupe/Cab, maybe the SL and the XK-R probably the Coupe.

How did you all arrive at the XK? Did any of you come from a 911? Did any of you consider the M3?

Would love to get a pov on my list.

MTIA

Old 03-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont personally have a XK R but have a lot of exp with all the cars listed except for the S5 it was a short term drive.

Growing up my dad was Porsche obsessed owning a bunch of 911s (mostly special edition cars) and a 928 so i know what they are all about, im currently brokering a 08 997 for a friend so i know them very well

im young (23 this month to be exact) and ive always been much more into the big body cars then all out sports cars ...but now and then I love a good thrash in a GT3

By car:

S5: DAMN SEXY styling and pretty exclusive! however shortly the engine will be changed and I dont think its quite up to 911 standards. Its a great alternative to an M3 but totally different personality, a balsy cruiser if you will but not on XKR level either. I wouldnt buy one though as a new engine is on the way along with the dual clutch transmission

M3: very fast and great overall, if you love to push the m3 and be in tune with it but want slightly more practical and cheaper its a great car. the only 3 series id own but with the DCT for me please.

SL and XKR seem like your best bets: Both are on the 911 exclusitivity and class level. They both cruise very well but will also run with a 911 on the interstate without a problem. (AMG SL and the R) will kill most people in 911s because most 911 drivers dont know how to drive. I might lean towards the SL, even in 550 form bc i love the concept of the hardtop convertible and I think id be sad with a GT that doesnt have a sunroof, but thats just me...A couple of the other members actually own both SLs and XK Rs

Hope I was of some help

-Erik

Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up xkr next

Le Chef,

I'm at the other end of the age range from Erik; as an 'old fart' I have owned all but the S5 and M3 (although my son has one) ....... so I may have a little different perspective.

I went from an '02 996 Turbo to an '06 XK8 (only because I couldn't find an R --- I'm a coupe guy) to my '08 XKR Portfolio coup...

If you want to have a conversation send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.......

Mike

Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I'm a serial 911 owner who is finally getting to the point where the downsides of ownership are outweighing the upsides. My 997 is a wonderful car but I want to arrive at my destination without needing a massage and an Advil.

My list includes the Audi S5, M3 Coupe/Cab, maybe the SL and the XK-R probably the Coupe.

How did you all arrive at the XK? Did any of you come from a 911? Did any of you consider the M3?

Would love to get a pov on my list.

MTIA
I have 2 of the vehicles you are interested and can only speak on a '08 XKR Coupe and '06 SL65 AMG. I was actually set to purchase the S5 (Phantom Black/Tuscan Brown) and ordered/deposit from the dealer last January but pulled out and got the XKR instead.

I bought the XKR early last year and the SL65 a few months later. The XKR has more of softer but still firm ride and is a great GT. My SL65 has 180+ more horsepower over my XKR and I did find myself last summer driving more the SL65 over the XKR because of the top down factor and power. The XKR gets more looks but does feel big for a sports car IMO. If you're into modding, you can get pulley, exhaust, chip and racing cats on the XKR and gain approximately 80-90HP. On the SL65, you can get a chip alone and get 100 HP gain.

If you want a smoother ride but yet maintain your power performance of the 911, I would suggest the 2010 XKR with 510 HP. The SL65 has great power but not a good track car as it is a heavy car. BTW....the M3 is a great machine but I would think the M3 will have a stiff ride geared towards track purposes just like the 911?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM

The M3 has a lot of stuff you can adjust, including suspension, which is why it's an interesting option. Occasional track car, city street pot hole avoider, and long distance cruiser. I'v yet to drive any of them, but did drive a straight XK a couple of years ago and it was nice but not that fast.

The SL65 is a monster, but unless I could find a used one it would be out of the price range.

What I don;t know is if i will miss the top down experience I get in the 911. The XK-R Coupe looks terrific, but both the SL and the M3 offer top up/down experience when you want it. Tough call!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 911 or XK(R)

Le Chef, I traded my 911 convertible in May 2008 for a Jag XK convertible. While I do absolutely love the look and styling of the Jaguar, it sure doesnt handle like a POrsche. I have had 2 Porsches and went to the Porsche Sports Driving School as well. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan and these cars are really just seasonal toys for me. I wish I could afford both, because I do genuinely miss the 911. Since I am in Michigan, I have to have a winter/family car instead of two tiys for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM

I'm in Chicago and drive my car all year round unless the snow is deeper than 4". With winter wheels and tires the 997 is very easy to drive in the snow - it's the other drivers I worry about!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm in Chicago (as is Ghostrider)....... my Jag has been in storage since Thanksgiving..........

If I were going to drive a car year around it would be a Porsche 911 C4S ..... with proper winter tires.... and then like you Chef, my only concern would be other drivers.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM

The Targa 4S would be my choice if I were going to stay with Porsche, but I feel like I want more of a GT and less of a pure sports car, hence the picks above. The only one with awd is the Audi, but it lacks some of the sophistication of the Jaguar and the Mercedes.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I remember 2 winters ago when I first bought the XKR my tire guy said there are no snow tires made that will fit the XKR. Like mja xkr, my XKR was in storage along with the SL65 for most of the winter....especialy this past Chicago winter. I'm sure you can drive it in the snow but I sure wouldn't....JMHO. I would definately look into the S5 if it's going to be driven in the snow. It's a sharp looking car....everytime I see one on the road it draws my attention.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM

A friend of mine just drove his XF SV8 through the winter on winter tires without a hitch and I drove my rwd 911 without a hitch either. I think it comes down to whether you enjoy it or not. I happen to think driving in the snow is fun and enjoy switching off the stability control to get the car sliding. And I'm not a 25 year old "drifter" but a 50-something geezer.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM

well....... I don't think you should have any trouble 'getting her sliding' ...... LOL .... in that case I say go for it ... you'll love the xkr!!!!!