XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My XK progress.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My XK progress.

I have a thread started in the wrong place. I figured at some point it might be best to start transferring and uploading photos here as I continue progress with my car. The most recent thing I am working on now is the front end conversion. I might start prepping the bumper tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_8302_zpsxgkyul5m.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  190.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8301_zpso3se2g6s.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  178.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am doing the same thing to my xkr and I was looking at that exact bumper on ebay! Do you have a list of everything else needed to do the conversion? I hear we will need to order new undertray and of course the side vent chrome inserts. the Where are you going to get the additional parts from? What are you going to do about the park sensor holes in the 10 bumper?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ultraman206
I am doing the same thing to my xkr and I was looking at that exact bumper on ebay! Do you have a list of everything else needed to do the conversion? I hear we will need to order new undertray and of course the side vent chrome inserts. the Where are you going to get the additional parts from? What are you going to do about the park sensor holes in the 10 bumper?
Yea, I had been planning it for a while and got the urge to do it so I went ahead and picked this one up. The side vents I am still undetermined about. I will either buy them from my wholesale source (if I decide to use them) or a will hollow the vents out for the more open look (like on my NSX intake side vents). I like the more open look as it looks exotic. So I am still toying with the idea a little. The parking sensor wholes I am going to fiberglass over those myself. I will post progress photos. I thought about possibly leaving one open to add a camera for when I do the video interface and rear view camera set up, but that from one might look odd still. I just need to look at it some more. Everything else is interchangeable behind the bumper if I am not mistaken. I will let you know for sure once I drop it I will report back. The upper and lower grill etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Will the existing upper/lower grill fit the new bumper opening?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sublyminal
Yea, I had been planning it for a while and got the urge to do it so I went ahead and picked this one up. The side vents I am still undetermined about. I will either buy them from my wholesale source (if I decide to use them) or a will hollow the vents out for the more open look (like on my NSX intake side vents). I like the more open look as it looks exotic. So I am still toying with the idea a little. The parking sensor wholes I am going to fiberglass over those myself. I will post progress photos. I thought about possibly leaving one open to add a camera for when I do the video interface and rear view camera set up, but that from one might look odd still. I just need to look at it some more. Everything else is interchangeable behind the bumper if I am not mistaken. I will let you know for sure once I drop it I will report back. The upper and lower grill etc.
Looking forward to your progress. I'll let you know what I run into myself as I do mine.

Can I order from your wholesale resource too? Or you order for me?

Nice NSX! I owned one 15 years ago! A beautiful formula red 1997 NSX targa top. I had put a lot of Comptech parts on it. Fun car.

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Will the existing upper/lower grill fit the new bumper opening?
From my understanding, the upper for sure. The lower should fit too but not certain. I will let you know once my new bumper comes in.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Cool stuff. Keep the pictures coming!

You keeping it the same blue? I like that color a lot.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It is interesting to see the difference of the grill openings.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Looking forward to your progress. I'll let you know what I run into myself as I do mine.

Can I order from your wholesale resource too? Or you order for me?

Nice NSX! I owned one 15 years ago! A beautiful formula red 1997 NSX targa top. I had put a lot of Comptech parts on it. Fun car.

From my understanding, the upper for sure. The lower should fit too but not certain. I will let you know once my new bumper comes in.
es

Yes, the grills both fit.

The NSX, yes! Love it. Mine is also the formula red color. I have pictures around here somewhere. AS for the parts sure just let me know when and what you want by part number. Also I have decided to cover all the sensor holes. I will post more pictures soon as I get more progress. I think I will still put a front camera, but behind the grill out of sight.

NSX..don't mind the tape on the front lip...I'm working on something that I have yet to finish lol.

Name:  589e2fe8-3740-4a71-86da-27684295d7cd_zps0qzdqrkw.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  734.7 KB

Name:  nsxme_zpsrkotjhdm.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  243.4 KB

Name:  image_zps1d8c694a.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  125.0 KB

Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 PM

Very nice! Love the hood. What year is your NSX? Is that a jdm rear tail light section?

Regarding the parking sensor holes, I plan to install an aftermarket parking sensor kit rather then try to retrofit oem which I hear is a lot of hassle not to mention the $$$.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Good for you . , I love moding It makes the car your own . Though one thing,
any thing I do I keep all the parts , both for what $ little you get for them, but more important , when I come to sell, it might be worth more and easer to sell if put back to original, and you can always sell the parts later . Just my opinion.
I had thought of doing the same 2010 bumper as you, but i love the XKR-S front, the problem is you have to change the Fenders / Headlights / Headlight washers. And undertray , Its the lights that are the killer, The all conversion woulld be very expensive.
So Im working on a Front XKR-S bumper that will incorperate the original Headlights and fenders which would make the cost more in line . like the one that Richard ( richzack ) posted awile back . Im trying to get Chris at Mina to work with me on this project , If not Ill go alone . Good luck, with yours im sure it will work out well. Bernie.

By the way my experience with Bumper repairs dont workout well with F /G, it will eventuatly break away. you should stay with an apoxy made for bumpers ,though first you have to find out what materials it is made of. The best way is to plastic weld.

Attached Thumbnails My XK progress.-dsc03445.jpg   My XK progress.-dsc03590.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Very nice! Love the hood. What year is your NSX? Is that a jdm rear tail light section?

Regarding the parking sensor holes, I plan to install an aftermarket parking sensor kit rather then try to retrofit oem which I hear is a lot of hassle not to mention the $$$.
Looks like a converted front end vs. updated NSX. Very cool. NSX has aged so well and a "keeper" of a sports car. Values on clean cars are very impressive.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by sherbercars

By the way my experience with Bumper repairs dont workout well with F /G, it will eventuatly break away. you should stay with an apoxy made for bumpers ,though first you have to find out what materials it is made of. The best way is to plastic weld.
I agree, if it were mine I would just put the sensors in to fill the holes even if you don't use them.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Good for you . , I love moding It makes the car your own . Though one thing,
any thing I do I keep all the parts , both for what $ little you get for them, but more important , when I come to sell, it might be worth more and easer to sell if put back to original, and you can always sell the parts later . Just my opinion.
I had thought of doing the same 2010 bumper as you, but i love the XKR-S front, the problem is you have to change the Fenders / Headlights / Headlight washers. And undertray , Its the lights that are the killer, The all conversion woulld be very expensive.
So Im working on a Front XKR-S bumper that will incorperate the original Headlights and fenders which would make the cost more in line . like the one that Richard ( richzack ) posted awile back . Im trying to get Chris at Mina to work with me on this project , If not Ill go alone . Good luck, with yours im sure it will work out well. Bernie.

I actually love this idea. I thought of this exact thing, but honestly I did not feel like going through the hassle lol. But I think this example is perfect. I at least think I want to do the two ducts near where the bumper meets the hood though. We will see.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
I agree, if it were mine I would just put the sensors in to fill the holes even if you don't use them.
You know what, this is (as simple as it is) a genius idea lol. I might just do that. I have so much on my mind with all my cars that this never even occurred to me. I was so focused unjust eliminating them. Great idea. I might just do that. And if I ever want to connect sensors in the future I don't have to work backwards.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
So, I contacted the dealership just to see how much the sensors would be so that I could maybe go that route. Well, although I get a discount the original price was like $180.00 each. What?!!? That's nuts. I'm not paying a grand to do that so yea, there's that. I wonder if the aftermarket sensors would fit in. Otherwise it's back to the original plan. Good old fashion filling and sanding lol

Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Why don't you check out used such as might be available from Coventry West?

Old 03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Sublyminal
So, I contacted the dealership just to see how much the sensors would be so that I could maybe go that route. Well, although I get a discount the original price was like $180.00 each. What?!!? That's nuts. I'm not paying a grand to do that so yea, there's that. I wonder if the aftermarket sensors would fit in. Otherwise it's back to the original plan. Good old fashion filling and sanding lol

Im sure there are lots of aftermarket out there, go on ebay and fire out emails on the sizes . also go to Ford and see what they have, another idea with tape measure in hand go around the car lots or your local parking lots and check out other makes. Bernie.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

In fact, if it's only for cosmetic purposes, why not see if a wrecker has some dead sensors? Obviously, if working ones are cheap enough, then that would give you the option of 'activating' them later. But if you just need something to plug the holes...

Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Stumbled across these on eBay, only $22.32 each. Sure it ships from across the pond, but it can't be anywhere close to that dealer price.

Genuine Jaguar XF XJ351 XK F Type Parking Sensor Jaguar Parking Sensor PDC | eBay

Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the conversion going? So to do this we just need a 2010-2011 XK/XKR front bumper, underpan, and the rectangle side vents? Any other surprises? i'm finding conflicting information on the grills being interchangeable.